ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Semi-irregular situation and need some advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BigRedBuffalo
Newly Registered
Canada

Semi-irregular situation and need some advice

Post by BigRedBuffalo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Good day all,

I've been researching a ton into the visa processes for the UK and me head is starting to spin, so I'd appreciate some help/advice/guidance if you'd be so kind to offer it.

I'm a dual Canadian/British citizen currently working and living in Canada. I've visited the UK lots, have my NI and NHS numbers, but haven't lived there for any significant amount of time. My girlfriend and I want to get married, but she is Russian and currently living and working in Moscow. For the record, we've known each other almost 3 years now, spent significant time together, traveled together etc. and I don't think we'll have too much trouble proving a relationship.

I just want to clarify a couple things, and ask a few questions.

Assuming for sake of argument I could go over to the UK right now and get an 18.6k+ a year job, would the timeline be as follows:
1) Wait 6 months to prove the income for the MIR
2) Apply for a fiance visa well girlfriend is still in Russia and once approved she comes to the UK
3) Once married, apply for a spouse visa (in the UK or would she have to go back to Russia)?

So, question time.
1) Do residency requirements on my part play a factor at all? Even though I'm a British citizen, would I have to spend some time there before I can go through this process?
2) Do I have to wait the 6 months to prove MIR or are there ways to prove it otherwise? ie. a contract with guaranteed income
3) Would getting married in Canada speed up this process at all?

Furthermore, we're seriously considering going to the EU instead (while I still can pre-Brexit). We don't want to necessarily use the Surinder Singh route just as a loophole - we would seriously consider living in the EU long term, possibly relocating to the UK in a few years if we start having kids.

Is there any detriment to spending "too long" in the EU then coming to the UK?

It seems like the EU route is so much simpler, quicker, affordable and painless, so much so that it seems remarkable how different it is than the UK system for Brits. Am I missing something here?

Last question, we're thinking of moving to the Czech Republic or Poland (she can keep her job too if we do). Does anyone know if it's relatively hassle free to go through the process of 'importing' her there?

Thanks so much guys!

PS. Everyone asks, but no, Canada is not a long term option for us.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Semi-irregular situation and need some advice

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:27 am

Assuming for sake of argument I could go over to the UK right now and get an 18.6k+ a year job, would the timeline be as follows:
1) Wait 6 months to prove the income for the MIR - Correct. Or you could use savings if you have £62,500 held for 6 months.

2) Apply for a fiance visa well girlfriend is still in Russia and once approved she comes to the UK Correct

3) Once married, apply for a spouse visa (in the UK or would she have to go back to Russia)? If she applies for the Fiance visa (£1,464)
then yes she can switch to spouse visa within the UK. If she mistakenly applies
So, question time.
1) Do residency requirements on my part play a factor at all? Even though I'm a British citizen, would I have to spend some time there before I can go through this process? No minimum residency requirement for you.

2) Do I have to wait the 6 months to prove MIR or are there ways to prove it otherwise? ie. a contract with guaranteed income Current income with a guaranteed job offer meeting the requirement. However, this is usually more beneficial if both are moving from the same country not one from Canada and one from Russia.

3) Would getting married in Canada speed up this process at all? Possibly and would save money as you would then only need one £1,464 application vs the 6 month fiance visa at £1,464 and then spouse visa within 6 months at £1,464. She also has to pay the £600 Immigration Health Surcharge for the spouse visa (not fiance).
Furthermore, we're seriously considering going to the EU instead (while I still can pre-Brexit). We don't want to necessarily use the Surinder Singh route just as a loophole - we would seriously consider living in the EU long term, possibly relocating to the UK in a few years if we start having kids.

In a few years, you would likely need to go the spouse visa route (rules could be much tougher than now) as we won't be in the EU at that time. No one knows what the 'deal' will be for British citizens in the EU.
Is there any detriment to spending "too long" in the EU then coming to the UK?
Not really, except that you are running out of time. You would also need to be married to use the EU route to make it simpler. You should as about this route in the EEA Route Applications sub forum (click)
It seems like the EU route is so much simpler, quicker, affordable and painless, so much so that it seems remarkable how different it is than the UK system for Brits. Am I missing something here?
It is suppose to be, but isn't always, with some EU states being particularly difficult and issue multiple refusals.
Last question, we're thinking of moving to the Czech Republic or Poland (she can keep her job too if we do). Does anyone know if it's relatively hassle free to go through the process of 'importing' her there?
You would need to ask this question in the europe-immigration sub forum (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.