ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport or ILR for Child born outside UK?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

E44302

British Passport or ILR for Child born outside UK?

Post by E44302 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Dear moderators and gurus,

I have a quick question.

I have an ILR which was granted this year.

My child was born outside UK and currently is of age 3. At the moment he is on Tier 1 (General Dependent) which expires next year. He has not completed his 5 years here in the UK. I am pretty sure that is not required for dependents under 18.

Can I apply for his British passport using the JCAP process for MN1 now? Is he eligible for that?
Or do I need to first apply for his ILR next year, once that is granted, then apply for the British passport after the ILR?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport or ILR for Child born outside UK?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Children born abroad require ILR before they can apply for citizenship. Apply for ILR when other parent applies.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: British Passport or ILR for Child born outside UK?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:20 pm

The UK immigration status of children born abroad to non-EEA parents is in-line with that of the less-privileged parent.

S/he can apply for ILR with the second parent and can be registered as a British citizen when both parents are settled in the UK (ILR) with at least one parent also having acquired British citizenship. The child is also expected to have ILR before registration.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.