ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Universal credit with spouse subject to immigration control

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

charles1986
Newly Registered
India

Claiming Universal credit with spouse subject to immigration control

Post by charles1986 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice regarding claiming Universal Credit. The current situation is: I am on ILR and self-employed earning 22k/yr. My wife is in Tier 1 dependent visa with Ilr eligible in October 2018. She is employed with earnings of 12k/yr. We have 2 children. I understand that my wife is not eligible to claim any benefits. What is the procedure to make a single Universal credit claim as I cannot find any information online to do? Do I have to register my claim through the phone as online seems to be the only joint claim? I do understand that I have to give spouse details to make a claim but I don't want it to be a joint claim.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance... :D :D :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Claiming Universal credit with spouse subject to immigration control

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 am

With a joint income of £35k, it is unlikely you will qualify for much in terms of benefits. Your household income will be used to calculate any entitlement and you must declare your spouse and their income as you are not 'single'.

You can claim child benefits in YOUR name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

polistan
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Re: Claiming Universal credit with spouse subject to immigration control

Post by polistan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 am
With a joint income of £35k, it is unlikely you will qualify for much in terms of benefits. Your household income will be used to calculate any entitlement and you must declare your spouse and their income as you are not 'single'.

You can claim child benefits in YOUR name.
Very good reply.