ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sheffield Visa Section - EEA FAMILY PERMIT

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

yanaveron
Ukraine

Re: Sheffield Visa Section - EEA FAMILY PERMIT

Post by yanaveron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Attykitty wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:33 pm
Hi guys,

I applied on the 1st of August and still waiting. I got the "not straightforward email" on 17th of August.

Today I got news from a friend on a fb group that she went to VFS to collect her passport and it's a yes. Good for her but I'm wondering how Sheffield works now. She applied on 6th of September, received "not straightforward email" on 22nd and got her EEA FP today - 29th of September.
I have another friend who applied on 19th of June and hasn't got anything yet.

What's going on here? Anybody knows why it works like that? Please tell me. I'm so confused and frustrated.
Hi,
Could you tell us, please, where did your friend apply from?
Thanks

baig5035
BANNED
Pakistan

Post by baig5035 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Waiting more than 120 working days tried everything nothings help only left hope. Pray for all pray for me. Don't loss hope. Thanks.

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Post by dan1988uk » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 pm

They are short staff (they open 25 positions at the Sheffield Visa Section) so I think that after 15 days they are automatically sending the "non straightforward" email to get more time for the applications.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:25 pm

yanaveron wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:04 pm
Could anybody please explain to me, if it is so "easy" to enter to UK by getting that stamp ( doesn't matter how it is called), why do so many people spend 100 days of waiting for Family Permit?
There are several good reasons in normal times when there is a prompt turn-around. Indeed, the US seems to be delivering a very prompt return of under a week. So reasons I can think of, when service is as one might reasonably hope for:

1) Moving the risk of refusal to before the purchase of a ticket. I suspect, though, that applying for a FP may increase the risk of a refusal.

2) Probably more chance of being allowed to take employment immediately on a family permit than on a wet ink stamp.

3) For visa nationals, flying to the UK is better than getting a Schengen visa and then flying to France and completing the journey on or under the surface.

yanaveron
Ukraine

Post by yanaveron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Richard W wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:25 pm
yanaveron wrote:
Could anybody please explain to me, if it is so "easy" to enter to UK by getting that stamp ( doesn't matter how it is called), why do so many people spend 100 days of waiting for Family Permit?
There are several good reasons in normal times when there is a prompt turn-around. Indeed, the US seems to be delivering a very prompt return of under a week. So reasons I can think of, when service is as one might reasonably hope for:

1) Moving the risk of refusal to before the purchase of a ticket. I suspect, though, that applying for a FP may increase the risk of a refusal.

2) Probably more chance of being allowed to take employment immediately on a family permit than on a wet ink stamp.

3) For visa nationals, flying to the UK is better than getting a Schengen visa and then flying to France and completing the journey on or under the surface.
Hi,
Well, I think many people who have been waiting for their FP for such a long time would prefer to apply first for a schengen Visa ( although not every nation needs to get a visa before going to Europe) and fly to France, have maybe difficulties to be employed for some time.... but to be with their families.
Me personally, if i had known about the possibility to enter to UK without applying for FP before, I would have gone for it without even thinking... But according to UK law, is it really possible to do? Because for me seems strange that at one airport or any UK border point you can enter at enother they don't permit you.... how is it possible?! Law is for whole borders, isn't?

baig5035
BANNED
Pakistan

Post by baig5035 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Yes they have shortage of staff but taking 6 months even more in some cases is insane. It's open violation.

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Post by dan1988uk » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:18 pm

yanaveron wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:52 pm
Richard W wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:25 pm
yanaveron wrote:

Hi,
Well, I think many people who have been waiting for their FP for such a long time would prefer to apply first for a schengen Visa ( although not every nation needs to get a visa before going to Europe) and fly to France, have maybe difficulties to be employed for some time.... but to be with their families.
Me personally, if i had known about the possibility to enter to UK without applying for FP before, I would have gone for it without even thinking... But according to UK law, is it really possible to do? Because for me seems strange that at one airport or any UK border point you can enter at enother they don't permit you.... how is it possible?! Law is for whole borders, isn't?
As I said in another post: law is one thing, the kind of the border officer is another.

Enka2018
Slovakia

Post by Enka2018 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:22 pm

They will let you enter only if you have residence card from any EU country. They will give you entry visa for 3 months. Then you can apply for EEA2.

njoseph

Post by njoseph » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:30 pm

I do not understand the border thing. I could have move my family(all Irish except non-EEA father) to Northern Ireland (no border checks) and then to England without going though any checks. However, it would have been illegal and caused issues when applying for residence card.

Enka2018
Slovakia

Post by Enka2018 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 pm

You need to go through check, if family member posess residence card from any EU country you can get stamp straightly on border

yanaveron
Ukraine

Post by yanaveron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Enka2018 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:22 pm
They will let you enter only if you have residence card from any EU country. They will give you entry visa for 3 months. Then you can apply for EEA2.
Hi,
Is this official information?
Thanks

Enka2018
Slovakia

Post by Enka2018 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:54 pm

yes, but from European Union country, and on border you need to go along with your sponsoring family member and show the proof that you are their family member like marriage or birth certificate etc..
you need to insist on them that you have this right
Unfortunatelly, we do not have this residency otherwise we would have done this already.

yanaveron
Ukraine

Post by yanaveron » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Enka2018 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:54 pm
yes, but from European Union country, and on border you need to go along with your sponsoring family member and show the proof that you are their family member like marriage or birth certificate etc..
Unfortunatelly, we do not have this residency otherwise we would have done this already.
Thank you for information. Unfortunately I didn't know this at that time when i was applying for FP, so now im just waiting for it like many others.
Thanks again
Regards

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:52 am

Enka2018 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:22 pm
That is almost completely incorrect.

Family members with passports and adequate evidence of status have to be allowed in with or to join their sponsor if he has a right to reside, unless there are 'public policy etc.' reasons to exclude them. The 'residence card of a family member of an EEA national' is normally adequate evidence. If a suitable residence card is held, regulations and directive prohibit the stamping of a passport - that includes the granting of a 'visa'. The rules are sufficiently complex that Immigration Officers make mistakes and sometimes stamp passports when they shouldn't.

Those without a residence card get a stamp in their passport. For those without a family permit, it used to be a Code 1A stamp, then it changed to an 'EEA Regulations' stamp, which mentions the 2006 regulation. This stamp is still being used (recent detailed report by a.s.b.o.), despite the 2006 regulations having been replaced by the 2016 regulations. The EEA Regulations stamp granted admission for 6 months, rather than the 3 months which is the time allowed by the EEA regulations. There is now a new stamp, which does not mention any apparent time limit. It is not available everywhere it might be used.

Finally, once in the UK, the non-EEA family member may apply for a residence card using form EEA2, as stated. Here the rules change. The sponsor then has to be a permanent resident or 'qualified person'.

There are further rules for those with other rights to reside.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:30 am

yanaveron wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:52 pm
EU directives apply to governments, not airlines (or employers). So far as I am aware, it is still the airline that decides to refuse boarding for lack of a family permit, not the UK government. I am surprised that no-one has been able to argue that the threat of fines makes the airline an agent of the UK government.

hachel

Post by hachel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:59 am

Seriously ? Can you believe those new" timelines ? eea-route-applications/eea-fp-approved- ... 40306.html

Do you think are now processing it locally to offload the work of Sheffield ?

Willyboy
Newly Registered

Post by Willyboy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 am

hachel wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:59 am
Seriously ? Can you believe those new" timelines ? eea-route-applications/eea-fp-approved- ... 40306.html

That is quite unbelievable. While I'm happy for them, the whole thing is making me even more angry. Actually I've just asked those two guys (both of whom applied from the US) to let us know whether they heard from Sheffield directly or from some other processing centre, as you hinted.

yanaveron
Ukraine

Post by yanaveron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am

Willyboy wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 am
hachel wrote:

That is quite unbelievable. While I'm happy for them, the whole thing is making me even more angry. Actually I've just asked those two guys (both of whom applied from the US) to let us know whether they heard from Sheffield directly or from some other processing centre, as you hinted.
Let us know their answers...
Thanks

Merzit
Mood:
Albania

Post by Merzit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 am

Enka2018 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:54 pm

Hello

My husband has residence for 5 years here in Spain by being married with me. Still not can go to England with me on airplane because they won't leave enter or if you enter, not more than 3 months. That is why you need a Visa also with the residence European.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:14 am

Merzit wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 am
My husband has residence for 5 years here in Spain by being married with me. Still not can go to England with me on airplane because they won't leave enter or if you enter, not more than 3 months. That is why you need a Visa also with the residence European.
You need a residence card issued under Article 10 of Directive 2004/38/EC That should be marked as a "residence card of the family member of an EEA National" or equivalent. There are UKVI pages that state that residence cards issued under Article 20 are also acceptable, but I'm not sure whether they work with airlines. As you are Spanish, I doubt that your husband's residence card has even been issued under Article 20, let alone Article 10.

Willyboy
Newly Registered

Post by Willyboy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:08 am

yanaveron wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am
Willyboy wrote:
hachel wrote:

Thanks
Yup, one of the guys just said he thinks everything was processed locally (i.e. not Sheffield but rather in the US). Good news for them, not so much for us :-(

Here's the link if you'd like to take a look...
eea-route-applications/eea-fp-approved- ... l#p1542197

yanaveron
Ukraine

Post by yanaveron » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Willyboy wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:08 am
yanaveron wrote:
Willyboy wrote:
hachel wrote:

Thanks
Yup, one of the guys just said he thinks everything was processed locally (i.e. not Sheffield but rather in the US). Good news for them, not so much for us :-(

Well, yes, they are lucky...
Thanks for info

europehelpme
- thin ice -
New Zealand

Post by europehelpme » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Dear all, I am trying to escalate and have received the email below to escalate

Thank you for contacting UK Visas and Immigration International Contact Centre.
With regards to your enquiry about the status of your application, unfortunately from the information provided we are unable to ascertain the exact nature of your enquiry/ or your immigration status.
Please respond as per the information below::

Full Name
Date of Birth
GWF number
IHS number
Passport number
Place of submission
Type of Visa applied for
Date of biometrics
Nationality
Applicants e-mail
Reason For Escalation

I did not submit biometrics and was not provided with an IHS number. Is this just a generic email or was I supposed to have received an IHS and submitted my Biometrics as part of the EEA Family Permit submission? I am really confused..... Did you all leave those two items blank when you escalated via email?

yanaveron
Ukraine

Post by yanaveron » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:22 pm

europehelpme wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:34 pm
Dear all, I am trying to escalate and have received the email below to escalate

Thank you for contacting UK Visas and Immigration International Contact Centre.
With regards to your enquiry about the status of your application, unfortunately from the information provided we are unable to ascertain the exact nature of your enquiry/ or your immigration status.
Please respond as per the information below::

Full Name
Date of Birth
GWF number
IHS number
Passport number
Place of submission
Type of Visa applied for
Date of biometrics
Nationality
Applicants e-mail
Reason For Escalation

I did not submit biometrics and was not provided with an IHS number. Is this just a generic email or was I supposed to have received an IHS and submitted my Biometrics as part of the EEA Family Permit submission? I am really confused..... Did you all leave those two items blank when you escalated via email?
Hi,
I received the same email, you just need to provide all necessary information ( IHS number if applicable, mostly not) and about biometric, as far as i know all applicants need to submit biometric for EEAR FP. How come you didn't do it?
Anyway, its a standard email from them. After receiving it i did provide all the necessary info, but the escalation wasn't done, so had to call them to escalate on phone, although still didn't receive any written confirmation of escalation, only oral via phone.
Regards

hachel

Post by hachel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Willyboy wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:08 am
yanaveron wrote:
Willyboy wrote:
hachel wrote:

Thanks

Well it can be a good news in a way. If UKVI decides to focus on the current backlog they have in Sheffield, and let new applications be handled locally it's a good news cause it can speed up.
Let's see if people from other countries report similar cases.