ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Personal Savings for Dependent Visa Application

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jethro22
Newly Registered

Family Visa or Marriage Visitor Visa

Post by Jethro22 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Hello to you all. :D

I did try to look for threads with similar facts as what I have, but I found none. Or it could be that I did not try harder, so please accept my apologies if this topic may have already been dealt with previously.

The facts are summarised below:

(1) My partner and I are nationals of the same country, and we are in a genuine relationship for a little over six years.

(2) I currently work and live in the UK on a Tier 2 General Visa (sponsored by my current employer) expiring in July 2020. On the other hand, my partner works and lives in our home country.

(3) We plan to enter into a civil partnership in the UK because it is impossible for us to get married or enter into a civil partnership in our home country due to certain constraints.

(4) In the course of our relationship, we have never lived together. We only see each other every December/January during the festive season (i.e. Christmas and New Year).

(5) We like travelling, and so early in our relationship, we invested in a timeshare scheme and we have ownership certificate to prove it. We jointly paid for it and we are still paying the annual fee. This is the only hard evidence I can think of in order to demonstrate that we are in a genuine relationship (if Facebook chats, photos, testimonies from friends and family are not considered hard evidence).

Based on the above facts, the key questions/confusions I have are the following:

(A) I have a confusion between a Family Visa and Marriage Visitor Visa in that it seems that both can been used for the plan to get married or enter into a civil partnership. Please advise.

(B) Under the route of a Family Visa, my understanding is that we need to enter into a civil partnership within 6 months of arriving into the UK, as the Family Visa will only be valid for six months for a proposed civil partner anyway (i.e. spouse will have a longer visa validity). Once we have successfully entered into a civil partnership, does this mean that my partner can apply for an extension of the Family Visa from within the UK?

(C) Under the route of a Marriage Visitor Visa, similarly, my understanding is that we need to enter into a civil partnership within 6 months of arriving into the UK, and my partner needs to return to our home country after the civil partnership and definitely on or before the expiry of the Marriage Visitor Visa. If want to live together after entering into a civil partnership, does this mean that my partner can only apply for a Family Visa from our home country (i.e. no longer as a proposed civil partner)?

(D) If the answer to both routes above is yes, which one is going to be more economical? My view is that there will not be much of a difference cost-wise. Under the route of a Family Visa, the total approximate cost is £4,657 (i.e. £1,464 for the initial application, £600 for the immigration health charge in respect of the initial application, £1,000 for the airfare, £993 for the extension and another £600 for the immigration health charge in respect of the extension). Under the route of a Marriage Visitor Visa, the total approximate is £4,651 (i.e. £87 for the initial application, £1,500 for the return airfare on the first trip to the UK, £1,464 for the application of a Family Visa after the civil partnership, £600 for the immigration health charge and £1,000 for the airfare on the second trip to the UK). However, there will be a huge difference in cost if the initial application is not successful, as losing £1,464 under the unsuccessful route of a Family Visa is definitely a lot of loss compared to £87 unsuccessful route under the route of a Marriage Visitor Visa.

(E) Based on the facts above, which of the routes is more likely to result in a successful application? My view is that the route of a Marriage Visitor Visa is more likely to be successful because it is easier to prove the plan to enter into a civil relationship than to prove that we are in a genuine relationship.

I appreciate that the above points are a lot to take, but I would really appreciate your thoughts and/or responses, as my partner and I are really keen to be together after all these years. We thought it is about time to do something to get our relationship into the next level and become truly, truly happy – six years of being in a long distance relationship is long enough. :(

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Best regards

Jethro :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Family Visa or Marriage Visitor Visa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:23 pm

You don't qualify for the fiance visa (which is a settlement category visa) because you hold a tier 2 general visa. You cannot apply for any of the Family visas under the settlement category that you have quoted the prices for.

Marriage visitor visa can be applied for and your partner cannot switch visas within the UK and will have to return to their home country to submit a tier 2 dependent application there.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jethro22
Newly Registered

Re: Family Visa or Marriage Visitor Visa

Post by Jethro22 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Short answer, but it definitely clarifies a lot. Thanks very much CR001.

Jethro22
Newly Registered

Personal Savings for Dependent Visa Application

Post by Jethro22 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 am

Hello all,

My partner will apply for a dependent visa in June 2018. From my reading of the requirements, I understand that each dependant must have £630, in addition to the £945 that I must have to support myself. With our current financial status, this should not be a problem.

However, I am planning to apply for a personal loan, which is expected to be much higher than my outstanding balance in my bank account. The proceeds of the loan will be used for a couple of things (i.e. it will not stay in my bank account). I will obviously pay the monthly due for the personal loan and my bank account will still show positive balance at the end of each month.

Will this plan have an impact on our ability to prove that I can support my partner and myself, given that I will effectively be in on a net liability position?

Looking forward to your insights.

Kind regards,

Jethro22