ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - New Online Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

baddy

British Citizenship - New Online Application

Post by baddy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:39 pm

In addition to Postal and JCAP applications, HO have introduced a new online application process where applicants can fill the form, submit documents and make the right payment.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... onality-an

takdeerwala
India

Re: British Citizenship - New Online Application

Post by takdeerwala » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:42 pm

baddy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:39 pm
In addition to Postal and JCAP applications, HO have introduced a new online application process where applicants can fill the form, submit documents and make the right payment.

Some Questions:-

1) Is that Online Application optional or compulsary?
2) NCS is still accepting Paper based applications or not?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:46 pm

takdeerwala wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:42 pm
baddy wrote:

If you read the contents of the whole link, it clearly states if using NCS to use the PAPER FORM.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:50 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:46 pm
takdeerwala wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:42 pm
baddy wrote:

If you read the contents of the whole link, it clearly states if using NCS to use the PAPER FORM.
Thanks Yeah I read it afterwards. One more interesting thing is that this online Application will not work if one wants to apply for Passport also simulatneously. NCS is still on Paper mode for JCAP application.

Benji_182
inactive
United States of America

Post by Benji_182 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Wow - Why this was not around when I have applied some time ago ;///

ariskar
Member of Standing
Mood:
Greece

Post by ariskar » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:44 am

Digitized applications may lead to quicker processing times (no postal time, payment instant, etc). However, I assume one would also have to post a signed print-out of the online form and original documents (similar to online EEA(PR) available for some time now?).

The NCS application still has the apparent advantage of some proofing, evidence checklist and instant return of originals...

Does applying online enable some online tracking through the online application account :?:

Anyway a welcome added option for many.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:07 am

Some EU nationals applying for British Citizenship have both EU ID as well as Passport. They dont bother going to NCS and send application of citizenship directly as even if they send Original passport, they still got their EU ID to travel. For such applicants, this Online application will be beneficial with faster turnaround as quick payment, possible tracking, saving NCS fees etc.

Alien2017

Post by Alien2017 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't know how exactly will work, but it might be useful. I have used online application for EEA PR and the benefit is that you receive acknowledgment email instantly, payment is processed the same, and the most important thing, when you apply based on your circumstances is tailored and you don't have to go through all the pages from the paper form, or miss something.

rolla1
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by rolla1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 pm

When you start a new application you can see all steps

1. Start - 2. Application - 3. Documents - 4. Declaration - 5. Pay - 6. Download and print

So I guess that at the last step you will need to print form signed and send it with all documents to HO, so the online application helps you to fill the form only without hand writing and reprint pages in case of mistakes or I'm wrong?

iqkhanuk

Post by iqkhanuk » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Can some one explain that pls

I have ILR and looking to fill AN for BC.

Do I need to fill another form for british passport if so which one is that. While searching this forum it looks like this can be done under one application.

In that case which application is that which covers the whole process BC + passport.

Do I need to fill in this online form as well and send to HO as a seperate copy. I browse through it and it seems that we can print and send that form also.

So how many forms we need to fill in and send for same application BC + passport.

many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:33 pm

iqkhanuk wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:51 pm
Can some one explain that pls

I have ILR and looking to fill AN for BC.

Do I need to fill another form for british passport if so which one is that. While searching this forum it looks like this can be done under one application.

In that case which application is that which covers the whole process BC + passport.

Do I need to fill in this online form as well and send to HO as a seperate copy. I browse through it and it seems that we can print and send that form also.

So how many forms we need to fill in and send for same application BC + passport.

many thanks
You cannot use the online form if you want to apply for citizenship and passport at the same time which can also only be done through NCS. You will need to complete thr paper form AN and the passport form to do this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shakeerahT
Newly Registered

Post by shakeerahT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi, My brother and i have just used the online application service. its pretty straight forward and you can make payment for your application on the system as well. Once you have completed the application form and payment is successful, it gives you options to download :

- the supporting document checklist (the supporting documents you re required to post to the home office)
- biometric enrolment letter (which you take to the post office to enrol your biometric details)
- 2 referee declaration forms requiring your referees to sign and date (your referees wont have to fill any details because you would have filled it in when completing the form online)
- a copy of your submitted application which you can keep for yourself.

so, in summary, you submit your application online including your payment for the application, you go to the post office to register you biometrics within days and they expect you send your supporting documents within 15days of submitting the online application too.
Easy as Pie! :D

ariskar
Member of Standing
Mood:
Greece

Post by ariskar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 am

shakeerahT wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:03 pm
Hi, My brother and i have just used the online application service. its pretty straight forward and you can make payment for your application on the system as well. Once you have completed the application form and payment is successful, it gives you options to download :

- the supporting document checklist (the supporting documents you re required to post to the home office)
- biometric enrolment letter (which you take to the post office to enrol your biometric details)
- 2 referee declaration forms requiring your referees to sign and date (your referees wont have to fill any details because you would have filled it in when completing the form online)

so, in summary, you submit your application online including your payment for the application, you go to the post office to register you biometrics within days and they expect you send your supporting documents within 15days of submitting the online application too.
This is useful. As I see this will reduce the average processing time by about two weeks which is the time to receive by post the application, process payment, prepare, post & deliver the biometric enrollment letter by (slow and sometimes unreliable) 2nd class mail.

daisyd
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bulgaria

Post by daisyd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:02 pm

shakeerahT wrote:

Hey, shakeerahT thank you for the information, I am just filling in the application myself as well - super easy but got stuck on the attaching of the documents, more specifically the photograph.

Can I assume you send over a photograph of yourself with the full name and date of birth on the back as required in the paper application? Couldn't see anything mentioning the photograph in the Document Checklist at the end of the application.

For those that are choosing the online application route, this is the 'Documents' part of the application that I see - sharing this info as tax :) hoping this helps!

Mandatory documents

These documents are mandatory and you must provide them as part of your application. Tick the box to agree that you will provide each document: (Required)

1) The passport issued by (Applicant's Country) for (Name of Applicant)

Other documents

If you do not provide these documents, your application may be delayed or refused. (Required)

2) (Name of Applicant)'s Life in the UK Test pass notification

3) Proof of living in the UK for (Name of Applicant)

If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period.

If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (3 years if you're married to, or the partner of, a British citizen).

If you don't have your passport, or it wasn't stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you've been living in the UK.

4) Two referee declarations for (Name of Applicant)

5) (Name of Applicant)'s evidence of identity
You must include one of the following:
* your passport
* your national identity card
* your Home Office travel document
* your Home Office entitlement card
* your Home Office ARC letter
* your BRP card
* your birth certificate
* your driving licence

You must include evidence you have legally changed your name if it is now different to the one on your supporting document.

If you took the Life in the UK Test and used one of the above documents as evidence, you should use the same one here.

6)(Name of Applicant)'s proof of Nationality
You must include your:
* passport or EEA national identity card
* UK permanent residence card
* evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions

You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card.
Please note I have numbered the above for clarity, however, some of the documents overlap (e.g. can be covered by passport/EEA national identity card).

I can also see that the requirement for English language test is not present on my application as I have shown my degree for my Permanent Residence. Might be different for other applicants.

Thank you,

shakeerahT
Newly Registered

Post by shakeerahT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:29 pm

ariskar wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 am
shakeerahT wrote:

This is useful. As I see this will reduce the average processing time by about two weeks which is the time to receive by post the application, process payment, prepare, post & deliver the biometric enrollment letter by (slow and sometimes unreliable) 2nd class mail.

You're right ariska, it ought to reducing the processing times a quite a bit since the biometrics are done early enough to commence the background checks process at the same time as when you trun in your supporting documents

shakeerahT
Newly Registered

Post by shakeerahT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:45 pm

daisyd wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Hey, shakeerahT thank you for the information, I am just filling in the application myself as well - super easy but got stuck on the attaching of the documents, more specifically the photograph.

Can I assume you send over a photograph of yourself with the full name and date of birth on the back as required in the paper application? Couldn't see anything mentioning the photograph in the Document Checklist at the end of the application.

For those that are choosing the online application route, this is the 'Documents' part of the application that I see - sharing this info as tax :) hoping this helps!

Mandatory documents

These documents are mandatory and you must provide them as part of your application. Tick the box to agree that you will provide each document: (Required)

1) The passport issued by (Applicant's Country) for (Name of Applicant)

Other documents

If you do not provide these documents, your application may be delayed or refused. (Required)

2) (Name of Applicant)'s Life in the UK Test pass notification

3) Proof of living in the UK for (Name of Applicant)

If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period.

If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (3 years if you're married to, or the partner of, a British citizen).

If you don't have your passport, or it wasn't stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you've been living in the UK.

4) Two referee declarations for (Name of Applicant)

5) (Name of Applicant)'s evidence of identity
You must include one of the following:
* your passport
* your national identity card
* your Home Office travel document
* your Home Office entitlement card
* your Home Office ARC letter
* your BRP card
* your birth certificate
* your driving licence

You must include evidence you have legally changed your name if it is now different to the one on your supporting document.

If you took the Life in the UK Test and used one of the above documents as evidence, you should use the same one here.

6)(Name of Applicant)'s proof of Nationality
You must include your:
* passport or EEA national identity card
* UK permanent residence card
* evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions

You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship Apply for a permanent residence card.
Please note I have numbered the above for clarity, however, some of the documents overlap (e.g. can be covered by passport/EEA national identity card).

I can also see that the requirement for English language test is not present on my application as I have shown my degree for my Permanent Residence. Might be different for other applicants.

Thank you,
Hi, daisyd the photos required will be attached to the printed referees declarations. in this case, you ll need two passport photos, because you will print out one declaration per referee.
I go through this website daily for guidance , so its only fair to share my exeperience with others who may get help from it.

my current Timeline at the moment :
I submitted my online application on christmas eve
On the 27th - day after boxing day, i registered my biometrics at the post office, posted off my supporting documents and also received an email from HO confirming receipt of application.

Although it is not specifically requested in the online application, it is requested on the AN guide which the online application still refers you to. i would say still attach it to your supporting documentation and just highlight that you used it in your application for settlement.

let us know how yours goes. :)

amrhady

Post by amrhady » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi shakeerahT, thanks for the info very useful.

Just to double check, you are required to submit your passport when doing the online application? As in, home office will keep your passport while they're processing the application - and not just a photocopy. Correct?
Last edited by amrhady on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm

amrhady wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:28 pm

Just to double check, you are requirement to submit your passport when doing the online application? As in, home office will keep your passport while they're processing the application - and not just a photocopy. Correct?
Original passport must be submitted for all applications that are NOT made through NCS. HO keep them until a decision is made on your application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

amrhady

Post by amrhady » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:42 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm
amrhady wrote:

Just to double check, you are requirement to submit your passport when doing the online application? As in, home office will keep your passport while they're processing the application - and not just a photocopy. Correct?
Original passport must be submitted for all applications that are NOT made through NCS. HO keep them until a decision is made on your application.
Thanks CR001. I think that'd still make it much easier to apply via NCS, even with the convenience of an online application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 pm

amrhady wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:42 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm
amrhady wrote:

Thanks CR001. I think that'd still make it much easier to apply via NCS, even with the convenience of an online application.
The other big advantage of NCS is that you can apply for citizenship and the passport together.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 am

An important thing to keep in mind with new government digital services in the UK is that they'll evolve very quickly. The general idea is to release something basic that does the straightforward things as quickly as possible, and then iterate/improve on it and add further features, based on feedback from users, as well as analytics.

The team making that service will likely have a backlog of features that they want to add. I'd expect that it will evolve to simplify other things like:

- getting physical documents back quickly.
- getting advice during the application process (NCS etc).
- applying for a UK passport simultaneously.

I'd STRONGLY RECOMMEND that anyone who uses the online application takes the 30 seconds to leave feedback after. If you like the service, you can of course rate it positively, but the most important thing that will actually make the online application work as well as possible in the future is people giving constructive feedback on what they'd like to see improved in that end-to-end process from the moment they decide to apply for citizenship to the moment they have a British passport.

Shazia1983
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Shazia1983 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Hello
I have booked NCS for my daughter who was born in August 2017. My husband was on Tier 1 that time. Now he got ILR . We did not apply any visa for her for the last 5 months .
My question is
Can she apply Naturilsation using MN1 form ?
Can we use Nationality checking service?
What about the time period when she had no visa?
What documents do I need to bring to the NCS office?
Advance thanks for your reply

Ceebee
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Ceebee » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi, I'm curious if anyone can share their experience on the following?
I've used the online application service no trouble (submitted last Thursday 4th Jan'18), however I've sent my documentation using Royal Mail special delivery, guaranteed 1pm next day - only problem is it's a week later and Royal Mail's online tracking service still shows that my 'parcel is out for delivery', but not signed for yet!
I've spoken to Royal Mail who said that as its going to ukvi and due to the volume of post ukvi receive, they won't sign for every parcel.
So I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know if it definitely has been received or if it is lost and I need to start applying for replacements!
Interested to hear if anyone has had this experience or if anyone has advice on the way forward.

kemakerry
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Post by kemakerry » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi just wanted to say. I really hope that everything has been resolved for you. with something so important they must/ should sign for it.

Linaco
Newly Registered

Post by Linaco » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi,
I am about to send my online application and wanted to confirm the following: where do I get the referee declarations?
Do I just print pages 19-21 from the paper form and ask my referees to fill them in and date and sign them?
I could not find anything in the guidance (since the guidance is for paper form only).

Also, since I do not have a BRP (I never had it since I qualified based on my EEA PR), at which stage do I need to do the biometrics? Some people wrote in here that they sent their supporting documents together with the biometrics done at the Post Office, but how did they do this? Do I get a reference number once I reach the end of the application based on which I can do the biometrics?
Thank you so much for your help!