ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Maya123
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by Maya123 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

jaguarpaw1236 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm
Agree 100% but I guess you wont get until you ask.

Just shared my experience, so it could help people who are in the same situation as me, as I was told by few members that the collection of OCI is not possible.

Thanks
Good that they gave you this option and it must be such a relief. Unfortunately, it seems as usual different people get given different information. We spoke directly to the helpline/information number and to VFS counter staff at London Hounslow and were told 'no' both times. Maybe it depends who you speak to and how you ask!

alien.uk
Mood:

Post by alien.uk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Hiring VFS to do the collection job is a wrong move and it will look ok now, but it is decision that embassy will regret in the long run.

The ever changing dynamic procedures with the Indian external affairs ministry is going to demand more formalities with respect to Indian visa and Consular services, the question of whether the VFS is equipped enough to address those changes remain a mystery.

Secondly, the staffs at the VFS Vs the staffs who respond to email/ phone ... Both are not in sync...

Thirdly, whether the VFS staffs are competent enough to take sensible decisions real time? Even if it means having an embassy staff at the counter for training will help... I find them poorly trained and lack basic interpersonal skills. I am not speaking on the basis of my one off experience but I have applied / accompanied a family of 4 for OCI, I myself applied Indian Visa twice , my own OCI experience, A friend of Mine who wanted to renew Indian passport etc... Each of the time, I have noted someway or the other the service they offer average.
Alien UK
ILR received - November 2014
Applied for Naturalisation - Feb 2016
Naturalisation Approval - Mar 2016
Passport Received - April 2016

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Maya123 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Good that they gave you this option and it must be such a relief. Unfortunately, it seems as usual different people get given different information. We spoke directly to the helpline/information number and to VFS counter staff at London Hounslow and were told 'no' both times. Maybe it depends who you speak to and how you ask!
This is more for Emergency situations. In that case, High Commission / Embassy deals directly with the decision making. VFS cant expedite on Emergency. In Embassies of big cities like Paris, New York, Dubai - daily many people come with lost Passport situation while being tourist/visitors and their cases are expedited directly by Embassy staff without any role of VFS. A friend of mine had his bag stolen containing 4 passports (him, his wife and 2 children) in Paris Airport train-when he went to Embassy- there was a queue of around 10 people who had lost their passports and wanted emergency help. Somebody has death in family and may need emergency documents immediately to go to India-then Embassy can help. For routine cases like us living here, they will not expedite the case.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:15 pm

alien.uk wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 pm
Hiring VFS to do the collection job is a wrong move and it will look ok now, but it is decision that embassy will regret in the long run.

The ever changing dynamic procedures with the Indian external affairs ministry is going to demand more formalities with respect to Indian visa and Consular services, the question of whether the VFS is equipped enough to address those changes remain a mystery.

Secondly, the staffs at the VFS Vs the staffs who respond to email/ phone ... Both are not in sync...

Thirdly, whether the VFS staffs are competent enough to take sensible decisions real time? Even if it means having an embassy staff at the counter for training will help... I find them poorly trained and lack basic interpersonal skills. I am not speaking on the basis of my one off experience but I have applied / accompanied a family of 4 for OCI, I myself applied Indian Visa twice , my own OCI experience, A friend of Mine who wanted to renew Indian passport etc... Each of the time, I have noted someway or the other the service they offer average.
Process gets changed so often.

1) This online application system needs to get changed as it is becoming double work. Online is good only if it is only online. When we are supposed to make 3 rounds of VFS, once for Surrender and twice for OCI, whats the point of Online aplication. When we are submitting original and photocopies, whats the point of scanning uploading? Lot of time got wasted in scanning signature, photos with the file limit !!! We should have Paper application. Afterall they are also taking print out only of online application.

2) In USA there is CKGS company, in Canada there is BLS and in UK there is VFS. All three countries have different process for OCI card. Cant they make it uniform way !!! In canada, one can apply simultaneously for both Surrender as well as OCI card. In USA, one can sumit by post the application to CKGS center and passport is taken at the start but returned. When dispatched from New Delhi, OCI card comes straight to the applicant. UK-VFS system needs to be on par with those countries.

Cf_firefly

Post by Cf_firefly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Cf_firefly wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm
OCI Timeline for Application for 1 Minor
VFS Center: London Goswell Road
Application Date: 05th Jan 2018
Date of acknowledgement: 08th Jan 2018
Original docs Received: 11th Jan 2018
Documents Printing Status: 29th Jan 2018
Dispatched From NEW DELHI: 29th Jan 2018
Document received At London : 29th Jan 2018
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON: 2nd Feb 2018
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED:

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 am

takdeerwala wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:15 pm
alien.uk wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Process gets changed so often.

1) This online application system needs to get changed as it is becoming double work. Online is good only if it is only online. When we are supposed to make 3 rounds of VFS, once for Surrender and twice for OCI, whats the point of Online aplication. When we are submitting original and photocopies, whats the point of scanning uploading? Lot of time got wasted in scanning signature, photos with the file limit !!! We should have Paper application. Afterall they are also taking print out only of online application.

2) In USA there is CKGS company, in Canada there is BLS and in UK there is VFS. All three countries have different process for OCI card. Cant they make it uniform way !!! In canada, one can apply simultaneously for both Surrender as well as OCI card. In USA, one can sumit by post the application to CKGS center and passport is taken at the start but returned. When dispatched from New Delhi, OCI card comes straight to the applicant. UK-VFS system needs to be on par with those countries.
very good insight by @alien.uk and information by @takdeerwala about USA, Canada in comparison to UK
Also compare this to Pakistani, Bangladeshi nationals in UK who carry DUAL nationalities, while India is stuck in colonial past. I have accompanied Pakistani to Pakistani Consulate for visa because he is Spanish national and had to give up pak nationality and still got visa in a day, otherwise too he alternatively should have got Overseas card which would have given him lifelong entry permit.
Previously I strongly I tried to make sense with NRIs here to lobby for dual nationality, but nobody cared or dismissed it as non-issue.
If interested hit facebook slash ocirights to know about Indian in America taking this dual nationality issue in Bangalore high court

At least whole process should be simple case of swap of OCI for indian passport? why go through surrender -> submit documents -> DX deliveries etc? Just post indian passport, Pay money and get OCI booklet?

in risk of sounding unpatriotic indian, India and Indians are only talk and talk but are waste when it comes to action. I am saying this not only in reference to OCI thisng but also when I formed fb group to fight judicial review of ever increasing Tier-1(G)/ILR fees, changes of rule etc. when vast majority of indian immigrants were demotivating me
Disclaimer: This post does not contain legal advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:45 am

Can members please desist from dragging this topic off course discussing world immigration issues and stick to the topic title of OCI only!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Maya123
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Maya123 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:58 am

takdeerwala wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:07 pm
Maya123 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

This is more for Emergency situations. In that case, High Commission / Embassy deals directly with the decision making. VFS cant expedite on Emergency. In Embassies of big cities like Paris, New York, Dubai - daily many people come with lost Passport situation while being tourist/visitors and their cases are expedited directly by Embassy staff without any role of VFS. A friend of mine had his bag stolen containing 4 passports (him, his wife and 2 children) in Paris Airport train-when he went to Embassy- there was a queue of around 10 people who had lost their passports and wanted emergency help. Somebody has death in family and may need emergency documents immediately to go to India-then Embassy can help. For routine cases like us living here, they will not expedite the case.
What you say makes complete sense - 'Emergency' is subjective though, right? It says everywhere not to book tickets in advance when applying for OCI, I took the risk and I did book my flights - I really don't think wedding shopping for my younger brother's wedding counts as an emergency, but surely an OCI is more of a long-term document, so in an emergency, I would have thought they would suggest to apply for the e-visa or the normal tourist visa and then expedite that for the emergency. My plan was to get an e-visa if my OCI process was not completed in time - I was fortunate in the end to get it in time.

shivsuk
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by shivsuk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:52 am

Hi,

Please can you help me out...

I applied for OCI in (London - Hounslow) still i didn't get any response {more than 3months}

Date Of Acknowledgment 26-OCT-2017
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS

Thanks.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:25 pm

shivsuk wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:52 am
Hi,

Please can you help me out...

I applied for OCI in (London - Hounslow) still i didn't get any response {more than 3months}

Date Of Acknowledgment 26-OCT-2017
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS

Thanks.
If you can post complete Timeline in proper format, it will be helpful.

OCI Timeline
VFS Center:
Application Date:
Date of acknowledgement:
Original docs Received:
Documents Printing Status:
Dispatched From NEW DELHI:
Document received At London :
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON:

Also the basis of OCI application like past Indian Citizenship or due to spouse/parents ? Have you tried to contact HCI or VFS ?

shivsuk
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by shivsuk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 pm

OCI Timeline
VFS Center: London - Hounslow
Application Date: 25-Oct-2017
Date of acknowledgement: 26-OCT-2017
Original docs Received: Yes { Surrender Certificate }
Documents Printing Status: UNDER-PROCESS
Dispatched From NEW DELHI: ----
Document received At London : ----
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON: ----
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: NO

Also the basis of OCI application like past Indian Citizenship or due to spouse/parents ? Have you tried to contact HCI or VFS ? { Indian Citizenship / No}

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 pm

On which date did you get Surrender Certificate back?
Any issues or questions with VFS while submitting the application?
Using your application number, you can check the pdf files of the documents you uploaded on the website while applying for OCI online, everything is submitted there? No mistake in uploading-nothing missed ?
No employment criteria issues like people in service with Home Office/Defense/ Security- IT contractors are not eligible for OCI card !!!
If you think that everything was in perfect order, then why not send them email (HCI-London). They also have some open House sessions where one can go in person.
https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=13

We can only speculate here as per normal situation. If one gets confirmation from London that delay is from New Delhi, people in the past have even submitted RTI in Indian office. Few pages back in this thread, one applicant has posted whole process about filing RTI.

RGSIVA
Newly Registered
India

Post by RGSIVA » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 am

RGSIVA wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 am
Application Date: 02 / 02 / 2018
VFS Center: VFS Bristol
Date of acknowledgment: 05 / 02 / 2018 got sms
Original docs Received: 09/02/2018
Documents Printing Status: Got email your application is under process
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI:
Document received
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON:

Cf_firefly

Post by Cf_firefly » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am

Final Update

OCI Timeline for Application for 1 Minor
VFS Center: London Goswell Road
Application Date: 05th Jan 2018
Date of acknowledgement: 08th Jan 2018
Original docs Received: 11th Jan 2018
Documents Printing Status: 29th Jan 2018
Dispatched From NEW DELHI: 29th Jan 2018
Document received At London : 29th Jan 2018
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON: 2nd Feb 2018
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: 08th Feb 2018

Suds123
Newly Registered

Post by Suds123 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:10 pm

OCI Timeline for Application for 2 minor and 1 Adult
VFS Center: Leicester
Application Date: 29th Jan 2018
Date of acknowledgement: 31st Jan 2018
Original docs Received: 2nd Feb 2018
Documents Printing Status: -
Dispatched From NEW DELHI: -
Document received At London : -
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON: -
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED: -

I have got tks booked to india for 7th march.. Lets see if we get it.. else will apply e-visa :)

Stillwaitings
Newly Registered

Post by Stillwaitings » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 am

inforthelonghaul wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:29 am
Stillwaitings wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:37 pm
takdeerwala wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:15 pm
Stillwaitings wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:58 am

And I’m still waiting. I asked the high commission who I can escalate this to and they sent me the screen shot from the OCI website. I contacted helpdesk-oci@gov.in however haven’t had a response from them yet.
For HCI London candidates, there is a Public Response Unit. You can try Phone as well as E-mail.

Tried that number, wasn’t any help. The email I had already emailed. Contacted VFS too but unlikely that they will be able to help. Still not had a response from the email I stated above. No idea of any other avenues to pursue...guess I will have to wait.
Hi Stillwaiting have you had any joy with your wife's OCI? I'm having the same problems however my wait hasn't been as long as yours, under process since 21st Nov. It's so frustrating.
I’m in india at the moment and thought I’d check my wife’s status...it was processed on the 8th February. Jut under 5 months. Well and the additional time for when I get back to the uk and submit her passport, etc. Hope you have had some movement on your OCI.

inforthelonghaul
Newly Registered

Post by inforthelonghaul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 am

Stillwaitings wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 am
inforthelonghaul wrote:
Stillwaitings wrote:
takdeerwala wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:15 pm

For HCI London candidates, there is a Public Response Unit. You can try Phone as well as E-mail.

Tried that number, wasn’t any help. The email I had already emailed. Contacted VFS too but unlikely that they will be able to help. Still not had a response from the email I stated above. No idea of any other avenues to pursue...guess I will have to wait.
Hi Stillwaiting have you had any joy with your wife's OCI? I'm having the same problems however my wait hasn't been as long as yours, under process since 21st Nov. It's so frustrating.
I’m in india at the moment and thought I’d check my wife’s status...it was processed on the 8th February. Jut under 5 months. Well and the additional time for when I get back to the uk and submit her passport, etc. Hope you have had some movement on your OCI.
Thats fantastic news and well overdue. Like you my wife had to apply for a visa as we are heading off to India in just under a week however, its reassuring to know you eventually got your wife's OCI, hopefully working on your timeframe we should get my wife's in April.

pkris.k

Post by pkris.k » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:32 pm

pkris.k wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 am
pkris.k wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm
pkris.k wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 pm
Timeline of my OCI:
Application Date: 29-DEC-2017
VFS Center: VFS Hounslow
Date of acknowledgment: 02-Jan-2018
Original docs Received:03-Jan-2018
Documents Printing Status: Processed on 22-Jan-17
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI: 22-Jan-17
Document received At London: 22-Jan-17
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON: 23-Jan-17
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED:31-Jan-17

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:43 pm

Stillwaitings wrote:

Congratulations Stillwaitings.

inforthelonghaul
Newly Registered

Post by inforthelonghaul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:05 pm

[/quote]

Thats fantastic news and well overdue. Like you my wife had to apply for a visa as we are heading off to India in just under a week however, its reassuring to know you eventually got your wife's OCI, hopefully working on your timeframe we should get my wife's in April.
[/quote]

Processed this afternoon, 12th Feb, over the moon :D

Stillwaitings
Newly Registered

Post by Stillwaitings » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 am

inforthelonghaul wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 am
Stillwaitings wrote:
inforthelonghaul wrote:
Stillwaitings wrote:

Have a fantastic time. Hopefully your wife will get her application processed while you are here 😊

Stillwaitings
Newly Registered

Post by Stillwaitings » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 am

takdeerwala wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:43 pm
Stillwaitings wrote:

Congratulations Stillwaitings.
Thank you!

Stillwaitings
Newly Registered

Post by Stillwaitings » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:12 am

inforthelonghaul wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:05 pm
[/quote]

Processed this afternoon, 12th Feb, over the moon :D
[/quote]

Just saw this...Awesome! Congrats!

fbacker
Newly Registered

Post by fbacker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 am

fbacker wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:56 am
fbacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am
OCI timeline for Application for 2 Adults & 1 Minor
VFS Center: Bradford
Application Date:9th Jan 2018
Date of acknowledgement: 11th Jan 2018
Original docs Received: 15th Jan 2018
Documents Printing Status: Processed on 9th Feb 2018
Dispatched From NEW DELHI: 13th Feb 2018
Document received At Birmingham: 13th Feb 2018
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON: 14th Feb 2018

DesiScot
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by DesiScot » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am

Hi Guys

Can someone please confirm when we submit documents in person, do we submit to the original vfs building where we submitted application or the Indian consulate(embassy) where it was sent by VFS??

PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON! where?

Thanks