ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of Name - Will this be accepted

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DoriDori
Newly Registered
Poland

Change of Name - Will this be accepted

Post by DoriDori » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi guys,

Wondering if you can help me. I am from Poland and next month I want to apply for British citizenship. About year ago I changed my former name as I wanted to be called after my mother and didn't want to have my fathers surname anymore. I actually never changed my surname in my polish passport on time so got my residency, university degree and passed my uk life test with my former name. Finally I decided to change my surname in my polish passport so I can start using my mums surname. I will apply for British citizenship under my new name as that what I ll have on my foreign passport.im a bit worried as my old name will be still present on my other documents ; uk life test and residency.. do you think this will be still acceptable? Any advise ?Xxx

Mcmahon1
Newly Registered
Denmark

Re: Change of Name - Will this be accepted

Post by Mcmahon1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi.
I was in the same situation few months ago and mine got approved. Now a British citizen.

I submitted:
Deed poll.
Old and new passport to show the link between names.
Statement and explained why.
Also proof I had been using that name.

Hope that helps.

DoriDori
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by DoriDori » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply. It makes me feel a bit better now. I also got informed by HO that's this would be acceptable but it was only confirmed over the phone and I was still not sure. Can you please recommend me the website where You applied for deed poll and let me know if you had provide any documentation to get it? Thanks a lot! Xx

earthshine
Italy

Post by earthshine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:32 am

Was your application successful? I was told that you cannot use a different name from that on your passport, uness your original passport has been changed. Mine has not (yet) therefore I applied under my old name, despite having sent my deed poll. But if they accept that I would like to know as a matter of urgency so that I can change the name on my application....

DoriDori
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by DoriDori » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:41 am

Mcmahon/ did you change name officially after u got residency card or after? X

earthshine
Italy

Post by earthshine » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am

My name has been changed before I got the residency card. I applied under my old name as I believed the guidance stated that you cannot apply with a name different than your passport. So I submitted evidence of both names, with deed poll, and passport under my old name.

Mcmahon1
Newly Registered
Denmark

Post by Mcmahon1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi.

I applied change for name before me PR but never changed my originally passport only driver license.

When I submitted my PR I sent my passport and deed poll witnessed by solicitor however PR was issued in my old name as it was not in my passport.

Before applying for citizenship I changed my name in my home country passport and submitted above exlapined why my PR was different and submitted both passports old and new one. Did show evidence of the name link and show I have used it.

The deed poll has to be notarised by solicitor and stamped before it’s official.

Rule of thumb is: anything you do and say to home office when applying for citizenship you should be able to demonstrate with proof. I did and as I said mine was approved. Does that help?

DoriDori
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by DoriDori » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 am

Hi !

Thanks a lot for your help. This makes sense to me. I think if I attach two passports as a proof and the deed poll that should be okay. I already spoke to solicitor and they want 40£ form the name deed poll. I was wondering if you could let me know how much you paid and also how does your deed poll looks like? Did you download form online or Was it created by the solicitor ? Also did you attach additional statement about your name change in the application or you mean you just mentioned about it in the application ? Xx

Thanks a lot for your help

Mcmahon1
Newly Registered
Denmark

Post by Mcmahon1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi.

I bought an online deed poll and it was sent to me by post. Then I got it notarised by a solicitor plus I had it vinaigretted. Solicitor charged me £120 the virgarette was £40. I sent home office both passports. Old and new name. I did include statement why I changed name and how I’ve used it. As mentioned mine got approved no issues. Did include criminal check from home in old and new name so they could see there was no attempt to hide anything. But you don’t need last bit.

DoriDori
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by DoriDori » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Thanks for your reply! I will order my deed poll online and then I will go to solicitor. Sorry I didn't get what did you do with your deed poll that you had to pay 120£? I have a valid disclosure from uk as is required for my job so I guess I can attach this to my application xx