ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child travelling using valid leave to remain (when parents are on ILR already)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

divac
Newly Registered
Russia

Child travelling using valid leave to remain (when parents are on ILR already)

Post by divac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Hello everyone,

Me and my partner both have ILRs, while our child is eligible for citizenship via MN1 route. We are planning to go to Spain in May and are worried about processing times of MN1+passport applications. We are afraid that we won't have a British passport for the child in time to travel.

So our question is whether we can postpone MN1 application and travel to Spain with Schengen visas and come back to the UK by showing two ILRs and an "old" BRP that expires in august 2018?

Many thanks for any help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child travelling using valid leave to remain (when parents are on ILR already)

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:47 pm

An 'old' BRP expiring in August 2018 is not 'old'.

On what basis did you obtain ILR, 5 year route or 10 years long residence?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

divac
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: Child travelling using valid leave to remain (when parents are on ILR already)

Post by divac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm

5-year Tier 2 route.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:59 pm

If the child's visa expires in August THIS YEAR as you stated 2018, then it is still valid and the child is free to travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

divac
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by divac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:09 pm

Oh that is excellent. I was concerned with the status of a "dependent" of his BRP. And when we applied to ILR they asked us why our child is not included in the application. My reply was that he is going to go via MN1 route. So I assumed that somehow home office expects us to update the child's immigration status before we travel next time. I am glad to learn they will let us in using the valid BRP.

Thank you for your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:11 pm

See link below, the rules permit dependents to stay on their visa without any issue, provided the main PBS migrant got ILR based on the PBS route and not long residence.

immigration-for-family-members/dependan ... 14832.html

Assuming of course that your child is UK born as well??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

divac
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by divac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Yes, my son was born in the UK before we had the ILRs. At some point we (parents) had to extend our leave and he was included in the application as Tier 2 dependent.

By looking at FAQ's Q35 it says: "After settlement, register your child as a British citizen" (which I haven't done yet and because of that phrase I am worried whether at the border they will ask us why we haven't do so?) but as you say given that my son has a valid BRP until August 2018, he may freely re-enter the UK in June 2018 without any issues?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm

You will not be asked 'why you haven't done it yet'. Citizenship laws are completely separate to immigration rules. He has a valid visa, he can travel and re-enter the UK without any issues.
Char (CR001 not Casa)