ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

European Health Insurance Card

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Shondra Sharma

European Health Insurance Card

Post by Shondra Sharma » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi Forum,
I want to apply European Health Insurance card for my british child to go Europe School holiday Trips. Child on its own can't apply, need to apply by parients on the behalf. We (parents) only got a 2.5 years leave to reamin. Do we able to apply this for our child?

secret.simon

Re: European Health Insurance Card

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 pm

In the UK, entitlement to EHIC is not by nationality, but by residency.
European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) wrote:Entitlement to an EHIC is based on insurability under EU law, and not on a person's nationality. This applies to all EEA countries. The UK operates a residency-based healthcare system, which means that insurability is generally determined by residency and not by the past or present payment of National Insurance contributions or UK taxes.

If you are ordinarily resident in the UK and not insured by another EEA country, then you are likely to be considered to be insured by the UK under EU law and, therefore, will be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC. You will need to provide the necessary evidence when applying. There are certain circumstances where you may be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC despite living in another EEA country. Further details can be found in the 'Living in Europe' section below.
You can make an application for yourself and on behalf of your partner and any dependent children under the age of 16. If you already have an EHIC, you must enter your own details first and apply for any additional cards when prompted.

If you are under the age of 16, a parent or guardian will need to apply for you. Boarding school teaching staff can apply on behalf of any children in their care.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Shondra Sharma

Post by Shondra Sharma » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi,
That means I can apply EHIC for my child.

Shondra Sharma

Post by Shondra Sharma » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:27 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 pm
In the UK, entitlement to EHIC is not by nationality, but by residency.
European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) wrote:Entitlement to an EHIC is based on insurability under EU law, and not on a person's nationality. This applies to all EEA countries. The UK operates a residency-based healthcare system, which means that insurability is generally determined by residency and not by the past or present payment of National Insurance contributions or UK taxes.

If you are ordinarily resident in the UK and not insured by another EEA country, then you are likely to be considered to be insured by the UK under EU law and, therefore, will be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC. You will need to provide the necessary evidence when applying. There are certain circumstances where you may be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC despite living in another EEA country. Further details can be found in the 'Living in Europe' section below.
You can make an application for yourself and on behalf of your partner and any dependent children under the age of 16. If you already have an EHIC, you must enter your own details first and apply for any additional cards when prompted.

If you are under the age of 16, a parent or guardian will need to apply for you. Boarding school teaching staff can apply on behalf of any children in their care.
Hi Secret.simon
Am I able to apply my child EHIC CARD?