ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MJA411
Newly Registered

British Citizenship after ILR

Post by MJA411 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Hello everyone

I just got an approval for ILR through Tier 1 Entrepreneur 3+2 route (Approval 1/9/2017). I had 6 Dependants (My wife & 5 children) but now they've all got their ILR.

My questions:

1. When is the soonest I can apply for BC for myself and family?
2. 3 of my children are under 18 and hold ILR, do they need to meet the 12 months rule (They were born outside the UK)?
3. One of my children is turning 18 years old in 9 months from now, does he need to do Life in the UK test and English exam to fulfil his BC application ?
4. What form do I need to fill for each one of my family? (Myself and my wife, 2 Adults 21 years old, 3 children under 18)?
5. Do you suggest we apply together as a family or is it quicker individually ?

Thanks

secret.simon

Re: British Citizenship after ILR

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:49 pm

MJA411 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:32 pm
1. When is the soonest I can apply for BC for myself and family?
1 year from date of grant of ILR.
MJA411 wrote:
2. 3 of my children are under 18 and hold ILR, do they need to meet the 12 months rule (They were born outside the UK)?
No. But the expectation for children born outside the UK is that at least one parent is a British citizen or applying to become one and the other parent is on ILR. So they can apply for MN1 registration when you apply for British citizenship.
MJA411 wrote:
3. One of my children is turning 18 years old in 9 months from now, does he need to do Life in the UK test and English exam to fulfil his BC application ?
He does not need LITUK and English exam if he is registered as a minor. It may be worth applying for his registration a couple of months before his 18th birthday. The Home Office can exercise discretion in such a case (worth remembering that because they can exercise discretion does not mean that they will).
MJA411 wrote:
4. What form do I need to fill for each one of my family? (Myself and my wife, 2 Adults 21 years old, 3 children under 18)?
Form AN for the applicants who are adults on the date of the application, Form MN1 for those minors on the date of application. Your adult children will have to meet all the adult naturalisation requirements, just like your wife and you.
MJA411 wrote:
5. Do you suggest we apply together as a family or is it quicker individually ?
All naturalisation/registration applications are individual only. There is no family application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MJA411
Newly Registered

Post by MJA411 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm

No. But the expectation for children born outside the UK is that at least one parent is a British citizen or applying to become one and the other parent is on ILR. So they can apply for MN1 registration when you apply for British citizenship.
Can they apply for MN1 while me and my wife applying for BC ? Or they must wait until me or my wife get an approval first?

Thanks for answering all my questions secret.simon

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:26 pm

MJA411 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm
Can they apply for MN1 while me and my wife applying for BC ? Or they must wait until me or my wife get an approval first?
They can apply with your wife and you, but their approval will be subject to you or your wife succeeding and attending the citizenship ceremony. Their registration certificate will be handed to you alongside your naturalisation certificate.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MJA411
Newly Registered

Post by MJA411 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:26 pm
MJA411 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm
They can apply with your wife and you, but their approval will be subject to you or your wife succeeding and attending the citizenship ceremony. Their registration certificate will be handed to you alongside your naturalisation certificate.
Thank you very much for making that clear.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 pm

It must have cost you fortune so far. You now have 12 more months before forking out huge chunk of your money for one last time. :roll:

MJA411
Newly Registered

Post by MJA411 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:58 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:12 pm
It must have cost you fortune so far. You now have 12 more months before forking out huge chunk of your money for one last time. :roll:
True. But it'll all pay off in the near future :)

Is there any residence requirements for under 18 applying for MN1 ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:39 am

No there is not but older children in their teenage years require at least 2 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.