ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can students earn money online on tier 4 visas?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MSKF

Can students earn money online on tier 4 visas?

Post by MSKF » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Hello,

Say that I'm in the UK studying on a Tier 4 visa. I understand that I have upto 20 hours a week work permit. What about the money that I earn from YouTube? Say that I set up a YouTube channel and collect money from Adsense, is that fine? What if i am using services like Patreon where others can donate money to me per video I make or per month, what about that?

It seems to me like a grey area. It is difficult to quantify the number of hours put in to make a video. How would it work then? I'm guessing that I'd have to pay the income tax anyway. Which is a reasonable demand. However, not sure if working like this falls within the 20 hours rule.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Can students earn money online on tier 4 visas?

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:12 am

There is a simple answer to your question.... If you generate income by the means you are suggesting and it is in your sole name then by default you are self employed. Any legal entity that you own or operate amounts to the same thing as well.

Student Tier 4 visa - not all student visas have the right to work, if it allows you to work it precludes setting up a business or being self employed.

So technically what you are suggesting would be a breach of your visa conditions.

MSKF

Post by MSKF » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:13 am

That actually makes sense. What about donations to the channel? Would that fall under the same category? Say, people love my videos where I build stuff. They want to fund these projects and watch more videos of me doing this. So they all donate some money. Would that be illegal too?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:23 am

Donations are still income and would still need to be declared, which means you are still working.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:39 am

The UK Council for International Student Affairs now has a detailed blog post that looks at where monetized YouTube channels and other money-making activities fit (or more often do not fit) into the Tier 4 working conditions:

Blog: A working definition
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.