ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK with Article 10 Residency Card Success

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

whosbraddy
Newly Registered

Entering UK with Article 10 Residency Card Success

Post by whosbraddy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:46 pm

I have long been a passive viewer of this forum, as it contains a lot of information relevant to my family's situation. I have also noticed that some people post questions and then fail to follow up with their experiences, so I am here to do the reverse - having leached information from the website here is our experience:

Our details:

Me - British citizen and passport holder.
Wife - Peruvian citizen.

In March 2015 we moved to the Málaga area of Spain to live, not because we were planning on following the Surinder Singh route into the UK, just because we liked the idea of living in Spain. We rented a house and I registered with the Spanish tax authorities and social security as a freelancer to run my location-independent business through the Spanish system. I speak fluent Spanish, so had no real problems registering at the police station as a resident EU citizen, and my wife's application for an Article 10 residency card as a non-EEA family member of an EEA citizen was fairly straightforward and took a couple of months.

We decided to visit the UK for a few days for my father's birthday, about 7 months after arrival in Spain. Decided not to apply for an EEA family permit, as this website https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dence-card seemed to make it clear that it was not necessary.

23/10/15 - Got on a British Airways flight from Málaga to London Gatwick. No problem whatsoever at check-in, straight through security and onto the plane. At border control at London Gatwick, the immigration officer flipped through my wife's passport, noted that all her previous UK visas were out of date and stated that she wouldn't be able to enter the UK. After I politely explained that as a holder of an Article 10 residency card she does indeed have a right to enter, the officer went to talk to the Chief Immigration Officer. He came back after a couple of minutes with an ink pad and a stamp and stated that my wife can enter on an Article 10 residency card if I an exercising treaty rights. He then asked me if I was exercising my treaty rights and I stated that I was, and that I had documentation with me to demonstrate this. He said that would not be necessary, stamped my wife's passport with a stamp stating "Admitted to the United Kingdom under the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 for six months".

The officer then made a comment about how EEA regulations mean that the UK isn't able to properly control is borders, to which I replied that I didn't believe it to be unreasonable for a UK citizen to want travel to the UK for a few days with his non-EEA wife to attend his father's birthday party.

I hope that the details of our experience help someone else trying to navigate their way through the complex rules and regulations.

kunfayakun
Member of Standing

Re: Entering UK with Article 10 Residency Card Success

Post by kunfayakun » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Wow grateful to hear this and I believe this post would definitely help the forum members a lot!
Thank you very much for sharing this but I have a little query about when you get in to the flight, didn't they ask you for the visa?? or just no check over there?
Stay blessed
Kunfayakun

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:56 pm

And immigration officer broke the law by stamping the passport.
http://www.eearegulations.co.uk/Latest/All

PART 2EEA RIGHTS
Right of admission to the United Kingdom
:
(3) An immigration officer must not place a stamp in the passport of a person admitted to the United Kingdom under this regulation who is not an EEA national if the person produces a residence card, a derivative residence card, a permanent residence card or a qualifying EEA State residence card.

whosbraddy
Newly Registered

Post by whosbraddy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:15 am

kunfayakun wrote:Wow grateful to hear this and I believe this post would definitely help the forum members a lot!
Thank you very much for sharing this but I have a little query about when you get in to the flight, didn't they ask you for the visa?? or just no check over there?
Hi Kunfayakun, we were flying with British Airways, who use Iberia staff for the check-in at Málaga. The employee doing the check-in glanced at my wife's passport and article 10 residency card before issuing the boarding pass, no questions asked.

whosbraddy
Newly Registered

Post by whosbraddy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:19 am

acme4242 wrote:And immigration officer broke the law by stamping the passport.
http://www.eearegulations.co.uk/Latest/All

PART 2EEA RIGHTS
Right of admission to the United Kingdom
:
(3) An immigration officer must not place a stamp in the passport of a person admitted to the United Kingdom under this regulation who is not an EEA national if the person produces a residence card, a derivative residence card, a permanent residence card or a qualifying EEA State residence card.
acme4242, what would you have done in this situation? It may be the case that he broke the law, but calling him on it in the middle of a crowded immigration hall wouldn't have been a great idea. I also thought that his personal comments on the UK not being able to control its borders due to the EEA regulations were unprofessional and, frankly, out of line. However, after achieving the desired result, i.e. UK entry clearance for my wife to visit the UK for my dad's birthday, there didn't seem much point in rocking the boat.

soner328
Newly Registered
Netherlands

Post by soner328 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:17 am

hi, me myself originally from Turkey and living in Netherlands with residence card of a family member of union citizen with my wife also from Turkey and she has same residence card as me and she also have indefinatly leave to remain residence Card from UK and we have daughter she was born in UK so she hold a British passport. my question is that can I travel UK without obtaining a family permit visa and if I can would I be able to apply for residence in UK and while I apply for it. would I able to work ? thanks in advance
regards