ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with the 18600 threshold

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Kellycally111
Newly Registered

Help with the 18600 threshold

Post by Kellycally111 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Hello everyone,

Sorry to bother you guys. But I have a quick question as my partner is about to apply for a spouse visa, I have every required evidence but I'm concerned with something. I have a payslip for my salary for 6 months and basic pay is 1666 each month but back in July I asked my boss to pay me 200 pounds early as I had to pay for something important. My pay slip stlll states 1666 before tax on that month so basically my boss just deducted the money before he paid it into my account and I have seen in previous post you need a bank statement to correspond with the payslip. I won't have a corresponding bank statement for that month I will only have the first 200 pounds Payment and later my 1200 pounds payment after tax.

My question is will this matter ? Or can my boss just explain in a letter stating why that month was like that as I requested the money. Thanks

SoHopeful

Re: Help with the 18600 threshold

Post by SoHopeful » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi there...

I would ask the employer to confirm this in writing and use a sticky post it type thing to highlight the advanced payment received.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Usually the gross wages only matters so I don't think £200 borrowing will have any affect as long as the £200 was deducted after gross wages calculations.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Kellycally111
Newly Registered

Post by Kellycally111 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks very much. I will check where it was deducted from as soon as I have the payslip for this payment thanks

AmazingSully
Canada

Post by AmazingSully » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 am

The £200 deduction WILL matter because your payslips must match your bank statement deposits. As one of the previous posters mentioned, get a signed statement from your employer noting this, and attach a note to the statements this involves. If they are unable to connect your payslip to your bank statement they will go off of net earnings and not gross earnings which could set you under the requirement.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:21 am

AmazingSully wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 am
The £200 deduction WILL matter because your payslips must match your bank statement deposits. As one of the previous posters mentioned, get a signed statement from your employer noting this, and attach a note to the statements this involves. If they are unable to connect your payslip to your bank statement they will go off of net earnings and not gross earnings which could set you under the requirement.
Only gross wages before tax & other deductions matters and bank statements usually display net wages and HO is aware of that.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

AmazingSully
Canada

Post by AmazingSully » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:21 am
AmazingSully wrote:
Only gross wages before tax & other deductions matters and bank statements usually display net wages and HO is aware of that.
Yes, but the net wages are shown on your payslip and must match your bank statements. If they do not then HO can't verify exactly what your gross wages are, and based on Apprnedix FM 1.7, section 3.1.4, "Where the gross (pre-tax) amount of any income cannot be properly evidenced, the net (post-tax) amount will be counted, including towards a gross income requirement."

So in other words they must match up, if they do not then they will only consider the net income which can cause problems. This is why having a signed letter from your employer would be needed as this would satisfy the requirement of evidence for these pay periods, allowing gross income to be used.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 am

AmazingSully wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 pm
seagul wrote:
AmazingSully wrote:
Yes, but the net wages are shown on your payslip and must match your bank statements. If they do not then HO can't verify exactly what your gross wages are, and based on Apprnedix FM 1.7, section 3.1.4, "Where the gross (pre-tax) amount of any income cannot be properly evidenced, the net (post-tax) amount will be counted, including towards a gross income requirement."

So in other words they must match up, if they do not then they will only consider the net income which can cause problems. This is why having a signed letter from your employer would be needed as this would satisfy the requirement of evidence for these pay periods, allowing gross income to be used.

I think you again misunderstood. As you have now learned that only gross wages matter but you still need to know that taxes and deductions are usually made over gross wages to calculate net wages. In every work place it's a common practice that employer make deductions apart of tax such as pension contribution, training fee, uniform fee, any debt, etc for which HO must be aware.

AmazingSully
Canada

Post by AmazingSully » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:50 am

seagul wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 am
AmazingSully wrote:
seagul wrote:
AmazingSully wrote:

I think you again misunderstood. As you have now learned that only gross wages matter but you still need to know that taxes and deductions are usually made over gross wages to calculate net wages. In every work place it's a common practice that employer make deductions apart of tax such as pension contribution, training fee, uniform fee, any debt, etc for which HO must be aware.
I know the difference between gross and net wages, definitely not misunderstanding. Your payslip will show both net and gross earnings, your bank statement will show the deposit of net earnings, this is the proof that connects them, and what they will need to see. This is why you need to supply both your bank statements and payslips, so they can see the proof that you are actually receiving the money written on your payslip. They need to see that the deposits on your bank statement match the net earnings on your payslip. They can then use the payslip it corresponds to to use the gross earnings on your payslip.

Here is an example:
Your payslip shows gross earnings of £1800. After taxes and deductions the net earnings is £1600. Your bank statement then has a deposit of £1600. This is how it should be. They can now see the £1600 deposited into your account, but that's net income, not gross income. In order to credit you the value for gross income they look at your payslip that corresponds to that deposit and see it is £1800 and they credit you.

Let's now look at another example:
Your payslip shows gross earnings of £1800. After taxes and deductions the net earnings is £1600. Your bank statement however has a deposit of £1400 (because of what the OP listed). Because the deposit does not match any of your payslips they are unable to verify what the gross earnings actually were for that period (because your payslip no longer makes sense, if it did you would get paid £1600). Because HO can no longer verify your gross income for this period, under Appendix FM 1.7 Section 3.1.4, HO must use your net earnings in the calculation as gross earnings are not properly evidenced. If however you also had a letter from your employer explaining the £200 discrepancy, then the evidence requirement is met, and they can use the gross income listed in your payslip.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 am

AmazingSully wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:50 am
seagul wrote:
AmazingSully wrote:
seagul wrote:

I know the difference between gross and net wages, definitely not misunderstanding. Your payslip will show both net and gross earnings, your bank statement will show the deposit of net earnings, this is the proof that connects them, and what they will need to see. This is why you need to supply both your bank statements and payslips, so they can see the proof that you are actually receiving the money written on your payslip. They need to see that the deposits on your bank statement match the net earnings on your payslip. They can then use the payslip it corresponds to to use the gross earnings on your payslip.

Here is an example:
Your payslip shows gross earnings of £1800. After taxes and deductions the net earnings is £1600. Your bank statement then has a deposit of £1600. This is how it should be. They can now see the £1600 deposited into your account, but that's net income, not gross income. In order to credit you the value for gross income they look at your payslip that corresponds to that deposit and see it is £1800 and they credit you.

Your payslip shows gross earnings of £1800. After taxes and deductions the net earnings is £1600. Your bank statement however has a deposit of £1400 (because of what the OP listed). Because the deposit does not match any of your payslips they are unable to verify what the gross earnings actually were for that period (because your payslip no longer makes sense, if it did you would get paid £1600). Because HO can no longer verify your gross income for this period, under Appendix FM 1.7 Section 3.1.4, HO must use your net earnings in the calculation as gross earnings are not properly evidenced. If however you also had a letter from your employer explaining the £200 discrepancy, then the evidence requirement is met, and they can use the gross income listed in your payslip.
You re-misunderstood because all deductions in addition of income tax are usually displayed on payslips which is fully visible and understandable to everyone. What you misunderstood that net wages only come after tax which is not because net wages comes after tax + any deductions. Now you apply it over your example.

AmazingSully
Canada

Post by AmazingSully » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 am

seagul wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 am
AmazingSully wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:50 am
seagul wrote:
AmazingSully wrote:

Here is an example:

You re-misunderstood because all deductions in addition of income tax are usually displayed on payslips which is fully visible and understandable to everyone. What you misunderstood that net wages only come after tax which is not because net wages comes after tax + any deductions. Now you apply it over your example.
No, I am not misunderstanding this at all. I know there are other deductions, which I why I said after taxes AND deductions, that is inconsequential. You're missing the evidence requirement. OP said their payslip does not show the advance, and therefore there would be no payslip corresponding to the deposit on their bank statement. This would fail the evidence requirement for gross income as listed in the appendix and net income would have to be used. They need a letter detailing the issue or gross income simply cannot be used in the calculation.

Your payslips show both net and gross income. If your net income on the payslip does not match the deposit in your bank they cannot use the gross income listed on that payslip unless you can provide proof why it is different.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 pm

A bonafide well established organization always shows all deductions before gross wages on payslips which as told earlier usually is self explanatory. I am not aware about any payslip which don't shows deductions which are mandatory to show on payslip. See below link then I am sure you won't argue further but if you want then can continue with yourself. Good luck and read link:

https://www.gov.uk/payslips