ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

abn
Newly Registered
Ireland

Question about naturalisation

Post by abn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 am

i was granted eufam 2 years ago and have five years stamp my wife recently obtained an irish passport
my question is can i apply for naturalisation based on espouse of Irish citizen.

thanks guys

gorgeous
Ireland

Re: Question about naturalisation

Post by gorgeous » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Yes, you can indeed! But you need to wait 3 years, which means that there is still one year left for you. :)

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:08 pm

I think the three year period will start to count from the date the EU Citz became irish Citiz.
senior members should correct me if im wrong.

gorgeous
Ireland

Post by gorgeous » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am

Mal111 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:08 pm
I think the three year period will start to count from the date the EU Citz became irish Citiz.
Not really, she's still the same person but with an Irish passport now. He doesn't need to wait more 3 years. As long as she is an Irish citizen, the 3 years rule will apply to him. And as long as he is legally working and living in the country, it doesn't make sense to wait an extra three years.

gorgeous
Ireland

Post by gorgeous » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am

Mal111 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:08 pm
I have contacted the New Communities office (the ones who look after citizenship to make sure everything's correct) and they told me:

"If your partner applies and becomes an Irish, you just need 3 years not 5 years." - So, I presume that the years before count as we have been living and working here legally and not on a student visa.

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am

[*]Eligibility

You must:
•Have been married to, or in a civil partnership with, an Irish citizen for 3 years
•Have been (and are now) living together in an ongoing marriage/civil partnership of not less than 3 years
•Be of full age (18 or over) when you apply

it doesn't say you can apply for citizenship after 3 years if your married to an irish citz. it say you have been married to an irish citizen for 3 years

the gentleman in question was married to an eu citz for 2 year who became an irish citz recently.
the person is same but the legal entitlement is changed.

but again easiest way to fint out is to send citizenship office an email.

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 am

off course you do need to wait three years not 5 but did you confirm with them when the three year period start counting from the date you became their spouse or from the date your spouse become irish citz?

water_tank1
Ireland

Post by water_tank1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:43 pm

I'd also be interested to know if the three years starts from Date of marriage or From when became Irish citizen .....

water_tank1
Ireland

Post by water_tank1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Found the answer out by researching ......

There's two important points to consider when looking to apply for Naturalization when married to an Irish Citizen ....

1) Have been married to, or in a civil partnership with, an Irish citizen for 3 years.

2) Have resided on the island of Ireland for at least 3 years out of the last 5 years, including 1 year of continuous residence immediately before the date you apply.

So basically have to be married 3 years and reside in Ireland for 3 years.

abn
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by abn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:14 pm

thanks everyone
I contacted the citizenship office and was informed i can apply next year that is when am three years in the country