ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New resident buying car without credit

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TobyIsabelle
Newly Registered
Singapore

New resident buying car without credit

Post by TobyIsabelle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi, I am intending to move to the UK. I have a British passport but have never lived there. I have a Singapore driving licence which enables me to drive in UK for up to one year. I can only apply to convert my driving license to a UK license after residing in the UK for 185 days. However, I would like to buy a car when I first move there. I also have no credit history in the UK. Would it be difficult to buy a car/ car insurance etc.

Thanks in advance!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: New resident buying car without credit

Post by Wanderer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 pm

TobyIsabelle wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:40 pm
Hi, I am intending to move to the UK. I have a British passport but have never lived there. I have a Singapore driving licence which enables me to drive in UK for up to one year. I can only apply to convert my driving license to a UK license after residing in the UK for 185 days. However, I would like to buy a car when I first move there. I also have no credit history in the UK. Would it be difficult to buy a car/ car insurance etc.

Thanks in advance!
You can buy a cheap banger for a few hundred quid, insurance will be tougher, certainly more than the cost of car....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

gothical
Newly Registered

Re: New resident buying car without credit

Post by gothical » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:18 pm

When my brother was in your situation. His insurance cost him around £2200 per year for the first year but this was in London. Outside would be probably half of that.