ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brit Settling in EU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Brit Settling in EU

Post by bruteforce » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Is there any chance for a British citizen to settle in an EU country to obtain citizenship? If yes, what would be the best way specially while the Brexit is being unleashed.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Brit Settling in EU

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:23 pm

5 years residence required in most countries (some required much more than 5 years though), some require very good level of their own language. A small number of countries I think have a quikcer route (maybe 2 or 3 years) but you require substantial investment into the country/a business etc.

At present, you can simply move and start exercising treaty rights once the relevant gov etc formalities have been done and it varies greatly between the countries. What the end result will be once Brexit takes place is still guesswork.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 pm

So much uncertainty because of this Brexit. Thanks for the input.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:20 pm
Is there any chance for a British citizen to settle in an EU country to obtain citizenship?
Depends on the EU country involved. You can become an Italian citizen in a year by being married to an Italian citizen and having a child by them and residing in Italy for a year. Germany, I believe, requires eight years of residence.

A similar question has already been discussed on these forums. You may want to run down the options.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Marriage is not an option. Seems like the only possible route for me is through residence. Thanks for the link, I shall browse the post.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 am

You will always have the right to live in Ireland due to pre-EU arrangements, and obtain Irish and therefore EU citizenship after five years.

Trouble is the Irish economy is going to go up the shitter, I was here during the Celtic Tiger and the following crash and I can see it all being set up to happen again, the Irish government never learns.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 am
You will always have the right to live in Ireland due to pre-EU arrangements, and obtain Irish and therefore EU citizenship after five years.

Trouble is the Irish economy is going to go up the shitter, I was here during the Celtic Tiger and the following crash and I can see it all being set up to happen again, the Irish government never learns.
Can you kindly elaborate what pre-EU arrangment you are talking about and how it will work. I did a quick google but could not find anything.
My situation is similar to OP, I hold british passport but would like to retain EU nationality post brexit.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:09 pm

shahid2000 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:03 pm
Wanderer wrote:

Can you kindly elaborate what pre-EU arrangment you are talking about and how it will work. I did a quick google but could not find anything.
My situation is similar to OP, I hold british passport but would like to retain EU nationality post brexit.
Well since Ireland was part of the United Kingdom for so long, when it separated in 1922 certain ties remained, namely that citizens of either countries are not considered foreign and can live and work, vote and draw pensions in each others State. So even if the EU never existed you a a British Citizen could just go to Ireland and live, work and retire there without any visa or immigration formalities.

That will continue.

Google the CTA, or Common Travel Area for more info.

So in order to retain EU FoM rights, you'd need to acquire the citizenship of another EU state, Ireland's being the easiest because no real formalities exist to stop you as a Brit moving there. Obviously you'll need to register for a PSC card, inform the Revenue Commissioners etc, and after five years in the Irish system you'd apply for citizenship like anyone else.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:09 pm
shahid2000 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:03 pm
Wanderer wrote:

Well since Ireland was part of the United Kingdom for so long, when it separated in 1922 certain ties remained, namely that citizens of either countries are not considered foreign and can live and work, vote and draw pensions in each others State. So even if the EU never existed you a a British Citizen could just go to Ireland and live, work and retire there without any visa or immigration formalities.

That will continue.

Google the CTA, or Common Travel Area for more info.

So in order to retain EU FoM rights, you'd need to acquire the citizenship of another EU state, Ireland's being the easiest because no real formalities exist to stop you as a Brit moving there. Obviously you'll need to register for a PSC card, inform the Revenue Commissioners etc, and after five years in the Irish system you'd apply for citizenship like anyone else.
Thanks you very much that's very helpful.