ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving UK taxes

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ashztomz
Newly Registered
India

Leaving UK taxes

Post by ashztomz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 am

Hi,

I've been working in UK since 2011 and i may need to move back to my home country next year.

I came to know i can claim all back taxes i paid. Can you let me know how do i do it and if at all i can claim back all my taxes from 2011 onwards?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Leaving UK taxes

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:53 am

Unlikely you will get ALL your tax back from 2011.

Mostly likelyl only for the current tax year.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:11 pm

To the best of my knowledge, you can't reclaim either your Income Tax or your National Insurance contributions from preceding years. You can fill in Form P85 for HMRC to adjust the tax for the year that you are leaving.

However, it seems that you may be eligible for a share (no of years of contribution/35) of the State Pension even if you were to move abroad, though your State Pension will likely not be increased in line with UK inflation, as it would if you were to reside in the UK or certain other countries.

More info:
State Pension if you retire abroad
Get State Pension Statement
Which.co.uk : State pension
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 am

ashztomz wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 am
Hi,

I've been working in UK since 2011 and i may need to move back to my home country next year.

I came to know i can claim all back taxes i paid. Can you let me know how do i do it and if at all i can claim back all my taxes from 2011 onwards?
You can't. No chance. Bit of a daft question.

I'd leave it, or engage a tax advisor to sort out the issues of habitual residence, dual taxation, tax residence and split-year treatment and maybe save a little but the cost of the advisor would probably be more than the savings...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:51 am

Wanderer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 am
ashztomz wrote:
Hi,

I'd leave it, or engage a tax advisor to sort out the issues of habitual residence, dual taxation, tax residence and split-year treatment and maybe save a little but the cost of the advisor would probably be more than the savings...
@Wanderer - OP also asking about applying for ILR!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:51 am
Wanderer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 am
ashztomz wrote:
Hi,

@Wanderer - OP also asking about applying for ILR!!
Wish I could have my taxes back I paid in Denmark, I'd be a rich man.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 am

Wanderer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 am
Wish I could have my taxes back I paid in Denmark, I'd be a rich man.....
You certainly would be :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)