ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 to EEA RC as Unmarried Partner - Various Questions

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kovacsma
Hungary

Re: Tier 5 to EEA RC as Unmarried Partner - Various Questions

Post by kovacsma » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks lunallena.

We are submitting letters from two landlords over the past 22 months actually. The earlier landlord was a real estate management company (letting agent) in Canada, and it clearly states that we were cohabitating. I acknowledge that we did not live together for 22 months, but we are justifying that with more than a dozen letters from friends and family that clearly state we were living in a substantial relationship long before we moved together. It was only my partner's existing tenancy agreement that meant she had to stay at her other flat; and then when she finally moved in with me, we were already well on our way to packing and getting ready to move to the UK so we didn't create joint bills and merge our bank accounts in Canada. Instead we just created joint accounts immediately on arrival in the UK. We are submitting the application after just 22 months living and banking together because her existing Tier 5 visa will expire shortly thereafter, and then her employer would have to let her go if she didn't have the RC.

Otherwise, we have all the social proof of our relationship as well -- family photos, overseas holidays, professional colleagues' and friends' statements, from both Canadians and Brits.

kovacsma
Hungary

Post by kovacsma » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:02 pm

kovacsma wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm

We are submitting letters from two landlords over the past 22 months actually. The earlier landlord was a real estate management company (letting agent) in Canada, and it clearly states that we were cohabitating. I acknowledge that we did not live together for 22 months, but...
Oops, I meant to say I acknowledge that we did not live together for 24 months.

lunallena
Mood:

Post by lunallena » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:28 pm

kovacsma wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:02 pm
kovacsma wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm

We are submitting letters from two landlords over the past 22 months actually. The earlier landlord was a real estate management company (letting agent) in Canada, and it clearly states that we were cohabitating. I acknowledge that we did not live together for 22 months, but...
Oops, I meant to say I acknowledge that we did not live together for 24 months.
I don't want to sound pessimistic but that may be an issue. I understand that you are not able to wait to complete 24 months so I can just wish you all the best for your application!

kovacsma
Hungary

Post by kovacsma » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Yea, we know what you mean... We've been advised that, legally, the Home Office cannot rely on the two year cohabitant rule for judging these things, by board members on here and by our solicitor. There's also something about it in the Home Office guidance - - - that if you can't demonstrate two years of cohabitation, then 12+ statements in support of your substantial relationship will suffice. Therefore, we are abiding by the guidance to show as much cohabitation as we have (22 mths), plus the additional two years in a substantial relationship before, and if the Home Office doesn't like that - - - well, the country can "go whistle" and we'll go to any other European country that will take two skilled, working people to be their taxpayers :P