ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship to child born inside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

paboluuk

British Citizenship to child born inside UK

Post by paboluuk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:32 am

Hi,

By God's grace and with help of this forum I've got my ILR approved. I had child born inside UK and now I want to register her as a British citizen. Right now, Child is on Indian Passport.

Could some one suggest me if she is eligible for British citizenship, so please provide me procedure in getting citizenship.

Many Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship to child born inside UK

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:42 am

How old is the child??

If under 18, register on form MN1 under section 1(3) of the nationality actm, which is an entitlement to register.

british-citizenship/citizenship-faqs-co ... l#p1343774

She will lose her Indian citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paboluuk

Post by paboluuk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:57 am

CR001 wrote:How old is the child??

If under 18, register on form MN1 under section 1(3) of the nationality actm, which is an entitlement to register.

british-citizenship/citizenship-faqs-co ... l#p1343774

She will lose her Indian citizenship.
Thanks CR001.

she's 2 yrs old.

Many Thanks

paboluuk

Post by paboluuk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:01 am

It looks whole process of getting British Citizenship would take 3-6 months. Do we have any other way to get it quicker ?

Many Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:16 am

paboluuk wrote:It looks whole process of getting British Citizenship would take 3-6 months. Do we have any other way to get it quicker ?

Many Thanks
No, there is no quicker way. Apply using NCS at the Council as then you get to keep all your originals and you can apply for citizenship and British passport at the same time using the JCAP service.

If you have travel plans, remember that your child must enroll biometrics for citizenship and if she doesn't have a visa, she won't be able to re-enter the UK until her application is approved and passport issued.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paboluuk

Post by paboluuk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks CR001.

Family will be travelling to India very soon so I need to make a decision quickly. I've two options which are listed below:

1). Apply British Citizenship & give kid's Bio-Metrics before they leave, so that once Passport is ready I can take it along with me to India and all family members can travel back to UK.

2). Family travel to India and kid travels with her Indian Passport. I'll apply for roa-coa sticker for my kid in India and once it's ready whole family fly back to UK. Once my daughter back to UK, then I can apply for her citizenship later.

Please advise which one to follow.

Many Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:36 pm

1). Apply British Citizenship & give kid's Bio-Metrics before they leave, so that once Passport is ready I can take it along with me to India and all family members can travel back to UK.
The sensible way to do it. You don't state whether she has a valid visa or not :?: :?:
2). Family travel to India and kid travels with her Indian Passport. I'll apply for roa-coa sticker for my kid in India and once it's ready whole family fly back to UK. Once my daughter back to UK, then I can apply for her citizenship later.

Won't work, she is not British so won't qualify for RoA/CoE.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

paboluuk

Post by paboluuk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:41 pm

@CR001, She has no visa but just the passport. Is it OK, leaving UK with no Visa ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Yes, she can leave without a visa but she will not be able to return unless she either has a valid visa or a British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

paboluuk

Post by paboluuk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks CR001.

Finally my daughter got her BC last week and I've posted the documents. My family back to UK soon. I've curious if my daughter travel with British Passport, Will the immigration people allow with out any other document ? Should I need to surrender Indian Passport in India first before her travel ? if other documents are needed, Could you please list them for me.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 pm

This is not the correct sub forum to ask about Indian passport processes. Please continue in your existing topic in the 'Other Countries' sub forum for this issue.

other-countries/travelling-from-india-t ... l#p1561957
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 pm

A point of clarification for British & Indian parents:
CoE-RoA is only an option for children born with both citizenships; i.e. either born to a British citizen and an Indian citizen in India OR to an Indian ILR holder in the UK.

If the child is born with only Indian citizenship but is subsequently registered as a British citizen, CoE-RoA is not an option. CoE-RoA requires the child to have a non-British passport. By registering as a British citizen, the child automatically loses his Indian citizenship and the right to an Indian passport.

The same logic also applies to most (not all) other Asian countries that do not allow dual citizenship (Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.