ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR based on Tier 2 questions

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

ILR based on Tier 2 questions

Post by paradoxical » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:49 am

Dear all,

I have my appointment next week, planning to apply for ILR based on 5 years of working on Tier 2. I just want to make sure that I have got everything in order so if you could kindly let me know if I am missing anything or anything else I need to take care of, before the appointment:

I have been in the UK since September 2007. I was on a student visa until July 2012 and then switched to Tier 2 visa, and I have been on Tier 2 visa since then and with the same employer. My job start date (also stated in the letter I have from my sponsor) mentions that I entered employment on 13th August 2012 and I am now applying next week with a view that even if the 5 year qualifying period starts from the start of job (rather than Tier 2 visa issue date for those who are in the country), I should be OK (this was based on some discussion in a different post, and a viewpoint by secret.simon that made me reschedule my appointment).

Can you kindly tell me if I need to carry anything else to the appointment?
At the moment, I have the following:

1: Filled SET(O) Form
2: Bank statement covering last 3 months (printed in Lloyds bank, NOT the statement sent home, and it is NOT on their letterhead. I went to the branch, and asked them to print it for me, which they did (the usual online banking statement, with lloyds logo). It does state my name, address, Sort Code, and that the statement was printed in the branch, and all transactions in the last 3 months. They have also stamped each page. The statement does not have my middle name. I hope that will not be any issue?! (I will have the debit card with me and that has my full name)
3: Last 3 months pay slips
4: Life in the UK test
5: Letter from employer, stating my current salary, SOC code and confirming that I am employed and will be required for the foreseeable future etc.
6: P60s for my last 5 years
7: My Masters and PhD Degree certificates, both studied in the UK. Do I need to do anything with NARIC etc.? At the moment, I am assuming that I will only provide my masters and PhD certificates and wouldn't need anything else as far as language is concerned. Is that correct?
8: 2 photographs, with name written on the back

Other questions:
In the SET(O) form on page 21, it asks "When did you (the main applicant) first enter the UK? This refers to the date of your first entry into the UK at the beginning of the period of stay on which this application is based."
I have entered the date of my first Tier 2 visa, which is July 2012. Technically, I did not enter the UK on this date, as I had been in the UK, and only switched from student visa to Tier 2 on that date. Is my understanding correct that I was supposed to enter the date of issue of first Tier 2 visa?
On page 28, it asks what any social cultural or family ties:
At the moment, I have stated about the two countries (UK and my home country). Against UK, I have mentioned that I have studied here (masters and PhD) and now work here. I have lots of friends and colleagues here. Do I need to elaborate a bit more, say a bit more or this doesn't matter and I can leave it at that?
For homecountry, I have said that my parents, siblings and extended family live there, was born there and did my first 16 years of education. I am assuming that is enough?

Many thanks for reading and hope to get a response soon.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR based on Tier 2 questions

Post by paradoxical » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:42 pm

anyone :( ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Why not apply for ILR based on long residence when you qualify in a couple of months? Far less documentation required.

Unless you have dependents, then Set(O) for your would make sense if dependents haven't got 5 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks CR001.
I do have 2 dependants (wife and son) and they will only complete their 5 years in 2021. My wife had her first Tier 2 dependant in June 2013, but unfortunately, it expired in July 2015, and we did not renew it then. She spent her whole pregnancy time in home country and then child was born abroad. New Tier 2 dependant was issued (new entry clearance in June 2016). At the time, I was not aware that there is no limit on absences for tier 2 dependants and hence did not make any effort to renew on time (thinking that she wouldn't qualify for ILR in 2018 as she isn't living with me for most part of the year) :/
Overall, it is still much better for me to get ILR on Tier 2 rather than long residency. If I get it on the basis of long residency, I will end up paying ~£3,200 more and the ILR for my dependants would be pushed to a year later (2022).

any thoughts on my other queries?