ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh route after March 2017

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

7pixie
Newly Registered

Surinder Singh route after March 2017

Post by 7pixie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Hello,
Please let me know if the SS route is likely to be available until December 2017. I was planning to use it to reunite with my elderly parent.
Any thoughts/tips/information will be greatly appreciated.

negiyk
Newly Registered

Re: Surinder Singh route after March 2017

Post by negiyk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:30 am

Yes please I have the same question, I want to bring my Mother from India via Ireland (SS Route), just a another question about salary part in Ireland If I been offered 75k Euros will this be good salary to live with family in Dublin.

I mother coming to UK this year should I apply short stay ‘C’ visa for her from UK to go to Ireland.

Thanks waiting reply desperately

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fa ... s+citizens

Be prepared for a very lengthy wait! In November 2016 there were 10,000 pending applications for a short stay visa, with the higher percentage submitted by Pakistani nationals.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-an ... -1.2870965
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mkhan2525

Post by mkhan2525 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Also bear in mind that there may be an early cut off date for new EU national arrivals who will not benefit from permanent residency once the UK leaves the EU in 2019. That date may apply to Surinder Singh cases due to the fact that the British Citizen is treated as though they are an EU national.

negiyk
Newly Registered

Post by negiyk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:44 am

Sorry I didn't get line:
"British Citizen is treated as though they are an EU national" why British Citizen will treated as EU national?
I think withdrawing from the EU would see British citizens living in EU countries "becoming illegal immigrants overnight"
They can come back to UK no one ask right?

But my question here will be NON EU resident in this case my mother who now EU national but not British will she be allow to come to UK with me as British Citizen?

And can I apply short stay visa from UK while she will be here on 6 months visiting visa?

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:03 pm

negiyk wrote:Sorry I didn't get line:
"British Citizen is treated as though they are an EU national" why British Citizen will treated as EU national?
What I think mrkhan2525 is saying is that British Citizens cannot usually benefit from Treaty rights within the UK, it is only because of Surinder Singh that British citizens are treated as EEA Nationals
Family members of British citizens

9.—(1) If the conditions in paragraph (2) are satisfied, these Regulations apply to a person who is the family member (“F”) of a British citizen (“BC”) as though the BC were an EEA national.
- http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... ion/9/made

negiyk wrote: I think withdrawing from the EU would see British citizens living in EU countries "becoming illegal immigrants overnight"
I don't think that's going happen from Brexit, :roll:
negiyk wrote: They can come back to UK no one ask right?
Of course British Citizens can return to the UK at any time
negiyk wrote: But my question here will be NON EU resident in this case my mother who now EU national but not British will she be allow to come to UK with me as British Citizen?
At this moment in time, yes after SS she may come but we can't predict the future who knows what changes are coming.
The Daily Telegraph reported the Prime Minister was expected to announce that EU citizens arriving after a “cut-off date” of around 15 March would not be entitled to live in the UK permanently.
- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 01051.html

Of course, this is speculation but like mrkhan2525 said it is something to bear in mind.
mkhan2525 wrote:Also bear in mind that there may be an early cut off date for new EU national arrivals who will not benefit from permanent residency once the UK leaves the EU in 2019.

7pixie
Newly Registered

Post by 7pixie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your contribution and apologise about the late reply. I have done further research on this and found there have been changes to the SS route w.e.f. Feb 2017, The HO has stated, "Your application will be refused if it looks like you’ve only lived in another EEA country to gain entry to the UK by making a ‘Surinder Singh’ application."

Please let me know what is the criteria to determine the above?

Other bloggers have mentioned the following tests may be taken into account -
1. the family member’s immigration history – including previous applications for leave to enter or remain in the UK and whether they previously resided lawfully in the UK with the British citizen
2. if the family has never made such an application, the reason the family member did not to apply to join the British citizen in the UK before the British citizen moved to the EEA host country
3. the timing and reason for the British citizen moving to the EEA host country
the timing and reason for the family member moving to the EEA host country
4. the timing and reason for the family unit returning to the UK

Will this mean individual seeking to bring non-EEU parents using this route no longer be able to do so?

Will the application be disadvantaged if the non-EEU has made several 6 tourist months visas (without any refusals) to the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:49 pm

7pixie wrote:Thanks everyone for your contribution and apologise about the late reply. I have done further research on this and found there have been changes to the SS route w.e.f. Feb 2017, The HO has stated, "Your application will be refused if it looks like you’ve only lived in another EEA country to gain entry to the UK by making a ‘Surinder Singh’ application."

Will this mean individual seeking to bring non-EEU parents using this route no longer be able to do so?

Will the application be disadvantaged if the non-EEU has made several 6 tourist months visas (without any refusals) to the UK?
Which country were you thinking of using to come back via the SS route?

What country are your parents in/nationals of?

This route has been abused extensively by naturalised British citizens trying to bring elderly parents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters over using the SS route, so yes it is scrutinised heavily.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

7pixie
Newly Registered

Post by 7pixie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:52 pm

I am planning to move to Germany and my parent is a Canadian national over the age of 65.

I am self-sufficient so will not require any income support.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:57 pm

7pixie wrote:I am planning to move to Germany and my parent is a Canadian national over the age of 65.

I am self-sufficient so will not require any income support.
And you are obviously aware that your whole immediate family must move from the UK with you and all must integrate in the new community, learn the language etc etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

7pixie
Newly Registered

Post by 7pixie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. I am prepared to learn the language and do not have any other living family (or partner) apart from my one parent.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:05 pm

7pixie wrote:Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. I am prepared to learn the language and do not have any other living family (or partner) apart from my one parent.
Hope it works out for. Not sure what will happen once Article 50 is triggered.

As an aside, does your parent have a UK born grandparent by any chance?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

7pixie
Newly Registered

Post by 7pixie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks Casa.

I don't have any ancestry in the UK. I suppose it's just very bad luck when you are a small family, consisting of only two people, and get separated by borders

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:14 pm

7pixie wrote:Thanks Casa.

I don't have any ancestry in the UK. I suppose it's just very bad luck when you are a small family, consisting of only two people, and get separated by borders
I am CR001 (char) and not Casa.

Yes it is a shame. I am bringing both my parents over from South Africa but doing Ancestry visas for them as there too much uncertainty using the EU route now and they are scared they would end up having to go back to nothing after 2019 if we use the EU route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

7pixie
Newly Registered

Post by 7pixie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Ahhh sorry, yes it does say Char (CR001 not Casa) :-D

I wish you and everyone else on this board good luck as well x

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:21 pm

7pixie wrote:Ahhh sorry, yes it does say Char (CR001 not Casa) :-D

And you too, hope all works out for your and parent x
Char (CR001 not Casa)

prag99
Newly Registered

Post by prag99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:57 pm

CR001, please help me with my query on surinder singh route via switzerland

eea-route-applications/surinder-singh-r ... 29280.html

CR001 wrote:

And you too, hope all works out for your and parent x

prag99
Newly Registered

Post by prag99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 pm

7pixie, can you please keep your situation updated here.

I also want to bring my mother via thus route. I will be moving to germany or switzerland.

geeser
Newly Registered

Post by geeser » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:15 am

Hi everyone

I am not 100% sure if this is the place for me to post this, moderators, please feel free to move this if there is a more suitable forum.

I have recently applied for a Permanent Residency through the Surinder Singh route. My 5-year residency would have ended in September, but due to Brexit and for other reasons, I applied early, taking up on advice from the immigrationboards moderators.

I sent my documents in late May, and as of now, I have not received a COA, an acknowledgement, nothing from the Border Agency (Royal Mail tracking confirms next day delivery)--other than the fact that a payment was taken on 2 June. In theory I would be looking at getting my passport back in November, but maybe I should be prepared to wait for much longer? Is it possible to get our passports back in these applications (or does that delays even further the process)?

Thanks everyone, it it always good to read the forums, it helps to be informed.

Amo2012

Post by Amo2012 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:21 pm

geeser wrote:Hi everyone

I am not 100% sure if this is the place for me to post this, moderators, please feel free to move this if there is a more suitable forum.

I have recently applied for a Permanent Residency through the Surinder Singh route. My 5-year residency would have ended in September, but due to Brexit and for other reasons, I applied early, taking up on advice from the immigrationboards moderators.

I sent my documents in late May, and as of now, I have not received a COA, an acknowledgement, nothing from the Border Agency (Royal Mail tracking confirms next day delivery)--other than the fact that a payment was taken on 2 June. In theory I would be looking at getting my passport back in November, but maybe I should be prepared to wait for much longer? Is it possible to get our passports back in these applications (or does that delays even further the process)?

Thanks everyone, it it always good to read the forums, it helps to be informed.
Hi geeser,
i have also applied under SS route in the beginning of June, amount was deducted in the same week and at the end of the week we received our valid passports back but all other documents including RC are still with HO. We haven't received any letter for biometric yet, have you?
for the timeline please have a look at the link below (if it helps):

eea-route-applications/permanent-reside ... 22983.html

please share your case details.

Thanks

geeser
Newly Registered

Post by geeser » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:16 am

Hi ultragujar,
I am surprised to find out that you got your passports back, did you put in a request for this?

A previous document I had contained biometric information, I checked the box that said that in the form, as I am not expecting to have to do it again.

I am a non-EU citizen in a civil partnership with a UK citizen since 2007. We have lived in the UK and Spain together, for over 2 years (this is when I had he biometrics done, in Madrid). We returned to the UK in 2012, and now I am hopeful that I will get a permanent residency. It is not so simple because we are not in full-time employment and our work is very much based in Europe, so there have been many trips in these 5 years. I guess nobody's application is perfect ;)

Thanks for the link,

G.

Amo2012

Post by Amo2012 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 pm

geeser wrote:Hi ultragujar,
I am surprised to find out that you got your passports back, did you put in a request for this?

A previous document I had contained biometric information, I checked the box that said that in the form, as I am not expecting to have to do it again.

I am a non-EU citizen in a civil partnership with a UK citizen since 2007. We have lived in the UK and Spain together, for over 2 years (this is when I had he biometrics done, in Madrid). We returned to the UK in 2012, and now I am hopeful that I will get a permanent residency. It is not so simple because we are not in full-time employment and our work is very much based in Europe, so there have been many trips in these 5 years. I guess nobody's application is perfect ;)

Thanks for the link,

G.
Hi,
Thanks for your response.
I have applied on a durable relationship with BC after completing 5 years in UK. I didnt request for the passports return but it has been done automatically but we can't travel as RC is still with them.
We still need to do the biometrics yet as those are not done before but no letter so far......it looks like a long time regular wait........

Thanks

raholptl

Post by raholptl » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi,
Did you get the visa for your parents. or any one else got visa for their parents via surinder singh ruoute?

Thanks,