ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Test

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

22Faisal
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bangladesh

English Language Test

Post by 22Faisal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:21 am

Hi all,
I am new to the group and I hope I am posting my query on the correct board. I have ILR and my wife is now going to apply FLR M as my spouse from inside the UK. She has a UK University PGD degree. Does she still need to satisfy English language requirement by giving A1 test? I know the guideance note say , a UK University taught Bachelors, Masters or PHD is accepted but there is no information as to whether a Post Graduate Diploma from UK will be accepted. I called Home Office few times and they have asked me to follow guidance notes or speak to UK NARIC who now say they cannot advise in this regard.
So getting really confused now. Can anyone help me out here? Your response would be greatly appreciated.

vinny

Re: English Language Test

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am

According to the caseworker's KoLL guidance, it's acceptable for B1 English language. If she is going to use it, then refer the caseworker to this guidance.

Strangely, diplomas are not mentioned in other Annex FM 1.21 English Language Requirement Guidance nor in Appendix FM-SE.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

22Faisal
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bangladesh

Post by 22Faisal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks a lot for the reply. I did read that and I was confused whether it is only applicable to ILR and naturalizaion applications. I spoke to UK NARIC and they said application is likely to be refused as HO will only accept a UK Bachelors, Masters or PHD and nothing in between as the PGD she has falls between a Bachelor and Masters.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 am

Unfortunately, their guidances are inconsistent, probably due to the complexity of the rules.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

22Faisal
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bangladesh

Post by 22Faisal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 am

I spoke to HO just now and they have gone through the KOLL guidance and said, it is applicable for settlement and citizenship application. And the spouse flr m application is not one of them.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:05 am

That's the difficulty with inconsistent guidances.

There was a similar situation where a guidance was obviously flawed and incompatible with the regulations and other guidances.

Out goes common sense and logic.

22Faisal
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bangladesh

Post by 22Faisal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 am

So should I still apply with the PGD or is it better that my wife sits an English test.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 am

Probably safer to take an approved English test due to the deficiencies of the caseworker's FM guidance, compared with the KoLL guidance.