ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK born Malaysian application for WP

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anas1008
Newly Registered
Malaysia

UK born Malaysian application for WP

Post by anas1008 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi,

I'm a Malaysian born in the UK (Sunderland, 1981). I'm still using UK birth cert with attached letter from Malaysia High Commission as both of my parents is Malaysian. I'm currently working in Malaysia as a Planner cum Cost Controller for the Oil & Gas sector.

I'm interested to work and been trying to find work in UK/Eu. There's a lot of vacancies for my position in Aberdeen and some parts of Europe. But the requirement for these jobs is UK/Eu residents.

My question would be:

1) is there any advantage for a UK born Malaysian like myself to apply work in the UK without any sponsorship?

2) if so, what are the procedures for the application.

3) Basically, with having a UK birth cert, what are my privileges in securing jobs in the UK?

Appreciate your expert advise.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Anas Ismail

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK born Malaysian application for WP

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Just being born in the UK doesn't give you any rights.

What were your parents immigration status at the time of your birth?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anas1008
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by anas1008 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. My father was a student at Univ. of Sunderland. We went back in 1983.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:00 pm

I will move this topic to the British citizenship sub forum where you are more likely to get a better response. You are clearly a Malaysian citizen and as such, Malaysia does not allow dual citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nat ... itizenship
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Isn't the OP British by birth as he was born in the UK before 1983 and parents were not diplomats?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Backer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:32 pm
Isn't the OP British by birth as he was born in the UK before 1983 and parents were not diplomats?
Which is what my link infers and which is why topic was moved to this sub forum for others more knowledgable on pre 1983 law to reply :idea:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:41 pm

OP didn't/doesn't have RoA though....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:52 pm

I thought his case was simple from the British law perspective at least. Why doesn't he have RoA?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Backer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:52 pm
I thought his case was simple from the British law perspective at least. Why doesn't he have RoA?
Well I'm no expert but I thought RoA means free of immigration control which OP wouldn't be on a student visa...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:20 pm

The OP lives in Malaysia and was born in 1981 in the UK to non diplomats parents. On the face of it he seems to me British already and can apply directly for British passport. His only issue may be with Malasiyan authorities retarding dual citizenship but I don't know too much about that..

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:28 pm

anas1008 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:25 pm
I'm a Malaysian born in the UK (Sunderland, 1981).
As Backer has mentioned above, because you were born in the UK before 1983, you are automatically a British citizen. Although Malaysia does not recognise dual citizenship, I think (I am not sure) that people born with (as opposed to those who apply subsequently for) dual British/Malaysian citizenship are allowed to keep both citizenships, so long as you do not hold a non-Malaysian passport.

The solution to that is to apply for a CoE-RoA, which will be stamped in your Malaysian passport, but which will allow you to work in the UK (not the rest of the EU, which requires a full British passport).

The proof required will be your Malaysian passport and your full British birth certificate.

Because you were born in the UK, you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent and so your children born anywhere in the world will also be British citizens automatically.

As an aside, my current manager at work has a similar background. Because he was born in the UK before 1983, he is British by birth, though neither his older nor younger siblings have that advantage. Like you, he was born to parents in the UK on a student visa.
Wanderer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm
OP wouldn't be on a student visa...
OP's father was a student in the UK, not the OP himself.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

anas1008
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by anas1008 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Thank you all for the explaination.. i will try to proceed with CoE-RoA application.. 👍👍👍