ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Strategy for a girlfriend

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

agnetha007

Strategy for a girlfriend

Post by agnetha007 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Hello,

Situation:
  • I am an EU citizen. My girlfriend is a non-EU/EEA citizen from a European country. We would like to move in together.
  • Unfortunately, my girlfriend has very little money. Fortunately, I have enough to accommodate and sponsor her in creative ways.
  • At this point, we are not yet ready for marriage, but I am aware that the EEA(FP) route would make our situation much simpler.
Issues:

1. We are planning to apply for the Standard Visitor visa. I would have to fully sponsor her vist, covering all costs. It would be great if she could stay for most of the permitted 6 month period. Unfortunately, as noted elsewhere in this forum, even though this is compliant with the restriction, it could complicate her future visa applications. Is there a way make this work? Perhaps we can we apply for 2 weeks and then, upon her return to the home country, ask the Home Office or the British Embassy for "permission" to visit for a longer period? It is not clear what is the process for this.

2. Later, we are considering Tier 2 or Tier 4 route. Do you think staying for many months under the Visitor visa can complicate her future Tier 2 or Tier 4 applications?

3. The tourist visa form asks "Do you intend to work in the UK?". Is there a catch here? We are aware that any job applications should be made outside the UK. However, is it technically a violation of the tourist visa to, let's say, meet the potential employers and just chat with them (without having a formal interview)?

4. In a case of Tier 4 route, do you foresee any problem if another person fully sponsors the student fees and accommodation? Looking at the Tier 4 Policy Guidance, it seems to be fine, but maybe there are catches to be aware of.

5. Tier 4 route would cost us a fortune. Ideally she should find a job under the Tier 2 route, but that seems to be pretty difficult. My girlfriend is currently finishing PhD in her home country (unfortunately, her profession is not in the Shortage Occupation List). Perhaps you can suggest any other options, especially for the PhD holders?

We are not necessary looking for a way to settle in the UK, but we would like to find a way to be together in the UK for a year or so (maybe at that point we will just decide to get married or move to EU). I would appreciate any creative suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

agnetha007

Re: Strategy for a girlfriend

Post by agnetha007 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm

No comments or advice whatsoever? :cry:

Casa

Re: Strategy for a girlfriend

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:30 pm

agnetha007 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:34 pm
Hello,

Situation:
  • I am an EU citizen. My girlfriend is a non-EU/EEA citizen from a European country. We would like to move in together.
  • Unfortunately, my girlfriend has very little money. Fortunately, I have enough to accommodate and sponsor her in creative ways.
  • At this point, we are not yet ready for marriage, but I am aware that the EEA(FP) route would make our situation much simpler.
Issues:

1. We are planning to apply for the Standard Visitor visa. I would have to fully sponsor her vist, covering all costs. It would be great if she could stay for most of the permitted 6 month period. Unfortunately, as noted elsewhere in this forum, even though this is compliant with the restriction, it could complicate her future visa applications. Is there a way make this work? Perhaps we can we apply for 2 weeks and then, upon her return to the home country, ask the Home Office or the British Embassy for "permission" to visit for a longer period? It is not clear what is the process for this.
Requires strong evidence of ties to her home country (including financial self-sufficiency) to convince the ECO she won't overstay in the UK.

2. Later, we are considering Tier 2 or Tier 4 route. Do you think staying for many months under the Visitor visa can complicate her future Tier 2 or Tier 4 applications? No, as long as she doesn't exceed the stay requested her visitor visa application.

3. The tourist visa form asks "Do you intend to work in the UK?". Is there a catch here? We are aware that any job applications should be made outside the UK. However, is it technically a violation of the tourist visa to, let's say, meet the potential employers and just chat with them (without having a formal interview)? The answer should be no. She can however meet potential employers although is she mentions this in the application the visa is likely to be refused due to the intention to seek employment in the future which would contradict the claim of strong ties to her home country.

4. In a case of Tier 4 route, do you foresee any problem if another person fully sponsors the student fees and accommodation? Looking at the Tier 4 Policy Guidance, it seems to be fine, but maybe there are catches to be aware of. Not that I'm aware of.

5. Tier 4 route would cost us a fortune. Ideally she should find a job under the Tier 2 route, but that seems to be pretty difficult. My girlfriend is currently finishing PhD in her home country (unfortunately, her profession is not in the Shortage Occupation List). Perhaps you can suggest any other options, especially for the PhD holders? I'll leave this for others better placed to advise on the Tier 2 route.

We are not necessary looking for a way to settle in the UK, but we would like to find a way to be together in the UK for a year or so (maybe at that point we will just decide to get married or move to EU). I would appreciate any creative suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.