ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 - Canadian YMS 2 year expiring questions.

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gypsy_blood
Newly Registered
Canada

Tier 5 - Canadian YMS 2 year expiring questions.

Post by gypsy_blood » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi!

I am a Canadian on a 2 year Teir 5 - YMS visa that is due to expire Nov 10 2018. I have been trying to find information on a few things for when the end of my visa comes up. My boyfriend and I are planning on travelling SE asia for a number of months once my visa expires and then travel to Canada afterwards, however we were trying to see if there was anyway that I can potentially stay until after Christmas on a visitors visa, so that we can spend christmas with his family before we take off on our adventure.

I am uneducated in how the visitor visa would work as I thought that at the end of my 2 year visa I could leave the country and then return for up to 6 months as a tourist/visitor (not working). My plan was just until the end of the year. I do not want to cause any issue with my chances of re-entering the UK at any point (my boyfriend is a born uk citizen). However, this causes some issues in our plans if I can not re-enter for a short period of time after the visa expires.

Can anyone advise me on this?

The Station Agent

Re: Tier 5 - Canadian YMS 2 year expiring questions.

Post by The Station Agent » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 pm

If you've been here for 2 years, then you pop out somewhere, and come back a few days or weeks later, that looks very suspicious. Chances are you would have a hard time justifying or proving that you genuinely are just here as a visitor when you come back soon after the expiry of the visa.

gypsy_blood
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by gypsy_blood » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Would it help to have my ticket etc booked for SE Asian as proof I will be going elsewhere after the holiday season? Our hope would just to be staying until after Christmas, that would be it.

Thank you!

The Station Agent

Post by The Station Agent » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:52 am

I'd say the minimum you should carry with you on re-entry to the UK is proof of onward travel, proof of funds, and someone at least being available on the end of the phone to corroborate your story if the border officer has concerns and wants to speak to someone. Remember that having a boyfriend here does not give you the right to be here, unless you had a UK residence visa.

So, basically, the officer's concerns will be your finances, your intention to leave the UK, and whether or not you are working here (or claiming benefits/healthcare). Address those concerns and you stand the best chance.

Hopeful42
Singapore

Post by Hopeful42 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 pm

gypsy_blood wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm
Hi!

I am a Canadian on a 2 year Teir 5 - YMS visa that is due to expire Nov 10 2018. I have been trying to find information on a few things for when the end of my visa comes up. My boyfriend and I are planning on travelling SE asia for a number of months once my visa expires and then travel to Canada afterwards, however we were trying to see if there was anyway that I can potentially stay until after Christmas on a visitors visa, so that we can spend christmas with his family before we take off on our adventure.

I am uneducated in how the visitor visa would work as I thought that at the end of my 2 year visa I could leave the country and then return for up to 6 months as a tourist/visitor (not working). My plan was just until the end of the year. I do not want to cause any issue with my chances of re-entering the UK at any point (my boyfriend is a born uk citizen). However, this causes some issues in our plans if I can not re-enter for a short period of time after the visa expires.

Can anyone advise me on this?
I know a lot of people who have done this (wanted to travel at the end of their visa but then wanted to go back into the UK following this to pack stuff up, etc.) and I did myself as well shortly after the end of my visa and there were no issues.

They will ask you though your reason for re-entering and make sure you have your leaving ticket printed in case there are any issues. Wouldn’t hurt to have a bank statement either to show that you can fund your time as a tourist in the UK and won’t try to work illegally, etc.