ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayer for 19 years in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alreadyhere
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Overstayer for 19 years in the UK

Post by alreadyhere » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:00 pm

Dear all,

I would be most grateful if someone can advise me on my current situation. Nearly 19 years in the country as an over-stayer. Entered the UK on a student visa in 1999 and overstayed ever since due to DV back home. There was no state protection back home and I could have claimed asylum but I never did. Further more in the 1st year here I suffered DV from my then boyfriend, which left me severely traumatized and because of this I overlooked the need to regularize my status in my early years. I was diagnosed with PTSD and complex trauma at a later stage. My mother also left home shortly after me and lived for 15 years in the EU (due to the same problem). I am not married and have no children.

In 2013 I tried to regularize my stay and instructed my OISC adviser to submit Set(O) application outside the immigration rules. She forged my signature ans submitted FLR(O) application instead and pocketed the money I paid her as a Home Office fee (that's in addition to her fee) and ticked the fee waiver box - all this without me knowing. I understand that FLR(O) application was more appropriate but it was refused twice due to no fees paid (application was rejected as invalid). I only discovered what had happened when I removed my file from them. I reported the OISC adviser to OISC and they determined that it was not my fault that the Home Office fees were not paid, that the adviser did not pursue my case due to her own actions and that the signature looked different to the untrained eye. They also recommended that she repays her fees as my application was effectively never submitted. However, she refuses and I will need to take her to court.

In 2015 I submitted a fresh Set(O) application enclosing all the evidence of the scam by the previous OISC adviser. The application was rejected both for ILR and for the Discretionary Visa. In 2013 when I applied with the "help" of the OISC adviser I was very likely to get Discretionary Leave under para 276ADE(vi) which says (vi) is aged 18 years or above, has lived continuously in the UK for less than 20 years (discounting any period of imprisonment) but has no ties (including social, cultural or family) with the country to which he would have to go if required to leave the UK. My mother lived abroad, I have no siblings, etc. However, the "no ties" rule was changed to "insurmountable obstacles" by the time I made the 2015 application which was refused.

I was given a full right of appeal under Article 8 which. The appeal was refused in 2017 by FTT. The judge placed too much emphasis on the fact that I was an overstayer. She did not know anything about 14 year rule (now cancelled) or 20 year rule which is for overstayers. I will be 19 years in the UK in May. I have never claimed any benefits, etc. I volunteer in the community. The judge accepted that I am fluent in English, am integrated and will find employment if my status is granted. She also accepted that my mental health will suffer if I am sent back. She also accepted the strength of my private life. However, for the effective maintenance of the immigration control, the appeal was refused.

I appealed to FTT for permission to appeal to UT which was refused. I have now 3 days to submit an application for permission to appeal to UT directly which is not that simple as it's about errors of law.
Would you be able to suggest any case law or any further course of action please? :?:

I would be most grateful.
Thank you.

munirabid
Member of Standing

Re: Overstayer for 19 years in the UK

Post by munirabid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Try to gain time and when you completed 20 years then reapply , first go to error of law in upper tribunal if you are not successful then go for Jr so you will gain time or maybe inbetween any amnesty comes .

alreadyhere
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by alreadyhere » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Dear munirabid,

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that the judge erroneously concluded that I did not come to the UK to study. I was very distressed during the hearing and could not explain myself properly. After the hearing I consulted a solicitor who said that even if I re-apply for a leave after being here for 20 years, the Home Office will use the same excuse to refuse me. In regard to JR, I was advised that it's a cart case and it won't go to JR. I agree in regard to winning the time though. In the meantime, I also need to report once a month which has been a stress on its own.
Thank you once again.

munirabid
Member of Standing

Post by munirabid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:39 pm

Keep fighting and when all doors closed ,God will open another door for you and keep hope for good days and if New general election comes Labour will win and new amnesty comes, 20 years is rules even you are overstayed. You will get status.

alreadyhere
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by alreadyhere » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 pm

Thank you for encouragement! :)

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 pm

If you can document your proof that you have been in the country for 20 years, that will be the route for you.

With all the Brexit and Immigrations changes coming up, I would not be surprised if they changed the rules again. Hang in there for another year hun, I hope that success comes your way soon. 19 years without being able to travel or work freely must be incredibly frustrating. Keep safe and let us know how you get along.

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.

alreadyhere
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by alreadyhere » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Thank you bathanza. I have the proof of being here all these years. The Home Office also accept it (I have seen the notes of the caseworker while doing SAR request).
Thank you once again.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:07 pm

munirabid wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:39 pm
Keep fighting and when all doors closed ,God will open another door for you and keep hope for good days and if New general election comes Labour will win and new amnesty comes, 20 years is rules even you are overstayed. You will get status.
There will be no anmesty, such a policy isn't a vote-winner, no party is daft enough to include it in their manifesto, more so the Labour Party, who will only get elected on a popularist vote, and that means no favours to illegals...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

alreadyhere
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by alreadyhere » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:03 am

Thank you wanderer. I also don't believe that amnesty will happen.

blondesafari

Post by blondesafari » Thu May 24, 2018 10:58 am

I have read your post, and as an immigrant, I still have the opinion that because of people who do not follow the rules, regardless of reason, makes it more difficult for legitimate immigrants who do the right thing and follow the rules. That is my opinion. I will not comment further of either post, and would not have in this one had you not told me to read it..

FXR_1340
Member of Standing

Post by FXR_1340 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:53 pm

blondesafari wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:58 am
I have read your post, and as an immigrant, I still have the opinion that because of people who do not follow the rules, regardless of reason, makes it more difficult for legitimate immigrants who do the right thing and follow the rules. That is my opinion. I will not comment further of either post, and would not have in this one had you not told me to read it..
Spot on!

The OP said they have never claimed benefits. Well thats good. Cant help wondering how the individual lived and how they got thru life being in UK illegally without any money? Of course maybe this person had a job? I wonder how much tax and NI was paid?

harappa99
Newly Registered

Post by harappa99 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Start collecting all documents since 1999, like formal letters from college, bank, doctor, credit card, NHS, or any other formal letter based conversation you had with any organisation. You will need at least One formal letter (posted at your home address with your name) for each year to prove your continuous residence in UK for the past 20 years.

In addition, if your were registered with one GP surgery or multiple GP surgeries, get a reference letter from each of them detailing your start and end date of registration with them, to prove your continuous stay.

The above should be good enough for proving your continuous residence.

Try fighting and continue the case, go to Court of Appeal if you are not successful in Upper Tribunal. In court of appeal, apply for Pro-Bono scheme for free solicitor access, & apply for fee waiver in court of appeal fees. If court of Appeal remains unsuccessful, go to European Court for Human Rights (Strausburg) to fight your case.
Third party solicitor weblink removed by moderator

Keep fighting and Good luck.