ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Staying in US on a Visitor Visa

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

FXR_1340
Member of Standing

Staying in US on a Visitor Visa

Post by FXR_1340 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:11 pm

I am marrying a US citizen in the next couple of months.

Is it permissible to remain in USA on a Visitor Visa whilst awaiting a decision on residence visa which will have been submitted prior to travelling to USA on the Visitor Visa?

For example, submit the necessary papers to US Authorities whilst in UK in November/December. Travel to USA on a Visitor Visa (ESTA) in December/January and remain in USA for up to 6 months (the permitted length of the ESTA). With a bit of luck the US Residence permission will be agreed by then (or at least not too far away). If not, a return to the UK for a few months should (hopefully) be sufficient to complete the residency application. (The months quoted are for illustration purposes only and may slip to the right)

I have an NET income from my occupational pension of approx 1000 USD per month. With the addition of my spouses income it would not be necessary for me to work.

Grateful for some guidance on this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Staying in US on a Visitor Visa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Not applying for a fiance/spouse visa then?

member/FXR_1340/posts/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

FXR_1340
Member of Standing

Re: Staying in US on a Visitor Visa

Post by FXR_1340 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 pm

CR001 wrote:Not applying for a fiance/spouse visa then?

member/FXR_1340/posts/

Plan B.