ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Application - short question, a bit Urgent

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

matt14

Spouse Visa Application - short question, a bit Urgent

Post by matt14 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 am

Hi there,

I am a refugee in the Uk and have had the same status since the past 3yrs. I am now sponsoring my wife from a non-EU country and whilst filling the application form, came across a somewhat confusing question. A little help from a kind experienced person / Moderator would be much appreciated.
In the part "Sponsor Details", there is a question asking,
'What is their (sponsor's) status in the UK?" The options given are, "British Citizen, EEA National, Permanent Resident, Temporary Resident."
Being a refugee, am i classed as a Permanent Resident or a Temporary Resident? My leave to remain ends in September 2018.

Many thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse Visa Application - short question, a bit Urgent

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:43 am

If your relationship with your wife was formed after you were granted refugee status, it appears that you should be using form SET18
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nion-set10

If you were married before being granted refugee status, SET10
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bers-set18
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

matt14

Post by matt14 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:57 am

Oh. My. God.
Casa, you have saved me. It appears that i have been ill-advised by an incompetent lawyer who will be hearing an earful from me first thing tomorrow morning.
Now, i need to go through the differences between this process and the normal spouse visa process before i can get any sleep. The relationship with my wife was formed after i was granted refugee status.
Thanks for your help, Casa, as always!

matt14

Post by matt14 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:51 am

Casa, I have gone through most of the information available on the Home Office website and it appears to me that the forms are the same. VAF4A and Appendix 2. Do you think that is correct?
I believe in Appendix 2, we would have to check the option "As the Post Flight family member (spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner or child) of someone with limited leave to enter or remain in the UK as a refugee or is the beneficiary of humanitarian protection." in the 'On what basis are you going to the UK?' section at the beginning.

From the link you provided:
SET18.5 Entry clearance application process

The post - flight family route should be linked to the ‘settlement’ visa categories;
applicants should apply on the ‘settlement’ application form VAF4a + ELT annex;
I'm not sure what this 'ELT annex' is though.

Could you please shed some light on this post-flight route?

Many thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:20 am

As you'll see, I posted this in the middle of the night (Ramadan) and didn't have the concentration to read through all the guidance. I'll check through it later but in the meantime another member may be able to advise.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

matt14

Post by matt14 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:42 am

I completely understand, no worries.

matt14

Post by matt14 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:32 am

And thanks for replying in the middle of the night! :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:54 pm

It seems that ELT annex may have been removed from the VAF4a form. Fellow moderator CR001 has found this link which is from 2010.
http://www.ingilterevizebasvurusu.com/A ... %20elt.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)

matt14

Post by matt14 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks Casa and CR001. So my understanding is correct then, the forms stay the same as the normal spouse visa application? VAF4A and Appendix 2? Thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Yes it would certainly appear so.
(Casa, not CR001)

matt14

Post by matt14 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks, Casa. I just have one more question regarding this application. I printed Appendix 2 and completed it by hand but at the end i realised there is no place for a signature! Where would the applicant (my wife) be signing this Appendix?

matt14

Settlement Visa for Spouse of a Refugee - Post Flight

Post by matt14 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi,

I haven't been able to find much information on this topic here or on the HO website so decided to put together all that i have found so far.

The Application Forms:
Now, this has been the most tricky part. I called the UKVI contact number 3 times and nobody could confirm this and kept giving me general information. One guy said and i quote, "This is rather an unusual query as we only get questions about normal spouse visa applications." Got absolutely no useful information from them.
One kind Moderator here, Casa, provided the following link which had most of the information:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nion-set10

Based on the information in the link above, and when applying online, it appears that the application form is that which is used for normal spouse visa applications BUT at the very start of the application, one must choose the visa category - Settlement - Post Flight Non Settled Person. I noted that the only question which was different from a normal spouse application was, "Where is your Sponsor now?". The rest of the questions were identical.
In Appendix 2 (financial requirement), again the visa category to be selected is Post Flight Family Member. (Does this Appendix need to be signed?)

One thing i noted which is different in this visa category is that apparently the Spouse visa is supposed to be for 63 months, I'm not really sure about this as my current leave to remain ends September 218, but I asked the UKVI via online contact and was given the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _ecb13.pdf

The law:
Requirements for leave to enter the United Kingdom as the spouse or civil partner of a person with limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as a refugee or beneficiary of humanitarian protection.

319L. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as the spouse or civil partner of a person with limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as a refugee or beneficiary of humanitarian protection, are that:

(i) (a) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person who has limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as a refugee or beneficiary of humanitarian protection granted such status under the immigration rules and the parties are married or have formed a civil partnership after the person granted asylum or humanitarian protection left the country of his former habitual residence in order to seek asylum or humanitarian protection; and
(b) the applicant provides an original English language test certificate in speaking and listening from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, which clearly shows the applicant’s name and the qualification obtained (which must meet or exceed level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference) unless:
(i) the applicant is aged 65 or over at the date he makes his application; or
(ii) the Secretary of State or Entry Clearance Officer considers that the applicant has a physical or mental condition that would prevent him from meeting the requirement; or
(iii) the Secretary of State or entry Clearance officer considers there are exceptional compassionate circumstances that would prevent the applicant from meeting the requirement; or
(iv) the applicant is a national of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; USA; or
(v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification(not a professional or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Masters degree or PhD in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the UK; the USA; and provides the specified documents; or
(vi) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Masters degree or PhD in the UK, and
(1) provides the specified evidence to show he has the qualification, and
(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the degree was taught or researched in English, or
(vii) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Masters degree or PhD in the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English; and
(ii) the parties to the marriage or civil partnership have met; and
(iii) each of the parties intends to live permanently with the other as his or her spouse or civil partner and the marriage or civil partnership is subsisting; and
(iv) there will be adequate accommodation for the parties and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which they own or occupy exclusively; and
(v) the parties will be able to maintain themselves and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds; and
(vi) the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.

319M. Leave to enter the United Kingdom as the spouse or civil partner of a refugee or beneficiary of humanitarian protection may be granted for 63 months provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 319l (i) - (vi) are met.

319N. Leave to enter the United Kingdom as the spouse or civil partner of a refugee or beneficiary of humanitarian protection is to be refused if the Immigration Officer is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 319L(i) - (vi) are met.

The Healthcare Surcharge:
Obviously, I was unable to find any information on how much must be paid or which category must be selected and the UKVI contact people were absolutely useless. The online payment website asked the 'Sponsor's route of settlement' but did not have a 'refugee' option. Therefore, it was really difficult to ascertain the amount to be paid. At the end, I simply selected 'Post Flight Family' out of frustration even though it is not MY route of settlement. I was asked when my leave expires and at the end, I was asked to pay 680 EURO and my bank statement shows a deduction of £540. However, if the spouse visa is to be issued for 63 months, I'm sure i will be asked to pay more. I have added this bit in the Additional Information part of the Application Form so the ECO does not penalise me/my wife for paying the wrong fee or selecting the wrong category. Maybe we were to be exempt from paying the health surcharge...?
The following is from the HO website (not sure if the underlined part applies to us):
When you don’t have to pay or get an IHS reference number

You don’t need to get an IHS reference number or pay the healthcare surcharge if:

you’re applying for a visitor visa
you’re applying for a visa (from outside the UK) for 6 months or less
you’re applying for indefinite leave to remain
you’re a diplomat or a member of a visiting armed forces and not subject to immigration control
you’re a family member of a European national with European Union treaty rights
you’re applying for a visa for the Isle of Man or Channel Islands
you’re a British Overseas Territory citizen resident in the Falkland Islands
you’re an asylum seeker or applying for humanitarian protection (or you’re their dependant)
you’ve been identified as a victim of human trafficking (or you’re their dependant)
the Home Office’s domestic violence concession applies to you (or you’re their dependant)
being made to leave the UK would be against your rights under Article 3 of the European Convention of Human Rights (or you’re their dependant)
My situation:
I am a refugee in the UK since September 2013, and my wife is from a non-EU country. I met my wife at the end of December 2013 and got married in June 2014 at Church. She was on a tourist visa at that time so we had to apply for a special licence within the Church of England to get permission for marriage. The marriage ceremony was not attended by my wife's family and as I am a refugee, i have no family. The people i live with and who i consider my family now attended the ceremony along with a few friends - about 17 people in total. After that, she applied for and got a student visitor visa twice in 2 years and spent 4-5 months each year with me while studying English. We communicated via Skype and WhatsApp whenever she was in her home country. In August 2015, I finally got a job which enabled me to meet the financial requirement and now, after being married for 2 long years, we are applying for a settlement visa from OUTSIDE the UK.

Documents we are submitting:
1. Passport of applicant (original + copy)
2. IELTS English language certificate (original + copy)
3. TB test (original + copy)
4. Marriage certificate (original + copy)
5. Marriage licence (original + copy)
6. Letter from Vicar of Church confirming marriage and our frequent visits to Church after marriage (original + copy)
7. Copy of sponsor’s BPR signed by Vicar of Church (original + copy)
8. Copy of sponsor’s travel document signed by Vicar of Church (original + copy)
9. Letter from sponsor confirming sponsorship and relationship
10. Letter from Landlord confirming permission to stay + his council tax payments form (original+copy)
11. Tenancy agreement (original + copy)
12. Home inspection report (original + copy)
13. Sponsor’s Employment Contract (original + copy)
14. 6 payslips starting from 12/2015 to 05/2016 (originals + copies)
15. P60 form (original + copy)
16. Bank statement from 01/12/2015 to 31/05/2016 (original+copy)
17. Tickets and Bookings of holidays
18. Wedding rings receipt
19. Western Union sending money forms x 6 (originals + copies)
20. Printed pictures x 60
21. Printed skype conversations x 70 pages
22. Printed WhatsApp conversations x 90 pages
23. VAF4A Application Form
24. Appendix 2.

Hope this information helps someone else.
Please feel free to add more information here and also have a look at the list of documents I'm providing and let me know if everything is in order.
At the moment we are thinking if we should choose a 'priority service' at the visa center where she will be applying which would let us have a decision on the visa application within 15 working days - for an extra £500. I'm not sure if it is affordable after paying all the costs associated with this application but a wait for at least 3 months (normal visa processing time for her country) would be brutal.

Thanks for reading!

matt14

Post by matt14 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi!

Update on the situation: My wife received her spouse visa (THANK GOD!) and arrived safely in the country. However, i note that the HO has granted her a normal spouse visa for the duration of 2.5 years instead of the Post Flight spouse of refugee visa which would be valid for 63 months. I wonder if the visa officer made a mistake or this is normal.

Admins / forum users: Do you think i should contact the HO to change the endorsements and change the length of the visa?

References:
Paragraph 319M. Leave to enter the United Kingdom as the spouse or civil partner of a refugee or beneficiary of humanitarian protection may be granted for 63 months provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 319l (i) - (vi) are met.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _ecb13.pdf

Omaruk
Newly Registered

Post by Omaruk » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi matt congeatulation enjoy a happy life with wife
Could you help as my case is bit simillar to yours there is my email if you could drop a mail and i will reply to you there please email address removed by moderator.
Please i really need help bro
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Omaruk wrote:Hi matt congeatulation enjoy a happy life with wife
Could you help as my case is bit simillar to yours there is my email if you could drop a mail and i will reply to you there please email address removed by moderator.
Please i really need help bro
Thanks
Suggest read the forum rules. Posting of personal contact details in any form on the forum is not permitted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Omaruk
Newly Registered

Post by Omaruk » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 pm

soory

Omaruk
Newly Registered

Post by Omaruk » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:07 pm

sorry appologise

matt14

Post by matt14 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Hi Omaruk,

Please post your query here and we will all be happy to help.

Kind regards

Omaruk
Newly Registered

Post by Omaruk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:15 pm

thanks again for the replay im on refugee status and my residence will end at 2019 and am married after the refugee in west africa so i want to know wich route of visa i need to apply and what documents and fees please .
thanks evryones who can help .

matt14

Post by matt14 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi there,

Please read the earlier posts on this topic and you will find all the answers. There is a list of documents and also the sort of forms that need to be completed.

All the best!

Omaruk
Newly Registered

Post by Omaruk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:00 am

thanks for reply did you pay visa fees and if yes how much ?
and do we need to earn 18600 to sponsor or not ?
regards

Omaruk
Newly Registered

Post by Omaruk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:04 am

thanks again so did you paid visa fees if yes how much and do i need to earn the minimum 18600 to sponsor her or not ?

matt14

Post by matt14 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi,

Yes i did have to meet the financial requirement of £18600, and the visa fee we paid was about £1200 i think plus the health surcharge which was about £500 i think.

Omaruk
Newly Registered

Post by Omaruk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 am

hi matt thanks again and all team coul tell me wich type of visa did you or do i need to choice at the visa4uk .
i mean visa route
i see
wife
husband
familly reunion article and the relatives ..
post flight non settled
sobwich one do you think guysvi need to flow ?
thanks a lot for your time :)

Mava14
Newly Registered

Post by Mava14 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 am

matt14 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm
Hi,

Yes i did have to meet the financial requirement of £18600, and the visa fee we paid was about £1200 i think plus the health surcharge which was about £500 i think.
Hi matt , I have the same situation here , granted refugee status in 2013 and got married after , about meeting the financial requirements,I am currently A Full time university student and I can’t work full time to have this salary!! Do you have any idea what should I do in this case!
Thanks