ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice. Want to move to Ireland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

Ohoopee

Need advice. Want to move to Ireland

Post by Ohoopee » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:42 am

Hi, I am currently an American College Student. Due to my mother becoming ill, I had to drop some classes a few semesters back and I have only been able to take one or two since due to me having to work two jobs since my mother became ill. Now that my mother is better and I am able to go back to working one job, my University has denied my financial aid so now, I can't afford to finish college. I had always planned on trying to get a job in the UK when I got out of college but because of the recent turn of events, I starting looking into it early. It didn't take me long to realize that I wasn't going to be able to move to the UK unless I had a third level degree. My second choice was Ireland because I have a friend who lives just outside of Dublin. I have been emailing him for advice but he really doesn't know a lot about immigration after all being born in the USA, I couldn't tell any one of you even how to begin to immigrate to the USA. My friend who is an Irish citizen by birth is having problems him self finding a good job but he is currently still in college. I read that the only requirement to get a work visa for Ireland is getting a job but only in the Information Tech, Construction, Nursing, or Hotel/Rest. Tourism fields. At the University I have majored in both Hotel/Rest. Management and Information Technology. I am very, very good with computers and while I may not been able to program or stuff like that, I feel that I could become a valued member of a work team. I have posted my resume on www.topjobs.ie and www.monster.ie I have also applied at www.dell.ie I have not heard for any of them yet. Most job opening I find in Ireland are for multi-lingual people. Is there any other websites that I can go too to help me find a job in Ireland? Or can someone offer any other suggestions. I intend to go back to school once I get in Ireland and have worked for awhile and finish my information Tech. Degree. I still have plenty of time, I do not want to move until Late July 2005 at the earliest. Well, any help or advice you can offer will be greatly apprecaited.
:D

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:27 pm

Check out the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment (Irish government employment people) website www.entemp.ie and look under International Workers section for info on work permits and work authorizations.

Check out Department of Justice (they handle immigration) for details on residency, citizeship, etc. You don't have Irish parents or granny do you? (if you did, home free, pretty straight forward on getting citizenship on these basis).

Check out movetoireland.com for various details about moving to Ireland, Info on tax, houses, cars, phones.... really good and organized.

Regards,

Maria

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:28 pm

Forgot www.justice.ie is the Dept of Justice website.

Maria

Ohoopee

Post by Ohoopee » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:46 am

Thank you for you imput. Are you aware of any recrutement or employment agencies in Dublin? The smaller the better, I fell that smalller companies usually pay you more attenction. I have applied with every online recruter I could find and I haven't heard anything. I do have A LOT of Irish blood in me all on my mothers side but they have all been in the United States for a very long time so can't claim citizentship that way. My only option is finding a job, I would attempt to come over on a student visa but I dought that Ireland has any kind of financial aid for foreign students and I know for a fact that the US government will not get any financial aid to students wishing to study outside the USA.

Thanks again for your help.