ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is moving to UK from USA worth it in my situation? Help pls.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MissIntrigued
Newly Registered

Is moving to UK from USA worth it in my situation? Help pls.

Post by MissIntrigued » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi. Apologies in advance if this is long, but I need some serious advice, maybe from someone in similiar situation.

I am 25 years old, female, live in NY. I am not rich, and often struggle with money, but I make it work here in NY. I grew up here, my family is here, I have a car here, an apartment I pay rent on. It's hard for me, but I make it work.

I really wanted to try living in London for a year or two, see the world a bit. I have friends there, sort of , so I do know some people there. I might even be able to get myself a Tier 1 visa. But, I guess Im wondering....is it worth it?

I work in a field in which salaries dont tend to be too high (social services). I manage to make it work in NY, but Im afraid if I come to London, and am only able to find work in this same field, will I be sturggling? Will I be forced to live in some crap neighborhood? London seems so much more expensive than even New York! I am more than willing to try a new field, but with no experience outside of healthcare Im sure I wont find a really high salary starting out in a new field. I have a degree in psych from a great school in the US, so I am more than capable of learning a new trade.

I guess it's something I direly want to do, and in the same way I still am scared of such a big move. I think it's the money thing that scares me most, i worry about losing the little amount of comfort and stability I have here by moving there. Worried about finding work, I guess, even if I do get the visa.

Anyone else in a situation like, or close, to mine? It seems that so many of the people that apply to HSMP/Tier 1 are in jobs such as banking , finance, tech where they are guaranteed a high salary no matter where they go.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.......

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Re: Is moving to UK from USA worth it in my situation? Help

Post by RobinLondon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Given everything you've provided, I would not suggest that you make the move. From personal experience, I imagine that there are only three reasons why an American should make the move to the UK. Mind you, that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

1) You're being transferred by your company, who will assist you in making the move and hold your hand during the initial process. Also, you will have a support net of fellow employees as you initially create a new social circle.

2) You're partnered with a Brit. Again there is the promise of a social circle already established, and you can lean on his/her family/friends for support when you first get over here.

3) You're coming over for a short-term "adventure" from 3-12 months to see what life is like over here. Maybe it's tied to a short-term work assignment or some academic course or an extended holiday. The thing about this, though, is you see what life is like but don't cut your ties (e.g., job, housing, social connections) back home. If you develop a winning social circle and see you like it, then you consider making a more permanent move. If you see that it doesn't pan out, you still can head back home comfortably with your head held high. And hey, you've probably had a great learning experience to boot.

The reason why I say this is because for the vast majority of Americans without pre-existing family or work ties to the UK, there is really no reason to move over here. Life's not easier than in the US, and your network and situation is probably much better there (relatively) than starting from zero over here. In most fields including social work/psychology, it's not like there's some massive pay benefit to working in the UK vs. the US. In fact, it's likely worse when you consider the hassle, the expense and the exchange rates experienced to move over here. A lot of Americans have this fantasy of moving to the UK, but that's just what it is. A fantasy. Life's not any better. In fact, it's probably worse if you don't know people, don't have a job, and most importantly aren't prepared for the disruption and chaos that such a big shift brings.

So again, just my opinion. All the negatives can be superseded by the plusses of family, good friends and an amenable work-life situation. But if you don't have that in the UK, maybe it's wiser to just consider improving those aspects of your life in New York. All in all, it's probably cheaper!

And you won't have to deal with immigration issues either. Because trust me, that's a right b*tch.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:58 pm

MissIntrigued wrote:Hi. Apologies in advance if this is long, but I need some serious advice, maybe from someone in similiar situation.

I am 25 years old, female, live in NY. I am not rich, and often struggle with money, but I make it work here in NY. I grew up here, my family is here, I have a car here, an apartment I pay rent on. It's hard for me, but I make it work.

I really wanted to try living in London for a year or two, see the world a bit. I have friends there, sort of , so I do know some people there. I might even be able to get myself a Tier 1 visa. But, I guess Im wondering....is it worth it?

I work in a field in which salaries dont tend to be too high (social services). I manage to make it work in NY, but Im afraid if I come to London, and am only able to find work in this same field, will I be sturggling? Will I be forced to live in some crap neighborhood? London seems so much more expensive than even New York! I am more than willing to try a new field, but with no experience outside of healthcare Im sure I wont find a really high salary starting out in a new field. I have a degree in psych from a great school in the US, so I am more than capable of learning a new trade.

I guess it's something I direly want to do, and in the same way I still am scared of such a big move. I think it's the money thing that scares me most, i worry about losing the little amount of comfort and stability I have here by moving there. Worried about finding work, I guess, even if I do get the visa.

Anyone else in a situation like, or close, to mine? It seems that so many of the people that apply to HSMP/Tier 1 are in jobs such as banking , finance, tech where they are guaranteed a high salary no matter where they go.

Are you a qualified Psychologist and have you been woking in that capacity back in the US? If that is the case, you might be able to find work as a Psychologist in this country...It might be tricky finding a permanent post (that doesn`t appear to be your objective anyway) but there is a fair bit of temp work around (fairly well paid as well, depending on experience) as most Psychologists somehow seem to be young women who tend to be on perpetual maternity leave! :lol:

Have a look on the following website

www.jobs.nhs.uk

and see if you can find anything that suits you. There might be openings in the private sector as well. Mind you, you would need a Tier1/HSMP visa in order to find work as most employers would not consider applicants who need work permits.

I do not think its unusual for American Psychologists to move to this country..I personally know 2 although I am not sure about the reasons why they moved here (could be family reasons). I feel that American Psychologists are favoured in this country because to the absence of the language barrier as well as the fact that most of the groundbreaking research in the field has taken place over there and therefore ppl trained there are probably perceived as better than the locals...

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:39 pm

According to the OP's post on the HSMP board, she only has a BS in Psychology. As a result, she would likely not be qualified to assume posts in the UK that require DClinPsy, PsyD or PhD-level qualifications as a prerequisite. People with bachelors in the UK do work in the psychology field within the NHS, but usually as Assistant Psychologists, and their salaries are in the range of £16,000-24,000 a year. Granted that many of them are gaining experience before starting doctoral work, after which they may earn significantly more (£36K+ depending on experience and your role).

As an aside, if you're thinking of doing a clinical psychology course (DClinPsy) in the UK, you need to be settled here. Competition for spaces is high, and they do not attract work permits. Students are employees of the NHS during their course (and receive a salary!). But they need to be British, EU citizens, ILR-holders or otherwise settled permanently in the UK.

So the question for the OP would be how these salary levels look in comparison to what she's getting in the States. And she should probably look into getting accreditation from the BPS if she does want to work in this field.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:53 pm

iF you find yourself struggling in NY, it won't be any better in London especially without a support system. I am not even in one of the 3 catergories Robin finds worth coming or forget it and I have a lot of gumption. You don't sound like the type with the grit to make it here. Sorry.

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:25 pm

MissIntrigued wrote:Hi. Apologies in advance if this is long, but I need some serious advice, maybe from someone in similiar situation.

Hi,

You have had some great inputs from some experts above.
I would like to add healthcare in UK is administered by NHS.
I suggest that you have a look at the following website:
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/

Have a look at their website and you will have some sort
of idea on salary/qualifications for the posts that you are interested in.
Ofcourse you will have to sort out the immigration bit yourself.

Many thanks

Liberal Immigrant

Post by Liberal Immigrant » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:15 am

if its the British life u r fascinated about, then instead of moving 2 london, u can try somewhere far cheaper i.e. rest of the UK e.g. Edinburgh.

afterall, it seems 2 me that its the fascination of britain which is so appealing 2 u and if thats the case, then Edinburgh i am sure will not disappoint u. once u settle down there, u can always then look around and consider moving down 2 london.

but moving from US to london is a NO NO! london is toooooo expensive, an average 1 bed flat in an average neighbourhood will cost u atleast £700-900 / month in rent. the same thing in manchester or edinburgh or birmingham will be half the price.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:37 am

RobinLondon wrote:Given everything you've provided, I would not suggest that you make the move. From personal experience, I imagine that there are only three reasons why an American should make the move to the UK. Mind you, that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

1) You're being transferred by your company, who will assist you in making the move and hold your hand during the initial process. Also, you will have a support net of fellow employees as you initially create a new social circle.

2) You're partnered with a Brit. Again there is the promise of a social circle already established, and you can lean on his/her family/friends for support when you first get over here.

3) You're coming over for a short-term "adventure" from 3-12 months to see what life is like over here. Maybe it's tied to a short-term work assignment or some academic course or an extended holiday. The thing about this, though, is you see what life is like but don't cut your ties (e.g., job, housing, social connections) back home. If you develop a winning social circle and see you like it, then you consider making a more permanent move. If you see that it doesn't pan out, you still can head back home comfortably with your head held high. And hey, you've probably had a great learning experience to boot.

The reason why I say this is because for the vast majority of Americans without pre-existing family or work ties to the UK, there is really no reason to move over here. Life's not easier than in the US, and your network and situation is probably much better there (relatively) than starting from zero over here. In most fields including social work/psychology, it's not like there's some massive pay benefit to working in the UK vs. the US. In fact, it's likely worse when you consider the hassle, the expense and the exchange rates experienced to move over here. A lot of Americans have this fantasy of moving to the UK, but that's just what it is. A fantasy. Life's not any better. In fact, it's probably worse if you don't know people, don't have a job, and most importantly aren't prepared for the disruption and chaos that such a big shift brings.

So again, just my opinion. All the negatives can be superseded by the plusses of family, good friends and an amenable work-life situation. But if you don't have that in the UK, maybe it's wiser to just consider improving those aspects of your life in New York. All in all, it's probably cheaper!

And you won't have to deal with immigration issues either. Because trust me, that's a right b*tch.

I agree with Robin. A typical U.S. citizen has nothing to gain and perhaps a lot to lose by moving to the U.K., except in the situations mentioned.

Recognition of qualifications may also be a serious issue.

The main alternatives for an American who wants a change are:

- relocate interstate; or

- move to Canada. There would still be a visa situation to negotiate but the processing times are not as long for Americans and there may be the possibility of a work permit under NAFTA.

- For something further afield, I would think Australia has more to offer an aspiring American migrant (with a professional/skilled occupation) than the U.K.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:16 am

Not to disagree with anything that anyone has said, but, on the other hand... sometimes you have to follow your dream, or at least explore the possibility properly.... Not all our decisions in life can be based solely on whether something is "worth it" in purely rational terms.

Just saying...

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:42 am

I agree with Robin.. As someone that made the move to the UK from the US, for one of the 3 reasons mentioned, I find my standard of living to be a lot less than had I been able to stay at home..

That's not to say it's all bad.. But career-wise, it can be hard to make the transition into something equivalent, and it can be hard to get the income needed to equate to the same standard of living as in the US..

If you're just coming to check it out, then sometimes you have to follow your dreams so you have no regrets.. But recognize that it will probably mean a step down in standard of living..

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:52 am

Liberal Immigrant wrote:if its the British life u r fascinated about, then instead of moving 2 london, u can try somewhere far cheaper i.e. rest of the UK e.g. Edinburgh.

afterall, it seems 2 me that its the fascination of britain which is so appealing 2 u and if thats the case, then Edinburgh i am sure will not disappoint u. once u settle down there, u can always then look around and consider moving down 2 london.

but moving from US to london is a NO NO! london is toooooo expensive, an average 1 bed flat in an average neighbourhood will cost u atleast £700-900 / month in rent. the same thing in manchester or edinburgh or birmingham will be half the price.
I agree, go to London; I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated, as Alan Partridge once said.

When my gf first arrived in the UK from Russia, we spent some time in London, she loved it totally, asked if we could move there etc, relocate from the frozen north and all that.

Of course we didn't, but she's hankered for London all this time, quite a few years.

Two of her friends arrived in London from Russia and she went to down to meet that on friday. Now she said she hates it and never wants to go again.

Veneer soon wears off....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:29 pm

"mugged or not appreciated"

Hahahaha, that made me laugh..

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:59 pm

UKbound wrote:"mugged or not appreciated"

Hahahaha, that made me laugh..
Alan Partridge is God;

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Alan_Partridge

Enjoy!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:50 pm

I really wanted to try living in London for a year or two, see the world a bit.
So it's clear that the OP wants to do this temporarily. I think it's a great idea. I took a job in Europe after I finished school for this exact reason. Why the hell not live somewhere else for a while and see what the world is like?

If you can find a job and a work permit (which is sounding iffy, I have to admit), or if you can figure out some other way of getting to the UK (ancestry visa, maybe?), you could have a blast! Yes, you may not make loads of money, but so what? I saved nothing from my years working in Dublin, which is one of the most expensive cities in Europe. I lived in shared housing, and spent all my money going to Paris, Iceland, Portugal, Morocco, London, etc. That was my goal for moving to Europe, so making money was not a big deal for me.

Like in any big city, lots of poor people live in London. And lots of slightly better off people live in London very frugally. If you don't like it, move back! What's the big problem? Do you have a partner or children? No? Then your only problem is finding some way of living and working in the UK legally.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Platinum wrote: If you can find a job and a work permit (which is sounding iffy, I have to admit), or if you can figure out some other way of getting to the UK (ancestry visa, maybe?),
American citizens don't qualify for the ancestry visa (or working holiday visa) unless they also hold citizenship of a Commonwealth country.

MissIntrigued
Newly Registered

Post by MissIntrigued » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi

I guess there is some confusion as to my intent to move to London....I don't at this time have an intention to move there forever. Really, right now I'd just like to go over there for a year or so, which would give me a chance to see a bit more fo the world and try living abroad for a while. I know other people that have lived abroad and traveled alot and say i t was the best thing they've ever done.

I do have friends in London, it's not as if I don't know ANYONE there, which is why I'd rather go to London and not some other place in England where I won't know anyone. To be honest, there happens to also be someone of the male persuasion that lives in London as well, and while I know he likes me, I also know he'll never give the relationship a chance with me living over here. His last relationship ended due to long distance and he doesn't want to risk it again. But, that isn't my entire reason, though I would be lying if I said it had nothing to do with it....

Anyway, could anyone tell me what would be , realistically, the MINIMUM salary one would need to afford to be able to live in a decent part of London, pay their bills, incidentals, and still have enough to do a bit of traveling on the weekends? I don't mind living with flatmates, which Im sure I'd have to do anyway.

After looking online, it seems average salaries for my current position here in the US in the UK is in the range of 25K GBP per year. That's about 50 thousand USD, which I could live off of here in NY, but is that feasible in London? I dont know what taxes are like in the UK so unsure what I'd be bringing home from that sort of salary.

Anyway, thanks for the advice

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:16 pm

I wouldnt come even because of that bloke who won't chance another long distance relationship. Once you are here, you are dependent on him whether you are financially or not. How old are you? There are some youth programs you could try that might provide you a visa.

MissIntrigued
Newly Registered

Post by MissIntrigued » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:24 pm

SYH wrote:I wouldnt come even because of that bloke who won't chance another long distance relationship. Once you are here, you are dependent on him whether you are financially or not. How old are you? There are some youth programs you could try that might provide you a visa.
SYH, I wouldn't be coming because of the bloke, not at all. I have actual friends besides him that live in London, and even if me and him didn't date, we would still be friends. I'm saying if things went well with him while I was there that would be a huge bonus, but it's not my sole reason to move there.

Main reasons are really the urge to try something new, to live somewhere new , for a while, travel, etc. That is why I am very careful about deciding this, because I want to be sure that I can find a way to support myself and not have to rely on anyone. I suppose worse comes to worse I am forced to come back to USA right.... *sigh*

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:28 pm

MissIntrigued wrote:
SYH wrote:I wouldnt come even because of that bloke who won't chance another long distance relationship. Once you are here, you are dependent on him whether you are financially or not. How old are you? There are some youth programs you could try that might provide you a visa.
SYH, I wouldn't be coming because of the bloke, not at all. I have actual friends blah blah and him didn't date, we would still be friends. I'm saying if things went well blah blah huge bonus, but it's not my sole reason to blah blah.

Main reasons are blah blah. That is why blah blah this, because I want to blah blah and not blah blah. I suppose blah blah *
Now doth protest too much.
I already said how old are you in terms of finding a visa, you want to get here or not
Last edited by SYH on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:04 pm

MissIntrigued wrote:Main reasons are really the urge to try something new, to live somewhere new , for a while, travel, etc. That is why I am very careful about deciding this, because I want to be sure that I can find a way to support myself and not have to rely on anyone. I suppose worse comes to worse I am forced to come back to USA right.... *sigh*
Home is not going anywhere. If you are here for 6 months or 12 months, nothing will have changed. If you don't like it, you can go back. My advice would be to do lots of research on salaries to see if you will earn enough to enjoy yourself when you are here. Be aware that buying power is less so lifestyle compromises and flexibility are needed. Maybe look at all the options on where you could go before deciding on London? There are lots of places with friendlier visa regimes and nicer weather :)

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:04 pm

UK is in the range of 25K GBP per year. That's about 50 thousand USD, which I could live off of here in NY, but is that feasible in London?
Yes, definitely. Especially if you're willing to live in shared accommodation. What with travelling and everything, you won't save anything, mind you. But you can definitely do what you want on 25K/year. (Obviously, this is assuming you aren't a profligate spender.)

Your only problem really is how you could get a visa/work permit/what-have-you. This may be more difficult than you'd think.

MissIntrigued
Newly Registered

Post by MissIntrigued » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Platinum wrote:
UK is in the range of 25K GBP per year. That's about 50 thousand USD, which I could live off of here in NY, but is that feasible in London?
Yes, definitely. Especially if you're willing to live in shared accommodation. What with travelling and everything, you won't save anything, mind you. But you can definitely do what you want on 25K/year. (Obviously, this is assuming you aren't a profligate spender.)

Your only problem really is how you could get a visa/work permit/what-have-you. This may be more difficult than you'd think.
Everyone keeps saying how difficult it is to get a visa, but Im a little confused. I read into this former-HSMP/now Tier 1 visa, and it would appear that if you have enough points, there is no reason to be denied, right? I mean, I have 20 points for age (Im 25 years old), 30 points for education (bachelor's), and enough salary for the remainder 25 points between my two jobs. I obviously have the english language requirement, and will have saved enough to satisfy maintenance funds by then. So I imagine the only difficult part is the hassle of getting all the documentation to prove this, but once I do, they shouldn't have reason to deny me, right? I would think the hardest part isn't even finding the visa, which in it's own right is expensive and a pain in the bum, but finding the job afterward. That's the part that worries me more....spending all that time and money getting a visa and then having no job!

I feel like I will only have one chance in life to try something like this, while I have no husband, no children, etc. I've spent my life always being the careful, responsible one, doing the "right" thing, and for once I want to be able to take a chance, try something new....I dont know. I work so hard right now, and go to school, and I just want a break for a while, I need a change of scenery, and London seemed ideal because I have friends there, probably more than I have here lately.

Whatever, maybe I don't know what Im talking about. But again, continued advice is appreciated. Especialyl from anyone who has been in my situation or close to it....

martin001
Newly Registered

Post by martin001 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:28 pm

@MissIntrigued

JUST.DON'T.DO.IT.

Seriously, it will be the worst decision you will have ever made. I've lived here in London all of my life and it is a nasty, dirty, overpopulated, expensive, violent city and i cannot wait to leave.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:42 pm

martin001 wrote:@MissIntrigued

JUST.DON'T.DO.IT.

Seriously, it will be the worst decision you will have ever made. I've lived here in London all of my life and it is a nasty, dirty, overpopulated, expensive, violent city and i cannot wait to leave.
and what's stopping you?

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:28 am

martin001 wrote: [...] London [...] is a nasty, dirty, overpopulated, expensive, violent city and i cannot wait to leave.
This made me laugh; surely one can't have forgotten that Miss Intrigued lives in New York ?!?!

If you (Miss Intrigued) can qualify for HSMP/Tier 1, then by all means you should consider coming. Collecting the documentation for the visa is tiresome and painstaking but not difficult. At the same time, you should put out feelers for jobs in your field (or in a field to which you might want to switch). I came here from the academic/charity sector in the American Northeast and found the job market here very receptive, despite my only having educational experience in the UK, not professional experience in the UK; the salaries are slightly lower here than in the US, but adjustments in quality of living occur on a number of fronts. (Anyway, you live in NY on a social-services income, so you know where you can cut corners.)

If you find that you have reasonable prospects for employment here, then you should consider coming for a probationary period, if nothing else. It is equally possible to view coming here as a 2-3 year interlude, or as a permanent, live-changing event; but you needn't decide right now which one it would be. The worst possible outcome will be that it goes pear-shaped, and you chalk it up to experience and return to NY. But if one can't be experimental and resilient in one's 20s, then when ?

AG