ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa for My Russian Wife - Please Help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

johnyd123
Newly Registered

Re: Spouse Visa for My Russian Wife - Please Help

Post by johnyd123 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Hello Simon,

thanks again for your extensive answer, you are a star!

I have prepared all our chats/emails/hotel reservations, etc already, so no problem here.

Do you know if UKVI has the same policy not to accept paperwork locally in other Eastern European countries like Belarus, Ukraine? For some reasons, TLS (UKVI's agent) websites (both Russian/Ukrainian) are silent on this issue. The reason I am concerned about it is I do not know whether I should leave all the paperwork in Russia or simply leave it in the UK and later post it to Sheffield?

Does the Sheffield's office have a contact no?

askhans786

Post by askhans786 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:43 am

Hi Johnny,

If you are applying from Russia you will have to send all documents to Sheffield it says on TLS website if you scroll through old news. I applied in April and had to submit all the documents to Sheffield, In Moscow my wife only submitted Passport and gave her Biometric.

Kind regards,
AK

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:02 pm

johnyd123 wrote:Hello Simon,

thanks again for your extensive answer, you are a star!

I have prepared all our chats/emails/hotel reservations, etc already, so no problem here.

Do you know if UKVI has the same policy not to accept paperwork locally in other Eastern European countries like Belarus, Ukraine? For some reasons, TLS (UKVI's agent) websites (both Russian/Ukrainian) are silent on this issue. The reason I am concerned about it is I do not know whether I should leave all the paperwork in Russia or simply leave it in the UK and later post it to Sheffield?

Does the Sheffield's office have a contact no?
Not sure about the other former USSR states but askhans has already replied to that. Yes Sheffield offices do have a general enquiry number, you will need to do an internet search for "ukv&i sheffield phone number" . They only give out very general information about the centre though nothing about applications.

Cheers
Simon
I'm not an expert and only answer from my personal experience and understanding of the rules. Spouse Settlement Visa Granted for my wife July 2017. You should not take my advice as absolute.

askhans786

Post by askhans786 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi Both,

Alhumdullilah my spouse got her visa from Russia - Moscow.

Took exact 3 months applied on 4th April received aproval on 6th July.

Many thanks for this board and members for sharing tips and stories.

No email from UKBA straight decision.

Kind Regards,
AK

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:25 am

askhans786 wrote:Hi Both,

Alhumdullilah my spouse got her visa from Russia - Moscow.

Took exact 3 months applied on 4th April received aproval on 6th July.

Many thanks for this board and members for sharing tips and stories.

No email from UKBA straight decision.

Kind Regards,
AK
Fantastic news! I already replied on the other thread. Thank you for posting to this one too.

Wish you and your wife a very happy future.

Cheers
Simon
I'm not an expert and only answer from my personal experience and understanding of the rules. Spouse Settlement Visa Granted for my wife July 2017. You should not take my advice as absolute.

Andrew1972
Newly Registered

Post by Andrew1972 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:46 am

Hi

Im a UK citizen, and my wife is Russian. We married in Cyprus in January, and once her passports had all been changed to her married name, we applied for the spouse visa through the office in Moscow (non priority). She gave her biometrics and passport on May 19th, and I sent all other documents from here in the UK, and they were signed for on May 24th.

Since then we've had nothing other than the standard email to say that the online application had been received in Sheffield. No sign of the documents being returned yet, so i assume they haven't even opened them yet.

Andrew

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Andrew,

thanks for sharing the timeline. It's absolutely normal not to have heard anything. They won't contact you or your wife unless they need additional evidence. You may not hear from them at all until they invite your wife to collect her passport with the decision.

Once you completed the Biometrics, did you get the confirmation email from Sheffield Visa section a few days later?

If yes, all is well.

As you will see from my timeline we did biometrics in St Petersburg on 21st April (a Friday). Day 1 is the day after biometrics so for us that was Monday 24th. Today is 56 working days on priority and neither of us have ever been contacted, we've had no decision and I've not received any of our documents back.

I completely understand the frustration and stress of just being in the dark with days turning into weeks and weeks turning into months. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done until 60 working days have passed.

I recognise the temptation to call them or email them and try to get an update but believe me, I've done both twice and it's a complete waste of money. All they did was confirm our application was being processed, treated as priority - BS - they were doing the final checks and nothing could be escalated until 60 working days had elapsed. I've even contacted my MP and they confirmed the same.

All I can advise is sit tight and hope you get a decision before 60 days. The published figures for 100% of settlement applications decided in May this year was 60 days for Moscow and SPb. I'm praying this is the same for July!!

By the way, I've now changed my opinion, I absolutely would not have bothered paying for priority having known I would get to this point lol

Please do keep us updated if you hear anything. Good luck.

Cheers
Simon

Andrew1972
Newly Registered

Post by Andrew1972 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is frustrating, but learning to be patient! We did get the email a few days after the biometrics, so all good.

I'll keep you updated when I hear more

Andrew

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:55 pm

So, after 58 working days they finally contacted my wife this morning with the application decided email!!!

Quick recap of my timeline

Application Category: Spouse (Wife) Priority
Application Submitted Online: 19th April
Biometrics & Passport Submission (Location): St Petersburg Russia
Biometrics & Passport Submission (Date): 21st April
Application confirmed by Sheffield Visa Section: 24th April

Supporting Documents Sent To Sheffield On: 4th May
Supporting Documents Posted Back by Sheffield On: Not yet
Supporting Documents Received Back From Sheffield On: Not yet
Sponsor Contacted by UKVI (if applicable): n/a

UKVI email for status update summary below:

30th May: Not yet assessed by ECO
1st June: Did not respond

Called UKVI for status update summary below:

30th June: Last stage, awaiting decision while, final checks are made
5th July: Awaiting decision. Refused to send my (sponsor) passport back

Applicant contacted by UKVI: 15th July (yes, a Saturday) Decision made. You will be contacted for collection witihn 10 days.

UKVI status check website update (I have been checking every day): 15th July Decided. Previously never recognised the GWF or IHS numbers. Did not work at 11:30 am this morning. However, at 12:30 pm, worked = Decided!! My wife had already sent me the email at this point. They must be working on Saturdays to clear the backlog.

Decision Made (As per UKVI status check website): 13th July
Decision Made (As per Covering Letter Issued By Home Office):
Contacted For Collection: Not yet
Collection Made: Not yet
Decision Of Application:

Glad to know they have made the decision, stress gone but replaced by anxious wait. Fingers crossed.

Cheers
Simon

KatieWills
Wales

Post by KatieWills » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Fingers crossed Mrs Simon will be with you soon :)
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:05 pm

KatieWills wrote:Fingers crossed Mrs Simon will be with you soon :)
Thank you very much Katie. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cheers
Simon

Andrew1972
Newly Registered

Post by Andrew1972 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:08 am

Good news, and almost exactly 60 days! Fingers crossed for you! :-)

Andrew

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Andrew1972 wrote:Good news, and almost exactly 60 days! Fingers crossed for you! :-)

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. I hope it's encouraging for you guys to see another Russian application decided even if we do not know the decision yet. I honestly can't think of any reason for it to be refused, but I'm not going to count the chickens just yet!

As you say, it's just short of 60 days so at least it provides another example that the processing times are still within that published estimate. Hopefully it means that you guys who are a few weeks behind me should get a decision very soon.

I honestly can't remember anybody previously reporting communication on a Saturday and there are two of us this weekend (maibm also). If they have started to work Saturdays, you may get a decision even quicker than we did.

Good luck
Simon

Andrew1972
Newly Registered

Post by Andrew1972 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Yes it's encouraging! We didn't pay priority, but I see that that in May they were still saying 95% of all applications were done with 60 working days.

I must admit I've always expected the first development would be getting the supporting documents back, as I've heard that reported several times before, but it seems maybe not!

Andrew

pixelrage09
India

Post by pixelrage09 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi Simon!

Congratulations on the decision! I know how stressful it was for you especially since you applied priority. I wish you and your spouse the best in all your future endeavors and I hope you will continue to contribute further on this forum for the rest of us unlucky souls.

Have an amazing weekend! :D

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:57 pm

pixelrage09 wrote:Hi Simon!

Congratulations on the decision! I know how stressful it was for you especially since you applied priority. I wish you and your spouse the best in all your future endeavors and I hope you will continue to contribute further on this forum for the rest of us unlucky souls.

Have an amazing weekend! :D
Hi Pixel,

many thanks, we're not over the line yet but I can't begin to describe the relief I felt yesterday at 12:30 pm, it was something else. I really hope and pray all of you guys/ladies and your loved ones who are still waiting, get to experience that feeling very soon.

Don't worry, this is not the end of me here. I fully intend to continue to try to help and offer advice to all of the people still waiting and planning their applications.

This forum is an excellent community and given that we did not use an agent or lawyer, I have found it invaluable and I am eternally grateful to everybody who contributed advice and support. If my wife and I are successful, the only way we can truly show our gratitude is in kind.

Cheers
Simon

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Much of the forum 'hive mind' is contributed by members who have travelled the same journey and stayed on to hold a supporting hand out to others.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ryanbcfc
Newly Registered

Post by Ryanbcfc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi Simon,

Congrats that you got a decision made on the spouse visa.

I to also got a decision made for my wife's visa 28th July. Running pretty close to 60 working days.

I was just wondering as its been around 10 working days has your wife picked up her passport and received her visa?

Regards
Ryan

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Ryan,

that's great news on your application, congratulations!!

Unfortunately, my wife has still not been contacted to collect her passport so we still do not know the decision. It is outrageous. 12 working days now since decision was made so well over the 10 working days that they're supposed to return the passport. I escalated last week by calling them at 10 days and they gave me an email address to write to for free but as yet no reply so they're also over the 2 days to respond to the escalation email. The lack of accountability and failure to treat people with dignity and respect is completely unacceptable.

I'm honestly in absolute disbelief at the sheer incompetence and callous way they treat people. Will be calling them again today to complain. Don't know what else to do now.

I see somebody else has also started a thread on here who is in the same position.

immigration-for-family-members/decision ... 36201.html

If the situation changes I'll update here.

Cheers
Simon

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Well, my journey is not quite over but finally I can share that my Wifes Application for Spouse Visa was GRANTED!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

It was granted on the 13th July, vignette issued 21st July to 20th August!!!

Thank you so much to everybody who suppported, advised and shared our journey. We are especially grateful because we did not use an agent or a lawyer and when we needed help it came from you guys.

I wish everybody who is still waiting the very best of luck and will be keeping my fingers crossed that you all get positive news soon.

Right, now the not so good news and everybody who has applied from Russia TAKE NOTE.................

My wife still does not have her passport back. She went to TLScontact today in St Petersburg Russia and demanded it back. They told her they did not have it.

I called my MP. My MP called Sheffield, they told my MP the Visa is granted that is how I know the decision and the dates of the vignette. They sent everything to Russia last month already and do not know why my wifes passport has not been returned. They are genuinely shocked and will follow up very strongly with the Consulate and TLScontact in Russia next week to find out what has gone wrong and get my wifes passport returned immediately. They are also willing to grant special dispensation if necessary due to the unusual circumstances.

PLEASE NOTE: My circumstances were regarded as exceptional because the decision was made and the Visa issued weeks ago and is already part expired. That is the only reason they shared the decision with the MP. Do not expect to be treated similarly unless you find yourself in this position.

Honestly, my life is turning into a soap opera. I'll update you on the next installment of the saga when you tune in next week lol

Cheers
Simon

SimonS

Post by SimonS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:38 pm

So, finally today, my wife got her passport back. Thanks only to the persistence of us and my MP. No need to ask who I'll be voting for in future.

Vignette - 21st July to 20th August??!!

Absolutely shocking, unbelieveable incompetence of the highest order :evil:

Fortunately though, thanks to my MP getting the decision out of them on Friday, my wife resigned on Monday. They made us wait so long for the decision her official annual leave begins next week, which in Russia counts towards her 2 week notice period. This is standard in Russia.

Bottom line, tickets bought yesterday and she arrives in the UK on Saturday :D :D :D

One week short of four calendar months apart, which considering we applied on priority, is disgraceful.

All applicants waiting after 10 days of "decided date" take note. Good luck.

Cheers
Simon

Andrew1972
Newly Registered

Post by Andrew1972 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:02 am

The online status for my wife's applications from Moscow changed to DECIDED on Friday!:-)) 59 working days since biometric submission.

Also the TLS tracker has updated this morning to say that its been dispatched by courier, so we hope to know the result very soon! Fingers crossed!

I still haven't had the documents returned to me in the UK yet. How long does that normally take after decision?

lesathomp9
Newly Registered

Post by lesathomp9 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi there, I wanted to address you specifically because I think your situation is very similar to mine. My kids and I applied for our UK settlement visas in April from Canada. Our online status has been "Decided" with a date of July 11 to date. We have not received our passports or our visas in all this time. I am now very concerned that the Vignettes are also expired like you talked about in the case of your wife. I have called and emailed the Visa contact service about 7 times since we noted that our decision was made hoping to get to the bottom of where are passports are and they keep saying they will get back to us but no one ever does. We have our MP in Aberdeen on the case now. I was just wondering if Home Office made a concession for your wife about her Vignette time, since it was their mistake that your wife did not receive her passport. Im really hoping that this is the case with us as well. Was your wife's passport just sitting in the VAC in Russia?

Also, what else did you have to do to get to the bottom of your case. Our MP wrote an email this morning, but we just don't seem to be getting anything back from Home Office.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Sooo Frustrating!!

Atikax
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Atikax » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Simon,

I have been reading about your journey on the forum and extend my congratulations. The application sounds like a headache but well worth the effort. I wanted to ask you if you could possibly send me a copy of the cover letter. I have a friend who lives in the UK and wishes to sponsor his wife to the UK. They are in the process of getting details together so any help would be appreciated. I tried to send you a PM but given that its my first post here, it has barred me from doing so. TIA. Can you send me a PM? thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Atikax wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:45 pm
Hi Simon,

I have been reading about your journey on the forum and extend my congratulations. The application sounds like a headache but well worth the effort. I wanted to ask you if you could possibly send me a copy of the cover letter. I have a friend who lives in the UK and wishes to sponsor his wife to the UK. They are in the process of getting details together so any help would be appreciated. I tried to send you a PM but given that its my first post here, it has barred me from doing so. TIA. Can you send me a PM? thank you.
You don't have access to the PM privilege as you are a newly registered member.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.