ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Investment in the business

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abacus123
Pakistan

Investment in the business

Post by abacus123 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Dear Members

I am in the process of extending my Tier 1 Ent 50K route visa and this platform has helped me a lot to clear my ambiguity/uncertainty regarding my Job creation criteria queries.

I have got few questions regarding showing the investment in the company. Since the incorporation of company me and my other team member have invested 73k in the company. The funds were transferred from our joint account to the business account over the period of three years on whenever needed basis. My accountant has shown this investment in the financial statement in this way ; In the Asset section of balance sheet, 73k is coming as an Investment and in the long term liability section of balance sheet, 73k is shown as Director's Loan. My question is whether this is the correct way to show investment in the financial statements and if yes, do I need to create and send director's loan agreement with my extension application.

Many thanks :)

zimba
Mood:

Re: Investment in the business

Post by zimba » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm

The official guide is very clear on this. Also there are many many running posts discussing the same subject. :?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

abacus123
Pakistan

Post by abacus123 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks for your reply Zimba..I did try to search this..no luck..let me go through again :(

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:21 am

abacus123 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:44 pm
Dear Members

I am in the process of extending my Tier 1 Ent 50K route visa and this platform has helped me a lot to clear my ambiguity/uncertainty regarding my Job creation criteria queries.

I have got few questions regarding showing the investment in the company. Since the incorporation of company me and my other team member have invested 73k in the company. The funds were transferred from our joint account to the business account over the period of three years on whenever needed basis. My accountant has shown this investment in the financial statement in this way ; In the Asset section of balance sheet, 73k is coming as an Investment and in the long term liability section of balance sheet, 73k is shown as Director's Loan. My question is whether this is the correct way to show investment in the financial statements and if yes, do I need to create and send director's loan agreement with my extension application.

Many thanks :)
As Zimba mentioned, the documentation requirement for a Director's loan is very clear. A DL agreement is mandatory.

But your description of the accounts, if correct, makes me wonder about your accountant. Your DL is a liability and not an asset - so not sure how it turns up in your asset section.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

abacus123
Pakistan

Post by abacus123 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi .. that was the reason I asked this question .. it’s coming as an investment in asset section .. when I asked this to accountant he said that where else you can show the investment in the company ?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 pm

abacus123 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:39 pm
Hi .. that was the reason I asked this question .. it’s coming as an investment in asset section .. when I asked this to accountant he said that where else you can show the investment in the company ?
Replace your accountant :!: :!:
I can’t see how he balances the accounts
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by bizman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 pm

investment into a company first and foremost will be treated as an asset before further provision is made depending on the circumstances of the investment. In your case it is a loan and has to be treated as such. get a DL Agreement and attach to your annual account. Also ensure the bank statement showing the tranches of investment paid from your joint account to your business account is included
Bizman

abacus123
Pakistan

Post by abacus123 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 pm

Thanks a lot

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:55 am

bizman wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 pm
investment into a company first and foremost will be treated as an asset before further provision is made depending on the circumstances of the investment. In your case it is a loan and has to be treated as such. get a DL Agreement and attach to your annual account. Also ensure the bank statement showing the tranches of investment paid from your joint account to your business account is included
This may be a splitting of terms but an investment into a Company is a liability from the Company's accounts - not an asset.
When the investment is by transferring money into the companies bank account, it does CREATE an asset - i.e. a bank balance. Other ways of investing into the company may be cash (shows as cash in hand) or stock (when you buy things and transfer it to the company) and so on. They all show up as assets in the balance sheet.
But if, in the balance sheet, you have line that says Investment, then it generally means the Company has invested the money into something else (example, bought shares)

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by bizman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 pm

marcnath wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:55 am
bizman wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 pm
This may be a splitting of terms but an investment into a Company is a liability from the Company's accounts - not an asset.
When the investment is by transferring money into the companies bank account, it does CREATE an asset - i.e. a bank balance. Other ways of investing into the company may be cash (shows as cash in hand) or stock (when you buy things and transfer it to the company) and so on. They all show up as assets in the balance sheet.
But if, in the balance sheet, you have line that says Investment, then it generally means the Company has invested the money into something else (example, bought shares)
We are saying the same thing in different ways. I want them to have a lay man understanding of how it works.
Bizman