ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Enquiry

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Chelsuz85
Mood:

British Citizenship Enquiry

Post by Chelsuz85 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:14 pm

So, today 06/07/2017; I received my PR from the home office. The letter said I attained PR on the 3rd of March 2016. I believe this means that I am entitled to BC from now. However; I have some questions as to how this will affect my children.

Their information is below

My kids are all German nationals
First A - born in Germany in 2006 and moved to Uk with me in 2010 - German pass + Registration cert
Second B - born in Germany in 2008 and moved to Uk with me in 2010 - German pass + Registration cert
Third C - born in Germany in 2009 and moved to UK with me in 2010 - German pass + Registration cert
Fourth D - born in London in 2011 but hold German passport.

They have been in Education since moving to the UK since 2010 till date. What do I have to do to ensure that my application do not affect them or their entitlements?

Carling40, here it is.

thsths

Re: British Citizenship Enquiry

Post by thsths » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 pm

In theory, their status is protected in any case, although with the current trends in the home office I would not rely on that.

However, since they have all lived in the UK for 5 years, they have acquired PR by now, and therefore have their own status. It may be worth applying for PR for the whole family before applying for naturalisation.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Thank you for the response thsths.

It would be DCPR for them I suppose.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:15 pm

Child born in the UK is entitled to register directly.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:19 am

vinny wrote:Child born in the UK is entitled to register directly.
Thank you Vinny. But I do not want to change the nationalities of my children. However, quick one; Would it be that they are entitled to dual nationality?

What I would really like to find out is would there be any issues if I am to go for BC? Would it have any effect on my children?

thsths

Post by thsths » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 am

They do not have to give up German citizenship - a second European citizenship is accepted. Of course both nationalisation and registration are pretty expensive, but it may be worthwhile. Theresa May's current plains for ILR for EU citizens may be even more expensive (the usual fee for ILR is over 2000 pounds).

Carling40
Australia

Post by Carling40 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi
Since the children have already acquired PR in their own right you can apply for BC without any implications for them. I'd recommend you (Non EEA)apply for BC if you meet the criteria, I don't trust this strong and stable government to treat eu citizens fairly as you can see from their offer.
Onto the kids...
Germans can be dual nationals i.e. German and British, so the kids don't have to give up their german citizenship.
Get confirmation of DCPR for child A,B and C now it's at a reasonable £65 and register child D as British.
I hope you meet the criteria and have a money tree.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Carling40 wrote:Hi
Since the children have already acquired PR in their own right you can apply for BC without any implications for them. I'd recommend you (Non EEA)apply for BC if you meet the criteria, I don't trust this strong and stable government to treat eu citizens fairly as you can see from their offer.
Onto the kids...
Germans can be dual nationals i.e. German and British, so the kids don't have to give up their german citizenship.
Get confirmation of DCPR for child A,B and C now it's at a reasonable £65 and register child D as British.
I hope you meet the criteria and have a money tree.
Unfortunately, I do not have a money tree. :) I wish I did.

I still will like to know who would be the main applicant so as to get it right. I should have added them to my application but I did not think of that I guess. Can one of the kids be the main applicant?

thsths

Post by thsths » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:19 pm

These are all separate applications, AN1 for you, and I think EEA3 (EEA PR?) for the kids. It is actually 85 pounds, because of biometrics, but probably still worth it.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:39 pm

thsths wrote:These are all separate applications, AN1 for you, and I think EEA3 (EEA PR?) for the kids. It is actually 85 pounds, because of biometrics, but probably still worth it.
The kids already have PR I believe, What I am looking for is DCPR isn't it?

The last one was born in the UK and she never had Registration certificate.

thsths , thank you. However being they are kids, someone have the be the main applicant, in this case; how do I go about it? There have to be an applicant and then family members will be added on? I am confused.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:30 am

Background to the case and possibly explanation for why children were not included on the application:
eea-route-applications/pr-refused-pleas ... 28191.html

Time-clock note- you have until 28.03.2019 to get British citizenship for yourself and your children (full process- including citizenship ceremony) if you do not want to risk losing your German citizenship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law

Cost of PR/citizenship- it will be what it will be. Whatever the cost works out as- it's likely a lot less than it will be if you decide to take no action and then are forced to make the applications later on. Or find yourselves ineligible.

U.K. born child- Simplest of all. Forget DCPR- child doesn't need it. Submit form MN1 to get child registered as British.

Remaining children- If they have to apply for DCPR, then they need to be the applicants. It's not clear whether they need DCPR to be registered as British (if you naturalise) but it would be advisable if possible. It could lose a lot of time/money if their citizenship applications were refused for this reason.

If you want the whole family to be British- multiple applications are likely required- and there's no time to wait.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm

So today 20/09/2017, I have used Lancashire NCS service to apply for BC and Passport together for myself only. Fingers crossed everything comes out OK.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Chelsuz85 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm
So today 20/09/2017, I have used Lancashire NCS service to apply for BC and Passport together for myself only.
Out of interest- is there a plan for your children to get British citizenship too?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:40 am

When I can afford that - Yes.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:42 am

JAJ wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 pm
Chelsuz85 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:29 pm
So today 20/09/2017, I have used Lancashire NCS service to apply for BC and Passport together for myself only.
Out of interest- is there a plan for your children to get British citizenship too?

When I can afford that - Yes. For now; I am unable to do such for 4 children.

Carling40
Australia

Post by Carling40 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Chelsuz85

Thanks for coming back with an update, good luck with your application for BC. Its good to know you have a plan for the children to get BC too. All the best

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:41 am

Carling40 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:15 am
Hi Chelsuz85

Thanks for coming back with an update, good luck with your application for BC. Its good to know you have a plan for the children to get BC too. All the best
Good hearing from you Carling40. Fingers crossed everything turns out well. I leanrt its average of 2.5 - 3 months for the BC. Hoping for the best!

Carling40
Australia

Post by Carling40 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:11 pm

I'm not going to say try and forget about it, because its simply impossible to do so, when you think about the magnitude and importance attached to BC in this current hostile climate.
I've seen straight forward applications take upwards of 8-9months and even longer and others arrive within 3 months. Overall i'd strongly advise against looking at timescales, as long as yours arrives with a positive outcome. Unfortunately any dealings with this particular government department is as uncertain, unreliable and unpredictable as Manchester's weather.
Once you've had your acknowledgement and done your biometrics all you can do is wait and hope your application isn't processed by a new undertrained cretin.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Carling40 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:11 pm
I'm not going to say try and forget about it, because its simply impossible to do so, when you think about the magnitude and importance attached to BC in this current hostile climate.
I've seen straight forward applications take upwards of 8-9months and even longer and others arrive within 3 months. Overall i'd strongly advise against looking at timescales, as long as yours arrives with a positive outcome. Unfortunately any dealings with this particular government department is as uncertain, unreliable and unpredictable as Manchester's weather.
Once you've had your acknowledgement and done your biometrics all you can do is wait and hope your application isn't processed by a new undertrained cretin.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks always for the advise. I am not putting my mind to it.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Eligibility criteria: Non EEA Pr acquired Mar 2016 though issued in July 2017
Language criteria met: Trinity college + LIUK
Nationality: Non EEA
Method of application: NCS + JCAP
Date of application: 20/09/2017
Payment method: Debit Card
Date of receipt by HO/UKVI: 21/09/2017
Date of acknowledgement: NIL
Date money gone off account: 26/09/2017
Date of letter requesting biometrics: NIL
Biometrics done: NIL
Date of approval: NIL
Date of ceremony: NIL
Date applied for passports: 20/09/2017
Date passports received: NIL

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Chelsuz85 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 pm
Date of acknowledgement: 27/09/2017
Date of letter requesting biometrics: NIL
Biometrics done: NIL

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Chelsuz85 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:09 pm
Chelsuz85 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 pm
Date of acknowledgement: 27/09/2017
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 29/09/2017
Biometrics done: 30/09/2017

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Kindly post your timeline updates in the September Timeline thread.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Chelsuz85
Mood:

Post by Chelsuz85 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 am

Hello,

So I was wondering - I received my replacement PR card (due to the error by the HO) a couple of weeks back and it now have a different BRP/ID number than the previous one. Now the issue is this; I used the details of the previous one during my naturalisation submission. Do I have to update the HO to let them know about the change in ID/BRP numbers?

dhyperion
Mood:

Post by dhyperion » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 am

thsths wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 am
They do not have to give up German citizenship - a second European citizenship is accepted. Of course both nationalisation and registration are pretty expensive, but it may be worthwhile. Theresa May's current plains for ILR for EU citizens may be even more expensive (the usual fee for ILR is over 2000 pounds).
That second citizenship I believe has to be an EU one (or possibly EEA). Seeing as the UK is leaving this may or may be a problem in the future.

The rules for Germany regarding Dual nationality (unless changed recently):

Dual citizenship

Allowed under following circumstances:

1. If the other citizenship is that of another EU country or of Switzerland. Non-EU- and non-Swiss citizens must usually renounce their old citizenship if they want to become German citizens. There are exceptions made for citizens of countries that do not allow their citizens to renounce their citizenship (e.g., Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica. P.S.: In case of Brazil it is possible to renounce your citizenship through a requirement made in the Brazilian consulate if you already have acquired another citizenship voluntarily, but it is not required to do so; the following jus-soli countries allow renunciation only if the citizenship was acquired involuntarily by birth there to non-citizen parents: Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Uruguay), or if the renunciation process is too difficult, humiliating or expensive (e.g., Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Cuba, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Morocco, Nigeria, Syria, Thailand, Tunisia, USA), or, rarely, in individual cases if the renunciation of the old citizenship means enormous disadvantages for the concerned person.

2. If a German citizen acquires a non-EU or non-Swiss citizenship with the permission ("Beibehaltungsgenehmigung") of the German Government (e.g., existing relative ties or property in Germany or in the other country or if the occupation abroad requires domestic citizenship for execution). The voluntary acquisition of a non-EU or non-Swiss citizenship without permission usually means the automatic loss of the German citizenship (but see Point 4). The permission is not necessary if the other citizenship is of another EU country or of Switzerland or if dual citizenship was obtained at birth.

3. If the person is a refugee and holds a 1951 travel document during naturalization.

4. If a child born to German parents acquires another citizenship at birth (e.g., based on place of birth [birth in jus-soli countries mostly of the Americas], or descent from one parent [one German parent and one foreign parent]).

5.Children born on or after 1 January 2000 to non-German parents acquire German citizenship at birth if at least one parent has a permanent residence permit (and had this status for at least three years) and the parent was residing in Germany for at least eight years. The children must have lived in Germany for at least eight years or attended school for six years until their 21st birthday. Non-EU- and non-Swiss-citizen parents born and grown up abroad usually cannot have dual citizenship themselves (but see Point 1).