ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shocking polls, 59%of brexitiers want to retain EU citizen

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Obie
Ireland

Shocking polls, 59%of brexitiers want to retain EU citizen

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:43 pm

A shocking poll indicates that 59% of brexit voters wants to maintain their EU citizenship, some even happy to pay for it.

Is this buyer's remorse or the have your cake and eat it mindset.

Not sure what to make of this post.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 19001.html
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

rooibos
Member of Standing

Re: Shocking polls, 59%of brexitiers want to retain EU citi

Post by rooibos » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:45 pm

No, it's just being hypocritical. All of the Brexiters I know are going to apply for an Irish passport. Not only they want to eat their cake and keep it, they also want to eat my cake.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:07 pm

You have a point.

I have spend the most part of my life in this place, but it is a bit hard to understand the mindset.

If i don't want EU nationals to come to my country, then i surely will not want to go to their own country.

One would have thought this superiority complex may well have disappeared after the breakdown of the appear, but it is clearly still there.

I hear politicians say things like, they need us more than we need them, we will have our cake an eat it, we should charge them for access to our market. We want the destruction of the EU.

Living in this post brexit britain is like living in a foreign land, a place i feel totally detached from.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 pm

rooibos wrote:No, it's just being hypocritical. All of the Brexiters I know are going to apply for an Irish passport. Not only they want to eat their cake and keep it, they also want to eat my cake.
Surely they'd need at least an Irish grandparent for that, or a continual line in the FBR, or the drastic step of marriage....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:59 pm

Wanderer wrote:Surely they'd need at least an Irish grandparent for that
That is at least a quarter of all British white population. Potentially more than 10 million and this is only a very conservative estimate.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:08 pm

rooibos wrote:No, it's just being hypocritical. All of the Brexiters I know are going to apply for an Irish passport. Not only they want to eat their cake and keep it, they also want to eat my cake.
One can only hope that they do not get to eat your cake. It will be a travesty.

It does not feel right for people who consciously and out of hate, voted leave , to be able to enjoy the benefit of the EU.

They should live them and Theresa May to dwell in their delusional world of a hard brexit and face the consequences.

Already the hard brexitier are facing the consequences and turning on their leader, we now have Mrs May on -31% approval rating in the UK, the most unpopular leader in Europe at -41, only second to Donald Trump at -71, and you have both Merkel and Macron will higher popularity , and a in fact a positive popularity rating in the UK than Mrs May, this shows that even the brexitier are abandoning her and the sinking ship of a hard brexit.

If i am a prime minister with such approval rating i will resign, but then again Tories don't have self respect.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Obie, whatever the result of the Brexit negotiations, most EU citizens will be made to leave. Not by force of law, but by making their lives uncomfortable.

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:08 pm

It's just a poll, they can be notoriously unreliable and like statistics even manipulated.
Take the number of EU citizens in the UK for instance, the number here at a given time can seem high, but what time of year was the data gathered. A lot of eastern Europeans come over during the crop harvest then go home (ah these are the ones gov want to issue permits to to come here and prop up our farm industry). Theres going to be a lot more here during July to October, if the statistics were gathered during January/February it would tell a different story. And some would come for the soft fruit harvest July/August and some for the root vegetable crop Oct/Nov, so we have a similar figure but they just happen to be a different bunch of transients. Added together these groups might make the number of immigrants look a lot bigger that it really is.
My preferred gauge is to listen to people around you, In pubs the work place or on the street, many are feeling or seeing the effects of the referendum, many can see a continued worsening of their situation.
It may have been close divide one way 48 to 52 but I can feel a change today.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.