ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HMPO questions Naturalisation Status withdraws passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: HMPO questions Naturalisation Status withdraws passport application

Post by bruteforce » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 pm

As you said above, persistence has paid off. Congratulations!

AdInfernos
Spain

Post by AdInfernos » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Congratulations for your happy ending, Victor, and thanks for sharing the process. 8)

MYA

Post by MYA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 am

Many many many many congratulations victor, finally you have done it.

dilip_gem

Post by dilip_gem » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

Massive Congratulations! I am really happy for you. and Thank you for sharing your expereince in detail.

shinebright
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by shinebright » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Congratulations, wasn't easy, but it's worth it. all the best for the future.

sun_burn
Newly Registered
India

Post by sun_burn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Wow this is quite a convoluted situation. May I ask what's the status of your Indian citizenship relinquishment. Were Indian authorities aware that you used an Indian passport under a grace period ? I'm told they're quite severe with misuse of an Indian passport by those who've technically lost their citizenship . Do you have documentation about Indian laws relevant to your situation ?

mvrck
Newly Registered
Sri Lanka

Post by mvrck » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:06 pm

@victor 1980
Many thanks for the detailed account of your experience. I am experiencing something similar and planning to follow in your footsteps. Would be grateful on any additional recommendations on my situation:

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post.

I received my naturalization certificate in Nov 2015 and I flew out the day of the ceremony to Sri Lanka on a return ticket. I had quit my job and moved out of my rented apartment to start a business and was travelling to Sri Lanka to develop the product line. I couldn't return in Feb 2016 as planned but came back in Apr 2016 (using my BRP). I then started working actively in the business and my wife took a job because I wasn't able to draw a salary. Sixth months later when I returned from a trip to Canada my BRP was confiscated and I was told by IO to apply for a British Passport.

I had already booked a visit to Sri Lanka a few days from then, so I opted to submit my application from Sri Lanka in Nov 2016 (biggest mistake of my life), a year after being naturalized. They collected payment in Dec 2016 and requested additional documents in Jan 2017 and then nothing for a few months despite my calls to HMPO Helpline. I couldn't represent the business in the UK and fell out with my business partner forcing me to resign and pretty much lose over a year worth of effort and much more. In June I was interviewed at the local VFS office and advised that I would receive my passport in 6-8 weeks.

By this point I was sought for contract work in the UK and started calling the helpline virtually every day for an update to see if I could return to the UK and be considered for the role. I escalated it to the DG via my MP but no avail - they were told that the application was being processed. Eventually I received an e-mail response from a team who was supposedly handling my file. They too maintained that they were carrying out mandatory checks and there was nothing else to update. After asserting a great deal of pressure for them to find a way for me to return to the UK, they finally (a year after my application date) told me they could send my naturalization certificate back. By the time I received it, my wife's visa had expired and we'd just had a baby so weren't able to travel.

I wrote to this team from time to time, but always got the same response: mandatory checks. I wrote to HMPOs complaints team and they said the same thing. I wrote to the Prime Minister who wrote back saying that they'd be forwarding my letter to the Home Office.

Then on New years day (two years after my application date), I get a letter claiming that I had obtained BC by fraud as I had left the UK the day after the citizenship ceremony and only returned to the UK for a "brief visit in 2016" (a time when I was a active working director of a UK company). It also called into question my intention to make the UK my home as I was employed in Sri Lanka and settled with my family and maintained no ties to the UK.

Planning to come to the UK ASAP and re-submit passport application as recommended.

Question: Do you withdraw your Passport application before your submit in the UK?