ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Awkward gap inbetween masters and PhD not covered by Tier 4?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mjhennessy
Newly Registered
United States of America

Awkward gap inbetween masters and PhD not covered by Tier 4?

Post by mjhennessy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Hello

I suspect this is a fairly common question. The Tier 4 visa I obtained for my masters last year expires on the 2nd of April. However I've been offered a PhD position that begins in september. As I have a job, apartment and life in the UK I am fairly loath to drop all this to move back to the USA for 4 months. Getting another job and another apartment for only 4 months is going to be a waste of my time and money not to mention flying me and all my things back to the US (or storing them here?) is going to be another financial drain

Has anyone had experience with applying to bridge this awkward gap? It seems as if the Home Office will only allow you to extend if your new program starts within a month of the expiry of your old visa but that seems a bit silly

Please let me know!

Meagan

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Awkward gap inbetween masters and PhD not covered by Tier 4?

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:39 pm

mjhennessy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm
Has anyone had experience with applying to bridge this awkward gap? It seems as if the Home Office will only allow you to extend if your new program starts within a month of the expiry of your old visa but that seems a bit silly
Your only option for applying in the UK is, as you say, if your new Tier 4 sponsor will bring the start date of the new course forward to within 28 days of the end of your current visa. It is also worth checking if the end date of your current visa is correct.

Otherwise, you will need to apply in your home country.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.