ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP for EEA citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Roaring Cat
Newly Registered
Poland

EEA citizen route to UK Citizenship

Post by Roaring Cat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi,
Looking at British citizenship application and knowing some EU friends who applied in the past (and got UK citizenship based on 6 years total residence):

Got WRS (Workers Registration certificate for EU8) in 2005, and have been a resident since then: is it still the case application could be submitted with last 6 years being supported? Is there any new regulation regarding EU nationals and the 5 or 6 years period? Would WRS still be a proof of residence and hence, applicable for the 6 years rule for EU citizens?

Much appreciated, as the application (and guides...) are really confusing...

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EEA citizen route to UK Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Have you obtained a PR card, or document certifying PR?
It's five years exercising treaty rights and one year holding PR so if you have been employed for most of that time then you will have covered the six years. But you must have the PR document - not familiar with the WRS. Has it been stamped in some way saying indefinite leave to remain or permanent residency?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

EEA National
Bulgaria

Post by EEA National » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:21 am

Roaring Cat wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:50 pm
Hi,
Looking at British citizenship application and knowing some EU friends who applied in the past (and got UK citizenship based on 6 years total residence):

Got WRS (Workers Registration certificate for EU8) in 2005, and have been a resident since then: is it still the case application could be submitted with last 6 years being supported? Is there any new regulation regarding EU nationals and the 5 or 6 years period? Would WRS still be a proof of residence and hence, applicable for the 6 years rule for EU citizens?

Much appreciated, as the application (and guides...) are really confusing...
If you have been resident since 2005, then you have more than 6 years residency.
And yes the WRS is acceptable as proof of lawful residence
Do you have PR already?

Roaring Cat
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Roaring Cat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you for your replies:

No, I do not have a PR document. I can recall having at 3 of my friends applying with WRS as a proof of PR with NO PR document in 2015. Are you aware of any changes to that or else, would the WRS be considered a PR as it seems to be alluded to in the application form (even if not very clearly...)?

zapzap

Post by zapzap » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:16 pm

you will need to apply for the DCPR first and then apply to citizenship immediately (provided that you have held PR status for more than a year)

zapzap

Post by zapzap » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm

since November 2015 you must apply for the permanent residence before you can proceed onto a British passport application... your friends must have applied before that date

Roaring Cat
Newly Registered
Poland

BRP for EEA citizenship application

Post by Roaring Cat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi all,

An EU citizen applying for UK citizenship, I understand the HO will be sending out a barcoded letter for me to go through the BRP process:

1. How long after submitting the citizenship application should I be expecting the letter?

2. Once I got the letter, how much time do have to do the BRP?

I was thinking of travelling for a short period yet want to make sure not missing this requirement...

Thank you for any info.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BRP for EEA citizenship application

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:03 pm

1. Usually a couple of weeks.

2. 15 days.

Do you hold a document certifying PR?

Edit: It appears you do not have a PR card yet. Suggest focus on that first before you focus on the citizenship application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Roaring Cat
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Roaring Cat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Thank so much for the help!

I have applied for the EEA PR, correct me if I m wrong, it should be sent to me within 4-6 weeks? Will be applying for citizenship immediately upon getting the PR...

Is it true I can keep my EU passport during citizenship application if doing it via the council checking service?

So, within roughly a month of applying for citizenship the whole process is done (at my end...)?

Much appreciating your help through this intricate process...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:03 pm

I have applied for the EEA PR, correct me if I m wrong, it should be sent to me within 4-6 weeks? Will be applying for citizenship immediately upon getting the PR...
Usually 4 to 6 months. You should get a letter with your PR card stating the date you automatically attained PR, this date must be 12 months before you apply for citizenship.
Is it true I can keep my EU passport during citizenship application if doing it via the council checking service?
Yes
So, within roughly a month of applying for citizenship the whole process is done (at my end...)?
If you mean biometrics enrollment etc, then yes, unless HO writes to you and asks for more documents. Whole process can take up to 6 months and sometimes longer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.