ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Australia to UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rahul190
Mood:
India

Australia to UK

Post by rahul190 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Hello,

Can Australian citizen get citizenship in UK ?

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Re: Australia to UK

Post by Tea_Rocket » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Yes, if the Australian citizen fulfils the requirements for obtaining UK citizenship.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:28 pm

rahul190 wrote:Hello,

Can Australian citizen get citizenship in UK ?
Under certain circumstances, but you haven't given an indication what has led you to ask the question. Do you want to give us a clue? :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

rahul190
Mood:
India

Post by rahul190 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Sure, my friend lives in Australian, got citizenship this year, now planning to settled in uk, what option or through which route it will be possible to have UK citizenship?

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:54 pm

rahul190 wrote:Sure, my friend lives in Australian, got citizenship this year, now planning to settled in uk, what option or through which route it will be possible to have UK citizenship?
Why can't you ask your friend how s/he did it?

My guess is that one or both of your friend's parents was a UK citizen at the time of his/her birth, so your friend is probably a UK citizen by descent, and got registered. This is, however, a guess, and you'd be better off asking your friend.

rahul190
Mood:
India

Post by rahul190 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:00 pm

No person is from Bangladesh and got citizenship this year in Australia

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Tea_Rocket wrote:
rahul190 wrote:Sure, my friend lives in Australian, got citizenship this year, now planning to settled in uk, what option or through which route it will be possible to have UK citizenship?
Why can't you ask your friend how s/he did it?

My guess is that one or both of your friend's parents was a UK citizen at the time of his/her birth, so your friend is probably a UK citizen by descent, and got registered. This is, however, a guess, and you'd be better off asking your friend.
The OP means his friend obtained Australian citizenship, not BC.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 pm

rahul190 wrote:No person is from Bangladesh and got citizenship this year in Australia
He doesn't qualify for British citizenship unless he has a family lineage of British citizens. There are no special concessions for Australian citizens.
(Casa, not CR001)

rahul190
Mood:
India

Post by rahul190 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Okay, one of the solicitor advised me that Australian citizen can work or study in UK for 2 years timeline same as like psw which is close now, is it true ?

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:26 pm

If your friend is under the age of 30, doesn't have any dependent children, and has at least £1,890 in savings, there a Tier 5 Youth Mobility scheme available to Australians (as well as people from certain other countries). Perhaps that's what your solicitor was thinking of?

However, this visa cannot be extended once it's expired. Your friend will most likely have to find sponsored employment and switch to a Tier 2 visa or qualify for a Tier 4 study visa if s/he wants to stay in the UK after the two years are up. S/he will not be able to apply directly for settlement or naturalisation from the Tier 5 visa.
Last edited by Tea_Rocket on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Australian citizens do not have any different path to citizenship to any other commonwealth country (of which the only difference to any other country is the ancestry route). Being Australian doesn't make it any easier or different really to being citizen of any other country.

Possibly the two year route you are referring to is the youth mobility scheme (tier 5) - this allows you to work and study in the UK for 2 years, but does not lead to settlement and thus citizenship. But you are not providing very much in terms of clues or information, so difficult to guess.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Also, it's not possible to switch from Tier 5 to any PBS category of visa (such as Tier 2 or Tier 4) from within the UK.

He/she would need very deep pockets to qualify for a Tier 4 student visa (£10,000+ per year) and a special work skill to qualify for a Tier 2 visa, with a Home Office registered sponsor.
(Casa, not CR001)

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Casa wrote:He/she would need very deep pockets to qualify for a Tier 4 student visa (£10,000+ per year) and a special work skill to qualify for a Tier 2 visa, with a Home Office registered sponsor.
To be fair, universities/research charities in the UK do sometimes provide scholarships for international students—I know because I'm currently on one. Additionally, I know of some Australian students whose (doctoral) studies in the UK were partially funded by scholarships from Australian institutions. So it is possible for people to come and study (at least at graduate level) without being massively wealthy. Though I suppose it's more akin to being a Tier 2 worker—you need to show that you have the qualifications and skills to be sponsored this way.

rahul190
Mood:
India

Post by rahul190 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:31 am

Okay, person is under 30 and if person come to UK as free to visit UK without visa, then after coming to UK, possible to apply for youth mobility visa from inside UK ?

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am

rahul190 wrote:Okay, person is under 30 and if person come to UK as free to visit UK without visa, then after coming to UK, possible to apply for youth mobility visa from inside UK ?
Judging from the information online, the answer is no. They expect applicants to apply from their home country.

The British citizenship forum is probably no longer the appropriate place for this discussion, as your friend currently does not have a case for naturalisation in the UK. Please try the Tier 5 forum, one of the other forums for points-based tiers, or the forum for employment offers and job seekers.