ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do i need COA before i do Nikah ( muslim marriage agrement )

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

ferrarilondon
Member of Standing

Do i need COA before i do Nikah ( muslim marriage agrement )

Post by ferrarilondon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:09 pm

I am wondering if some body could help me ia m an international student living in UK and ia m planing to get married to my GF of 5 years, she is British citizen and have been living in UK since her birth 23 years ago. Both of us are muslims and want to get married now. What is the procedure, can we perform NIKAH and other family celebrations before i apply for COA. I mean does home office have any objection with my case if we perform Nikah first and then apply for COA
Thank you very much and waiting for your kind replies.

Regards
Last edited by ferrarilondon on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ichabod
Newly Registered

Post by Ichabod » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 pm

You're better off applying for a CoA first. Just in case. You're kinda stuck if you're not granted one. It doesn't take that long if your case is straight forward. My husband who was on a student visa applied and we recieved our CoA within 14 days. Whereas my friends application took over two months and a lot of phone calls. Applied for CoA in May. We had our Nikah in June and registration in August. Goodluck.

parvez

Post by parvez » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:50 pm

I don't think a Nikah ceremony officiated in the UK is classed as a legal marriage as far as immigration rules for the UK are concerned. So I don't think your plans of having your Nikah should have an impact on your application for CoA

Miriam
Newly Registered

Post by Miriam » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:30 pm

parvez wrote:I don't think a Nikah ceremony officiated in the UK is classed as a legal marriage as far as immigration rules for the UK are concerned. So I don't think your plans of having your Nikah should have an impact on your application for CoA
Nikah is a legal marriage in UK if it is held in presence of a registrar from the registration district :roll:

hamid84
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by hamid84 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Any advice for me?? I am asylum seeker and married to my wife ofcourse who is on student visa.

I have not informed home office about this wedding. We have done Nikaah and have proof.

Do we also need to get COA??? Please also check my other post.

Sammie

Post by Sammie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:27 pm

Excuse the blonde moment.. but what's CoA?

could someone expand/explain the abbreviation?

Thanks?

Sammie

khan85

Post by khan85 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:31 am

sammie COA is a certificate of aproval

if your a student and want to get married in the UK u need to get permission from the home office.. so they giv u a COA iffffff u dont have this then no Imam performs the NIKKAH!! which i find really stupid!!

i had this problem, we arranged the wedding and everything was sorted out! then dad went to the mosque to get an imam to persom the Nikkah but they simply refused! no Mosque imam would agree to do the Nikkah so i had to get an imam who my husband knew personally and even then he was scared of puting the mosque name on the Nikah Nama!!!

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:24 pm

The way I look at it.

You need a Nikah to make it legal for you in the eyes of Islam to live/sleep wih your new husband or wife....i.e make it halal

Has no legal weight re: immigration though. Anyone asking me for a 'CoA' before entering into a Nikah can take a hike!

Surprised that Imam's are asking for CoA's though (if true)

khan85

Post by khan85 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:49 pm

its true!!
cuz i tried all the big mosques in Birmingham and NO IMAM was willing to do the Nikah!

i even got angry at one of the imams and said say if theres two people who want to do a Nikah and want to make there relationship halal, and they come to u and explain the situation will u turn them down and let them walk out together knowing that if they do sumthing haram ur gonna be partly to be blame! and he was like oh sister sister u have to understand we have follow percedures i just slamed the fone on him i no it was bad but he realllllllllllllllllllllllllly was getting to me!

and then tried central mosque and they said
1st u have to get COA, Then u have to register ur marriage in registry office and thennnnnnnnnn u book the imam 16 days before u want the Nikah done and then he will come and do the Nikah..

n i was like forget it!

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:42 pm

SO Khan, what if 2 Uk born Muslims want a Nikah - do they still ask for COA's?

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 pm

gollywood, The answer is NO. British citizens are not subject to immigration control. COA applies to only those who are subjected to immigration control.
If you are planning to get married or register your civil partnership in the United Kingdom and you are a person subject to immigration control while in the United Kingdom, you may need to apply for a certificate of approval.

The rules on certificate of approval do not apply to you if you:

are a British citizen; or
are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA); or
are the family member of an EEA national and have right of residence in the United Kingdom but are not yourself an EEA national; or
have in your passport a certificate of entitlement giving you right of abode in the United Kingdom; or
are not subject to immigration control.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 am

eliasuk4u wrote:gollywood, The answer is NO. British citizens are not subject to immigration control. COA applies to only those who are subjected to immigration control.
If you are planning to get married or register your civil partnership in the United Kingdom and you are a person subject to immigration control while in the United Kingdom, you may need to apply for a certificate of approval.

The rules on certificate of approval do not apply to you if you:

are a British citizen; or
are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA); or
are the family member of an EEA national and have right of residence in the United Kingdom but are not yourself an EEA national; or
have in your passport a certificate of entitlement giving you right of abode in the United Kingdom; or
are not subject to immigration control.
Thats a relief! So do Imam's demand to see passports (if they dont believe you?)

Bizzare.

The whole point of a Nikah is that it has nothing to do with immigration etc etc etc.

You have your Nikah - live a married life. Go to your respective countries and apply - and wait - and get depressed whilst waiting!

I agree that Nikah should serve no purpase as far as the immigration is concerned - but Imam's demanding to see cOAs!!!!

What next!

khan85

Post by khan85 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:39 am

lolz tell me about it!!

ferrarilondon
Member of Standing

Khan85 did ur hubby apply for COA

Post by ferrarilondon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Hey khan85 reading other questions looks like ur hubby had to apply for his settlemet visa from pak? but isnt he a student here. MY question is in order to change the visa status from international student to 2 yrs sppouse visa do we have to apply from back home embassy or from home office... Most of the Imams have told me that they want to see the COA first. but after consulting the solicitors we have found out that the NIKAH is not classed as legal marriage in UK anymore it has to be in registrar office. and to apply for registrar office both husband and wife should be living in same council for minimum of 3 weeks or sumthing like dat. so NIKAH is the only option when we start living as husband and wive ( according to the religeon) straight away we are applying for COA.

Khan wats happening with ur hubby application?

khan85

Post by khan85 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Ferari bhai jaaan salam!

well my story is a complicated :D

what happened was my hubby was an international student, but his viza expired and now he is an Overstayer :P and he hasnt got his pasport :D

so the story now is.. im collecting my documents and wer planning on going back to pak and applying from there!

so basically wen we wer gettingf married i found out from the mosques that he had to have a COA.. but he cudnt get that cuz he was an overstayer..

so no mosque imam was willing to do Nikkah and they said we shud do it thru an imam we personaly no.. so my hubby new an imam and he did the Nikah for us!

im almost there with my documents and inshallah will be heading back to pakistan to apply for the spouse viza.. but.. and that a bigggggggggg BUTTTTTTTTTTTT we duno how to get outa here without a passport :(