ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship -- 1.49 Tax Office Reference

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rainmanh
Newly Registered

citizenship -- 1.49 Tax Office Reference

Post by rainmanh » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi

I just setup myself as a sole trader and when filling the form for the citizenship I found on point 1.49 : "Address of Tax Office or Tax Office Reference"

I have been living in the country for 10 years and I got permanent residence (I am from European Origin), so I have been filling self assessments for years while being employed by other companies (the information on this case can be found in the payslips) but this is the first time I go as a Sole Trader and I am not sure where to find this information from?
Will be the UTR (Unique Taxpayers Reference Number) from the self assessment the right thing to use in here?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: citizenship -- 1.49 Tax Office Reference

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Yes, your UTR number.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rainmanh
Newly Registered

Post by rainmanh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 am

Thanks for the reply CR001, very much appreciated

mahasam

Post by mahasam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:14 am

I was under the impression that it should be the employer's tax reference, so I did put employers tax reference and the address. Can this cause any issue with the application?

Thanks!

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:25 am

CR001, UTR no. is not to be used as tax ref, Its generally a no in 3 digits e.g 126

If you call HMRC for SE. or sole traders they will tell you the equivalent used instead on PAYE.

B9X 1 AS is to be used as an address

mahasam

Post by mahasam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:28 pm

argus7 wrote:CR001, UTR no. is not to be used as tax ref, Its generally a no in 3 digits e.g 126

If you call HMRC for SE. or sole traders they will tell you the equivalent used instead on PAYE.

B9X 1 AS is to be used as an address
So if you are self-employed you sue UTR, if you are employed then you use employers 3 digit code? In my case, it was digits then / and a capital letter. THe address my employer provided to me was Manchester HMRC.

rainmanh
Newly Registered

Post by rainmanh » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:43 pm

oh boy...
I spoke with HMRC and they were pretty confused about the question and in the end they gave me my previous employer PAYE Tax Reference instead of the Tax Office Reference as a Sole Trader....
Worth to mentioned I electronically registered myself as a Sole Trader yesterday so nothing is in their records yet. Still, not great....

Indguru90

Post by Indguru90 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Some people give their employer's PAYE ref, others the accounts ref, some both. Self-employed people will usually use UTR. Your tax and NIC records are linked to your NI number, Q.1.49 is really an atavistic leftover. Any of the available refs should be fine. If the applicant is a recently registered sole trader and does not have a UTR, just say so.