ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EEA (Tier 2) with EEA partner: should I switch?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kangourette
Newly Registered
Australia

Non-EEA (Tier 2) with EEA partner: should I switch?

Post by kangourette » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:01 am

Below, the discussion was about transferring/switching visa categories. But, I was wondering whether anyone can confirm if your Tier 2 automatically becomes invalid when you apply for an EEA family member visa and vice versa? From my experience, I suspect this is not the case...

My situation is similar to the OP, I had a Tier 2 visa, then applied for an EEA partner visa after 2 years of co-habitation without telling my employer. When my T2 visa was up for renewal (after I received the EEA partner visa), my employer renewed it. When I enter the UK, I alternate between the 2 to make sure they are both still valid, and I've never had an issue! Does this mean that my T2 5 year clock is not reset?

I also do wonder what will happen if I leave my current employer? After reading articles in the Guardian about the Home Office throwing people out of the country, I do hope that the Home Office realises that I have these 2 visas...

secret.simon

Re: Non-EEA (Tier 2) with EEA partner: should I switch?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:28 am

If you have a Residence Card (as the unmarried partner of an EEA citizen) under the EEA Regulations, you cannot be subject to the UK Immigration Rules. They are mutually exclusive. Therefore, my understanding is that your Tier 2 visa will have ceased as of the date of issue of your EEA Residence Card. Did you inform your employer that you are now resident in the UK on the basis of your EEA Residence Card?
Immigration Rules - Introduction wrote:5.Save where expressly indicated, these Rules do not apply to those persons who are entitled to enter or remain in the United Kingdom by virtue of the provisions of the 2006 EEA Regulations. But any person who is not entitled to rely on the provisions of those Regulations is covered by these Rules.
As an aside, status under the EEA Regulations are not visas, but rights certified by the Home Office. As rights, they supercede any visa issued under the UK Immigration Rules.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am

See also the Home Office’s interpretation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

lunallena
Mood:

Post by lunallena » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm

I currently hold two BRPs (EEA EFM and Tier2). I have entered the country using both and had not been told anything by immigration officers. My Tier2 is expiring in May 2018 so I will find out what my employer says if my contract gets extended... so I can't tell you yet.

"Does this mean that my T2 5 year clock is not reset? " I do think your clock is reset. As others have pointed out, these regulations are independent so from the moment your Tier2 expires, your clock is reset unless you extend this leave. In my case, I might apply for ILR based on 10 years when the time comes (I have been in the UK for 7 years) but even in this case is not clear my application would be successful because I am mixing regulations. If this doesn't work I might just stick to whatever regulation will be in place for European family members or just leave the UK. Only time will tell.