ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need residence card? I have Indefinite Leave to Remain.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

7nana7
Newly Registered
Japan

Do I need residence card? I have Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Post by 7nana7 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi,
Could anyone help me if i need a residency card to even I already have Indefinite Leave to Remain on my OLD passport? I have Japanese passport only.

I have no problem travelling in and out of UK so far, showing my old passport and the visa sticker of Indefinite Leave to Remain at the immigration.

However I heard it restricts from getting a job.
Is it illegal to hire someone without this card?

Thanks in advance!!

vinny

Re: Do I need residence card? I have Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:50 pm

New Employers and Landlords, etc., expect valid and current documents from non-EEA people, in the current hostile environment.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

7nana7
Newly Registered
Japan

Post by 7nana7 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 am

Thank you vinny. :D

So what i need is called BRP?
I still feel my visa sticker is valid... it's still OK for coming in and out of the UK, but not for a new job?! So confusing!

and is it illegal for the new employer to hire me if I don't have this at the point of employment?

Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Yes. Apply for NTL prior to getting new job.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 pm

7nana7 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 am
and is it illegal for the new employer to hire me if I don't have this at the point of employment?
No, but if you turned out not to be allowed to work, he could be fined very heavily, and if he's sponsoring workers he could lose his licence to sponsor. His not checking would be regarded as reckless behaviour.

(I'm correcting this now because Vinny just referenced this thread.)