ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EU unmarried partner in The Netherlands

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

foreignlaser
Newly Registered
Netherlands

Non-EU unmarried partner in The Netherlands

Post by foreignlaser » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:34 am

Hello everyone,

I've read so many different stories on this topic, but as our situation is somewhat unique, I decided to write my own question.

I am Serbian and my partner is Dutch. We've been in a relationship for 4 years, but we haven't lived together. We've been studying in different countries, but saw each other as often as we could (usually every other month and those visits were between 10 days and 1.5 months long) and of course, talked on the phone almost every day.

Already few months after we met, we wanted to try to switch Universities in order to live together, but it was too expensive for me and too inconvenient for him as Serbian Universities only hold courses in Serbian language. Now, after I finished my Bachelors, we want to try again to live together, in the Netherlands.

We see our relationship as very serious, but we want to try living together before we would possibly marry in the future. This is a more natural next step.

The problem is, the state wants us to have lived together for 6 months before they would approve my visa as an unmarried partner of him. But, how are we suppose to make that first step, if the country only allows me to stay in The Netherlands for 3 months? We hope to find some sense in this contradiction, but in case we don't, would you suggest any other type of visa that would fit our situation?
Additional info: I'm a graphic designer working online and he is a Phd student

Thank you all 🌸🌸🌸

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Non-EU unmarried partner in The Netherlands

Post by Wanderer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am

Does Serbia allow de facto relationship based on such a short period?

I'm afraid there is no easy fix for that are seen as transient relationships - some tangable level of commitment needs to be shown in lieu of a formal arrangement and there is none here.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

foreignlaser
Newly Registered
Netherlands

Post by foreignlaser » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 am

Wanderer wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am
Does Serbia allow de facto relationship based on such a short period?

I'm afraid there is no easy fix for that are seen as transient relationships - some tangable level of commitment needs to be shown in lieu of a formal arrangement and there is none here.
Dear Wanderer,
Thank you for your reply.

I'm afraid we cannot get a de facto status based ln our visits.
Third party weblink removed by moderator

stating that long-distance partners who haven't lived together can also apply for the permit. I don't know whether that actually works in practice.

I'm not surprised that this process is difficult, but I really hope that there is some solution to it.
Or am I naive to assume that a state shouldn't abuse our rights to choose a partner for ourselves?

gokulatti
Member of Standing
Norway

Post by gokulatti » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:50 am

I understand your plight more clearly than the words above since me and my partner had a similar situation. In your case the complication had actually become a problem based on the fact that one of the party is dutch living in NL so EU law doesn't apply (although there is a workaround by moving to another MS which take a lot of commitment, time and money) Therefore you fall under the dutch law which does allow unmarried partners residence however, under dutch law you are not considered as "unmarried partners" unless you have a joint household AND living together for 6 months, they are very very strict about it given that it is one of the easiest countries to get residence for unmarried partners while most of the other MS state expect 2 years as a minimum threshold. Since you do not come under EU law additionally you also have to apply for MVV (consider it as a preliminary vetting process) which means there is also dutch exams that the other partner need to pass along with other conditions which you can check at the IND website.

The easiest way I could think of is to maybe talk take a dutch course in NL or even the dutch citizen could maybe move to serbia while also living together for atleast 6 months, pass the MVV and then residence.

It is just that calling two people partners is more than just being a boyfriend and girlfriend. I hope you get through this and I wish you all the best.

foreignlaser
Newly Registered
Netherlands

Post by foreignlaser » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:02 am

gokulatti wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:50 am
I understand your plight more clearly than the words above since me and my partner had a similar situation. In your case the complication had actually become a problem based on the fact that one of the party is dutch living in NL so EU law doesn't apply (although there is a workaround by moving to another MS which take a lot of commitment, time and money) Therefore you fall under the dutch law which does allow unmarried partners residence however, under dutch law you are not considered as "unmarried partners" unless you have a joint household AND living together for 6 months, they are very very strict about it given that it is one of the easiest countries to get residence for unmarried partners while most of the other MS state expect 2 years as a minimum threshold. Since you do not come under EU law additionally you also have to apply for MVV (consider it as a preliminary vetting process) which means there is also dutch exams that the other partner need to pass along with other conditions which you can check at the IND website.

The easiest way I could think of is to maybe talk take a dutch course in NL or even the dutch citizen could maybe move to serbia while also living together for atleast 6 months, pass the MVV and then residence.

It is just that calling two people partners is more than just being a boyfriend and girlfriend. I hope you get through this and I wish you all the best.
Thank you so much for your detailed and constructive response.

mgb

Post by mgb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Maybe you can get a blue card via a job in the netherlands.
With a bachelor degree there should be some opportunities.

foreignlaser
Newly Registered
Netherlands

Post by foreignlaser » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:47 pm

mgb wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm
Maybe you can get a blue card via a job in the netherlands.
With a bachelor degree there should be some opportunities.
Thank you, mgb.

Yes, that is one of the ideas, or I would apply for a master course in The Netherlands. However, my non-EU status also makes that more difficult, as it is a hassle for employers to hire a person of such nationality because of paperwork and taxes. Studies are also very expensive if you're not from the EU.
So I'm starting to think - what can I offer to the state that a Dutch/EU citizen normally wouldn't?
I am also willing to do voluneer work, if I would find a vacancy to work for 6 months+.