ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen living in Ireland - bring Non-EU Spouse to Ireland.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MichaelTN

British Citizen living in Ireland - bring Non-EU Spouse to Ireland.

Post by MichaelTN » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Hello,

I am a British Citizen currently working full-time and living in Ireland. I have been married for a year to my Azerbaijani partner, we've seen each other before and after the marriage a considerable amount of times.

What Visa route would I need to take to get her to live here with me in Ireland?

I'm confused if I need a D or a C Visa!

Thanks in advance, don't hesitate to ask for more questions/information if needed!

MichaelTN

Re: British Citizen living in Ireland - bring Non-EU Spouse to Ireland.

Post by MichaelTN » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:28 am

Sorry to bump but does anyone know some information? Can't really find much on the internet!

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:11 pm

According to INIS you need to apply for a C Visa

Your spouse is exempt from paying the C Visa Fee

Once she’s with you in Ireland you can apply for the EUFAM Visa

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fa ... s+citizens

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 am

Ah I see, that's for the Residency Card correct?

I believe I was looking at GNIB Stamp 4, some information is here

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/re ... ion-stamps

Although still unsure if it's required to have a D or C visa, lots of conflicting ideas.

It seems that the GNIB Stamps have been replaced by the new Irish Residence Permit? I don't think I'm being clear enough, sorry!

I have a full-time job in here Ireland, an apartment and I'm a British Citizen here - so I assume I'll be going the route of - Join an EU/EEA or Swiss family member based on EU Treaty Rights

Anything further information would help!

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Your wife should apply for a C visa as per my previous link to enter the country.

The chain of Process once your spouse arrives in Ireland is:

Stage 1.
You’ll be applying for the 5 Year Card using the following form:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%20E ... %20EU1.pdf

After the EU1 application form has been lodged in due course INIS will write to your spouse advising to present at the local INIS office with yourself to be registered. She’ll be issued with a Stamp 4 for a period of time whilst the final decision has been reached.

Stage 2.
Once and if she gets a successful decision she’ll be advised to attend the local INIS office with yourself to be issued the 5 year permission otherwise known as EUFAM (Residence Permit).

Your are correct.
The GNIB Card is now called Residence Permit. Under the Residence Permit the Types of Stamps will be stated on the card. In your case it’ll be Stage 1: “Residence Permit, Stamp 4” and Stage 2: “Residence Permit, EUFAM”

It would be advisable that whilst your spouse waits for the Stamp 4 you start registering her name jointly so she receives utility bills, add her name to your tenancy agreement etc as proof of Activity in the State

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:41 am

Ah okay that clears a lot up, thank you for being very informative!

It does seem rather straight forward, although another query of mine would be regarding the 'C' visa. I've read in some places, although not sure if out of date, that you can't apply for a residence card on a 'C' visa, is this true or out of date information?

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 am

In your case the correct way is to bring your wife on the C Visa as stated by the official INIS website. The local immigration office (where your wife will be given the Stamp 4 once the EU1 application is submitted) might make a remark or two but they’ll soon get over it.

mgb

Post by mgb » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 pm

MichaelTN wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:41 am
It does seem rather straight forward, although another query of mine would be regarding the 'C' visa. I've read in some places, although not sure if out of date, that you can't apply for a residence card on a 'C' visa, is this true or out of date information?
The visa typ C is for family members of eu citizen and the visa typ D for family members of irish citizen or third country citizen.
I guess after the Brexit your wife would need a typ D visa.

narsilionh

Post by narsilionh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:46 pm

First. check if your spouse country need visa to visit Ireland (you can check in INIS website)

Second, if your spouse from no need visa country you could come to Ireland with your spouse
bring your marriage certificate. (in my case I brought my marriage certificate from UK)

if your spouse need visa your spous C type visa apply as soon as possible once spouse get the visa come Ireland together( if he coming himself still fine) but still your spouse might hold marriage certificate. it might be makes everything goes smooth and easier.

once spouse came Ireland send eu1 form to INIS office

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 am

Brilliant, thank you very much for all your help guys, helped me very much!

I assume the documents are pretty straight forward for the C Visa? Proof of address, income etc? is there anywhere I can view a full list? the government website itself lists all sorts and doesn't give a conclusive answer!

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:13 am

Hmm, just been looking at the C-Visa Form, forgive me if I'm thinking too much into this, although it states the date my partner will leave Ireland - of course we don't want this, as soon as she's here we will apply for the EU1 Form.

Still not found a conclusive list of documentation to include with the Visa, it only states Passport, Flight Tickets & Accommodation - surely there's other stuff required, like my Marriage Certificate?

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:12 am

Would appreciate some help if possible please! planning on making the process to get my partners Visa in February.

So far I've got her name on Utility & Rent bills.

Just need a conclusive list I imagine of what documents I need to supply & regarding the process for C Visa (As it states a leaving date!)

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 am

The following link provides detailed information on the C Visa application process. Provide as much evidence as you and your spouse can to satisfy INIS requirements

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Vi ... 20Friends)

The leaving date is a guidance to INIS so you can state 1/2/3 or more weeks to visit. In the end on arrival at the border the immigration officer will be stamping her passport and state the period of time allowed in the country (they can Stamp as less or as many weeks obviously not exceeding 3 months)

Note:
You can only use the utility bills you’ve already registered your spouse with, from the date she arrives in Ireland. Obviously anything before her arrival would somewhat be questionable since she hasn’t physically resided here yet.

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 am

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 am
The following link provides detailed information on the C Visa application process. Provide as much evidence as you and your spouse can to satisfy INIS requirements

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Vi ... 20Friends)

The leaving date is a guidance to INIS so you can state 1/2/3 or more weeks to visit. In the end on arrival at the border the immigration officer will be stamping her passport and state the period of time allowed in the country (they can Stamp as less or as many weeks obviously not exceeding 3 months)

Note:
You can only use the utility bills you’ve already registered your spouse with, from the date she arrives in Ireland. Obviously anything before her arrival would somewhat be questionable since she hasn’t physically resided here yet.
I'll take a look at that link in a bit, thanks!

Have I shot myself in the foot by adding my partner to the utility bills? The only bills her name isn't on, is the Internet Bill & Waste Bill, I guess I can just use this? her name is on the Electric & Rent.

Also, sorry to reiterate, but even though it says;

"If you arrive with a short stay 'C' visa, you must leave the country before your landing stamp expires."

A C Visa is still fine to apply for? and then when my Wife is here, we can apply for the EU1 Form?

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi

Apply for the C Visa.
Get her over here and apply for the EU1.
Don’t worry about the C Visa part saying she has to leave.
That’ll not be the case for your spouse since she’ll be applying for the EU1 Card. It says it in INIS Website black and white.

As for utility bills you’ve not shot yourself in the foot. Simply provide utility bills etc that are dated from the moment she sets foot in the state and you’ll be fine.

Good luck

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Brilliant, nice and clear thanks a lot!

I'll post any updates/statuses on here so people can see the process if they follow the same path. I'll meet with the local immigration officer in Tuam to see what they say also.

Thank god about the Utility Bills! Always panicking when it comes to Visas, done a few before but one misplaced document can just tear it all down it feels like!

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:16 am

Before I proceed with this - is there a conclusive list of what documents I must provide? the link you provided shpirtshqipe has a plethora of documents! although the one the @visamail provided me was just;

- Marriage Document
- Passports for both myself and partner
- Rental Contract to prove household
- Work Contract to prove I live here
- Proof of 2+ years in a relationship

This is the link I got sent by @visamail - http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fa ... 20citizens

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 pm

The required documents for the visa would be almost identical to the ones you’ve provided in your previous visa applications. Assuming here those visa applications where made to travel to the UK.

The list provided to you through email is correct and the link I’ve provided previously is further guidance. Submit what’s relevant to your case and you’ll be good to go

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions! Will update this post throughout my progress :D

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Confused again - just got off the phone to the immigration officer in Tuam and she has said apply for EU1 Treaty Rights after I get the C Visa?

But apparently I should go for the IRP Card after my Spouse is here in Ireland?.

Just again, getting mixed responses from everyone - been thrown off again.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:29 pm

You are wasting your time!

For one final time:

1. Apply for C Visa

2. Get wife here

3. Apply for EU1 2 or 3 weeks before the C Visa expires

4. Wait for response from INIS

It cannot be clearer and simpler with the instructions I’ve given you.

Good luck

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 am

You made it very clear, thank you shpirtshqipe! Ive sent off the visa application and almost have all my documents ready.

I have a question though because there's been a mismatch of information.

VFS Global, the people who handle the application state that I can supply no financial information or any amount of months.

Ankara Embassy say 6 months.

Immigration office in Tuam, Galway said any months.

What should I believe? I'm also sending my original passport through the post.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am

I’d say the VFS is most likely correct since she’s entitled to the visa being married to a EU National. However to be on the safe side, 3 months should cover it more than enough. It worked for me when applying for the C Visa for my parent where I supplied only 3 months worth of bank statements (different family member, same situation). If they don’t need it they’ll disregard it anyway when decision is being made by the Embassy.

I suspect the 6 month rule may be applicable to a Turkish citizen applying directly for a C visa to visit Ireland who has no EU family member.

That’s the beauty of Freedom of Movement Rights

Before sending the original passport of yours check first to see if a certified colour copy by a solicitor in Ireland is sufficient.

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 am

Ah makes sense, fantastic.

I actually got the Ankara embassy to give me the correct information! they were under the assumption I was talking about a partner, not a spouse.

They've now mentioned no original passport (they will contact VFS to let them know) although he's kicking up a fuss that I applied with a C Visa and not a D Visa - I've just linked him this page -http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fa ... 20citizens

To show that I can get her in on a C Visa and then apply for EU1.

Bank documents weren't mentioned by him either this time, but I'll be able to supply 2 months as that's how long I've been working in Ireland for.

MichaelTN

Post by MichaelTN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Strange, also been given a questionnaire to fill out? I don't think this person is understanding that my spouse can come on a C Visa.

I'll update if I get any further correspondence from the officer in the Irish Embassy in Ankara and once finalised and finished, I'll publish a conclusive list of what MUST be done, something which they seem to not be capable of doing.

Oh you're also correct shpirtshqipe about the passport, been told I can just send a scan.