ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shall I apply for naturalisation before my non EU spouse gets PR?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

adronik10
Newly Registered
Greece

Shall I apply for naturalisation before my non EU spouse gets PR?

Post by adronik10 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Hello,

So I am eligible to apply for naturalisation from 1/12/17 and I am married to non EU national

If I become British citizen will my wife be able to apply for PR in June that she will be here for 5 years?

My understanding is that she will, but I was wondering whether, after becoming a British national, I will be able to keep my PR card so that I could include it in her application with my EU passport.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Shall I apply for naturalisation before my non EU spouse gets PR?

Post by Wanderer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:08 pm

AIUI when you become British you are no longer able to sponsor someone under EEA rules.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Wanderer is correct. You should wait until your spouse has qualified for PR before you apply for British citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

adronik10
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by adronik10 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Thank you guys, very kind of you...one more question

So I should wait till June when she becomes qualified.
If I ask for my passport and PR card back before her case is decided so that I could apply for naturalisation at the same time will this affect her?
I want to speed things up because of brexit but I am worried about the odd case that I get British nationality and her PR application is denied...

I was hoping to get naturalised at the same time she gets PR card so that she could immediately apply for naturalisation without having to wait for the 6th year..

Thanks again

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:55 pm

adronik10 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 pm
Thank you guys, very kind of you...one more question

So I should wait till June when she becomes qualified.
If I ask for my passport and PR card back before her case is decided so that I could apply for naturalisation at the same time will this affect her?
I want to speed things up because of brexit but I am worried about the odd case that I get British nationality and her PR application is denied...

I was hoping to get naturalised at the same time she gets PR card so that she could immediately apply for naturalisation without having to wait for the 6th year..

Thanks again
In my honest opinion, this would be too risky. If your BC application is approved before her PR is granted she would be without an EEA sponsor. Bear in mind that once you receive your BC approval letter you have a limited time to book and attend your ceremony.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

adronik10
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by adronik10 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Thank you very much for your quick reply, much appreciated.
I will follow your advice and wait till she gets her PR before applying for naturalisation

adronik10
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by adronik10 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Casa wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:55 pm

In my honest opinion, this would be too risky. If your BC application is approved before her PR is granted she would be without an EEA sponsor. Bear in mind that once you receive your BC approval letter you have a limited time to book and attend your ceremony.
Hello again :)

So my wife just got her PR card, is it okay if I apply now for citizenship?

Many thanks

tmonaghan
Mood:

Post by tmonaghan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:14 pm

adronik10 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:45 pm
Casa wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello again :)

So my wife just got her PR card, is it okay if I apply now for citizenship?

Many thanks
Why asking when you already have the answer to your question if you read your posts again...?