ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR Card validity time and Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

ArcherV
Newly Registered
Italy

PR Card validity time and Citizenship

Post by ArcherV » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:54 am

Hi all,

I didn't find any info about this in the forum neither on the government website.
I obtained and received my PR card in december last year (I'm an EEA citizen btw), and someone just told me that 12 months after receiving the card I can't apply for the British citizenship as "this means you couldn't care less".

Can someone confirm this, if it's something true or not?
In case it's true, do I need to reapply again as I don't think I will go for life in uk, english exam and naturalization from here to december?

Thank you so much in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: PR Card validity time

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am

and someone just told me that 12 months after receiving the card I can't apply for the British citizenship as "this means you couldn't care less".
Not clear from your post what it is you are actually asking or what you mean.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ArcherV
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by ArcherV » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:07 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am
and someone just told me that 12 months after receiving the card I can't apply for the British citizenship as "this means you couldn't care less".
Not clear from your post what it is you are actually asking or what you mean.
I'm asking if it's true that after 12 months from the PR card receiving date I can't apply for the British citizenship. For example I received the card 8 months ago and I have only 4 months to apply for the citizenship otherwise I can't anymore.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:13 am

Nonsense. You can apply for citizenship at ANY time after you have held PR (date you attain PR is different to the date of the PR card) as long as it is 12 months you have held PR status (unless you are married to a British citizen, then you don't have to wait).

There is NO time limit or restriction on when you can apply and the opportunity to apply does not suddenly disappear because you waited more than 12 months. If you only choose to apply in 2 years, then that is fine.

Suggest stop listening to 'someone'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ArcherV
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by ArcherV » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:13 am
Nonsense. You can apply for citizenship at ANY time after you have held PR (date you attain PR is different to the date of the PR card) as long as it is 12 months you have held PR status (unless you are married to a British citizen, then you don't have to wait).

There is NO time limit or restriction on when you can apply and the opportunity to apply does not suddenly disappear because you waited more than 12 months. If you only choose to apply in 2 years, then that is fine.

Suggest stop listening to 'someone'.
Unfortunately that someone just became british citizen and usually is a sure information point.

I may be a bit slow, but what they mean with "as long as it is 12 months"? Are the 12 months after the 5 years of residence?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: PR Card validity time and Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:24 am

Unfortunately that someone just became british citizen and usually is a sure information point.
Just because they have 'just become British' doesn't mean the know all the rules and are an expert. They are talking nonsense and trying to scare you.
I may be a bit slow, but what they mean with "as long as it is 12 months"? Are the 12 months after the 5 years of residence?
You basically require 5 years residence for citizenship which must include 12 months on PR status (date of PR and date on PR card are different). So your total time in reality before you can apply for citizenship is 6 years (unless married to a British citizen then the rules are slightly different).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ArcherV
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by ArcherV » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:26 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:24 am
Just because they have 'just become British' doesn't mean the know all the rules and are an expert?
You basically require 5 years residence for citizenship which must include 12 months on PR status (date of PR and date on PR card are different). So your total time in reality before you can apply for citizenship is 6 years (unless married to a British citizen then the rules are slightly different).
What I thought and knew!
Thank you for your help!

EEA National
Bulgaria

Post by EEA National » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:32 pm

ArcherV wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:54 am
Hi all,

I didn't find any info about this in the forum neither on the government website.
I obtained and received my PR card in december last year (I'm an EEA citizen btw), and someone just told me that 12 months after receiving the card I can't apply for the British citizenship as "this means you couldn't care less".

In case it's true, do I need to reapply again as I don't think I will go for life in uk, english exam and naturalization from here to december?

Thank you so much in advance.
Hello,

The date you recieved your PR card and the date you acquired your PR status are two different matters.
You need 12 months period after the date yu acquired your PR status. If you ca tell us when did you acquire PR status, we can tell when you can apply for BC or you should be able to check those dates yourself on your letter from HO regarding the PR application
In regards to your second question PR doesn't expire or get lost as long as you are not out of the country for more than 2 years

Regards

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:43 am

ArcherV wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:54 am

As others have said- the 12 months is a minimum requirement and you're free to apply later if you wish. IF you're still eligible.
Have you a British citizen spouse? If so, the 12 month requirement does not usually apply. If not- is your spouse also a Permanent Resident?

Keep in mind that starting March 29, 2019 and depending on negotiations with the EU and legislation in Parliament- your EEA Permanent Resident status may no longer exist and you may have to reapply either for a domestic law equivalent (settled status, etc.) or a new British PR Card. Are you planning to become a British citizen before then?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.