ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Application refused - appeal

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

middletier 1

British Citizenship Application refused - appeal

Post by middletier 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:19 am

Hi,

My British citizenship application was refused last month and the reason was not meeting the good character requirement.

actually I was involved in a domestic abuse case in May'17 after I was applied for BC in Mar'17 and I have immediately informed the home office as change in circumstances in May'17 itself, however in the rejection letter they mentioned that I didnt inform them.

So I am thinking to reconsider but would like to take advise is it really worth to pay fee and apply for reconsideration. I have been fined by court on july'17 and never had any criminal issues prior to this case. Please note that my family got BC approved.

Is there limited time to apply for reconsideration and any idea how long it could take?

Looking forward to hear the forum valuable suggestions

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship Application refused - appeal

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 am

How did you inform HO?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

EEA National
Bulgaria

Post by EEA National » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 am

middletier 1 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:19 am
Hi,

My British citizenship application was refused last month and the reason was not meeting the good character requirement.

actually I was involved in a domestic abuse case in May'17 after I was applied for BC in Mar'17 and I have immediately informed the home office as change in circumstances in May'17 itself, however in the rejection letter they mentioned that I didnt inform them.

So I am thinking to reconsider but would like to take advise is it really worth to pay fee and apply for reconsideration. I have been fined by court on july'17 and never had any criminal issues prior to this case. Please note that my family got BC approved.

Is there limited time to apply for reconsideration and any idea how long it could take?

Looking forward to hear the forum valuable suggestions

Thanks
Hello,
Sorry to hear that you have been refused
There isn't a limit time to when you can apply for reconsideration, but also there are not set limits to the time it can take to be considered. It could be one month or one year.
Did you spoke with HO about reconsideration, I have heard that their advice service can help. Maybe speak with immigration lawyers. I phoned few lawyers before and they offered free advices
Good luck

middletier 1

Post by middletier 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:01 am

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

CR001;

I have informed to nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk based on the below guidelines

"5. After you’ve applied (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... ve-applied)

You’ll get a letter confirming your application. It can take up to 4 weeks for you to get the confirmation.

A decision about your application will usually be made within 6 months - some applications can take longer.

You’ll be told if you need to give more information to help with your application. You should also contact UK Visas and Immigration if your situation changes (eg, you move house, get married or are arrested) during your application.

Nationality contact centre
nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

EEE National:
I haven't called them yet but I will take if any advise

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:23 pm

You should have written a letter and sent it to HO with your reference number or called them.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

middletier 1

Post by middletier 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Yes, I wrote a letter and mentioned by case reference and as per the guidelines I have sent that letter to the email address given in the website. Thus I have done this way, do you think I have any chance on this basis

middletier 1

Post by middletier 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi All,

can I please ask the forum members and seniors to throw some light on my issue whether I have a chance as I have informed them immediately and also as per the good-character-annex-d-v2_0 page # 6 states that last 3 years convictions starts from date of application which was march'17 and I was involved in May'17. Moreover I have informed homeoffice as well about this change in circumstances.

Please advise and I really appreciate all your efforts

EEA National
Bulgaria

Post by EEA National » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:29 pm

middletier 1 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:13 pm
Hi All,

can I please ask the forum members and seniors to throw some light on my issue whether I have a chance as I have informed them immediately and also as per the good-character-annex-d-v2_0 page # 6 states that last 3 years convictions starts from date of application which was march'17 and I was involved in May'17. Moreover I have informed homeoffice as well about this change in circumstances.

Please advise and I really appreciate all your efforts
Hello
My humble opinion is that if they have solely refused the application on the basis that you have failed to inform them of change of circumstances, then you can submit reconsideration application stating politely that you have indeed done so and they just missed it, here you should add any evidence that you may have of that, tracking number, receipt, anything. You wont believe how often that happens it is not the end of the world. It will just take longer for the reconsideration, but be patient. You can also state the "last 3 year rule", layout your case in the best possible light and chances are that you will be successful

Good luck

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Can you post the exact wording of the refusal letter, taking out any personal details?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

middletier 1

Post by middletier 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:13 pm

please see below;
Attachments
BC-refusal-3.jpg
bc refusal
BC-refusal-3.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 2226 times

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm

It is very difficult to read as enlarging it distorts the text.

Did you inform HO after the incident or after you were convicted or completed the process in court?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

middletier 1

Post by middletier 1 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:03 am

I have informed the HO immediately after the incident happened on May'17 and in the refusal letter they mentioned the date of appear in the court i.e Jun'17. So its very clear that I have informed them way advance and didnt wait till the process finish, to be honest in May'17 actually the process started only and ended in July'17.
I have the email evidence with date in May'17 as proof that I have informed HO about the change in the circumstances

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am

You should probably have informed them once the court outcome was completed and this is probably what they might be referring to.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Being accused of something is not a material change in circumstances, being convicted of something is and it appears you did not inform them of the conviction.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

middletier 1

Post by middletier 1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:30 am

HI,

many thanks for your replies.

please note the refusal letter mentioned as;

"it is open to you to reapply for citizenship at any time but our failure to disclose a conviction to us will be taken into consideration on any fresh application made within ten years of this date of this letter and is likely to lead to the application being refused".

I am worried that I can't apply in the next ten years as per the above information mentioned in my refusal letter. Actually I have informed them with my case ref and court dates everything in the email, but now I realised that id dint inform them after case ended. I asked my solicitor they told since you have given the case ref. no they will get all the information from concern departments, thus I didnt inform them. Therefore I wan to apply for reconsideration.

Also I am thinking whether I can extend the ceremony for my family or ask home home to extend further is possible as I am thinking we all take citizenship at one time rather my family take first.

please advise me

Thanks