ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Standard Visitor visa cooling off period

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nm
Member of Standing

Standard Visitor visa cooling off period

Post by nm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply visa for mother in law for standard visitor visa. She's intended to stay only two months here starting from December and planning to apply again for a visa in May or June period of time. Does applying visitor visa has any cooling off period or can I apply with out any restrictions ? She was here 3 years ago and stayed for 3 months.

I don not want to apply for a long term 2 years visa since chances she may or may not come in June.

nm
Member of Standing

Re: Standard Visitor visa cooling off period

Post by nm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 am

Hi

Could someone helps me answering this please ?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:23 pm

nm wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:32 pm
Does applying visitor visa has any cooling off period
No.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

poper
Diamond Member
India

Post by poper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 am

There is no cool-off period but if she shows an intention to stay in the UK for most part of the time within a calendar year the application can be refused
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:45 am

poper wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 am
There is no cool-off period but if she shows an intention to stay in the UK for most part of the time within a calendar year the application can be refused
Where are you getting this information? What is the relevance of "a calendar year"? Link?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

poper
Diamond Member
India

Post by poper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nce-v6.pdf

Frequent or successive visits: how to assess if an applicant is making the UK their main home or place of
work

There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in
any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an
individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse
their application.
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am

poper wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 am
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nce-v6.pdf

Frequent or successive visits: how to assess if an applicant is making the UK their main home or place of
work

There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in
any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an
individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse
their application.
This confirms that frequency of visits in a "a calendar year" is not a relevant measure. It is their overall travel history, and it could be perfectly okay to be in the UK as a visitor "for most part of the time within a calendar year".

poper
Diamond Member
India

Post by poper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:16 pm

I stand to be corrected, should've used "past 12 months" and not calendar year. But frequency of visits and length of stay do count

You should look at:
• the purpose of the visit and intended length of stay stated
• the number of visits made over the past 12 months, including the length of stay
on each occasion, the time elapsed since the last visit, and if this amounts to
the individual spending more time in the UK than in their home country