ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrender Indian Passport - penalty very high, help!

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ns64
Newly Registered

Surrender Indian Passport - penalty very high, help!

Post by ns64 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 pm

HI hoping you can help,

we made the mistake in that we did not surrender indian passport when my wife got nationalisation in 2011. So we have left it quite late.

M understanding was that if no surrendering within 3 years then a £169 fee is applicable. Also there are penalties if you travel to India using Indian passport. We haven't visited India since nationalisation.

We are planning to see family this year, but after posting surrender application at VFS we received a phone call that the total penalty over £3000. And we have to visit the application centre to resolve it.

I don't understand why it is so high, It is very deflating at due to health problems we never came round to it, we have been unable to go India for some time, and we were not aware of the penalty. Wondering if anyone has gone through the same ,if so, is there a way to establish how the penalty is derived?

Thanks in advance

alien.uk
Mood:

Re: Surrender Indian Passport - penalty very high, help!

Post by alien.uk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:50 am

While I see an obvious mistake from your side of not surrendering the passport on time, £3000 sound a but high for a penalty.
It usually works the number of trips to India x Penalty £££

I think a better Idea will be to contact the embassy directly and avoid VFS contact as it is a case of exception. Contacting embassy is not encouraged but I would ask you to make efforts and meet the embassy officials and provide a 'case' of why you were not able to surrender the passport on time and request them to defer the penalty / minimise the penalty amount.

Alternatively, See if you can deal this surrender while being in India where it is "easier" (I hope you know what I mean by saying easier!)

Do this as asap as you are spoiling the chances of getting future Indian Visas (after the current active Indian passport expires) and OCI.
Alien UK
ILR received - November 2014
Applied for Naturalisation - Feb 2016
Naturalisation Approval - Mar 2016
Passport Received - April 2016

sadindian
Newly Registered

Post by sadindian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Hello ns64,

Were you able to get a satisfactory resolution? I have a similar problem. I submitted my application for surrender this week, similarly due to some family health issues I did not surrender or travel to India for > 5 years.

Reading your post has really worried me. Please could you let me know how it was resolved.

Thank you

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:14 pm